Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
please save me
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Computer Tech Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stealth
▲RAWR TRIANGLE RAWR▲

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:24 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Your computer will gradually run slower and slower with all the crap you put on it that you don't know. Each time you go to a site (unless you have the options changed to your liking) it'll put things like cookies and all this other stuff on it. Reformating is one of the many options to keep your computer running really fast since reformating deletes everything on your computer and you start out with nothing but the defaults.

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
massive
Captain Ass Kicking Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:26 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Jabberwocky wrote:
i reformat every 3-4 months usually. this time i did something smart- anything i needed to download (games, apps, drivers, etc), i put onto a secondary hard drive (only 3gb, holding music and downloads) so next time i reformat, it will be a lot less painful.

Thats what I do, put everything on secondary drives and or my file server.

BTW -- All you kids should build a file server for yourselves from the old computer junk you or your parents have lying around. Then those real important things, MP3s, JPGs, and homework files will be a little safer Wink
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:10 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

massive wrote:
BTW -- All you kids should build a file server for yourselves from the old computer junk you or your parents have lying around. Then those real important things, MP3s, JPGs, and homework files will be a little safer Wink

I'm a step ahead of you buddeh.
SupaFly
Gunner Fan Club President

Location: sunnydale mental institution (for the mentally unstable) ((like me)) (((supa)))
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:46 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

all i need is a case & a big ass hard drive & i got one

(ive been planning this for a while, thats why im holding off on the reformat.... also, i do have my music, warez, haxxx & pr0n on another drive, but its just another partition of the only HD i have & i wanna change the partition sizes, so i need the fileserver to do it right, i dont feel like installing windows just for fun...

but i did an install over once for fun, just to see if it helped... its not too hard & will sometimes make broken proggies work again, not a real fix, but its a time buyer.... it cleaned out my registry really well)

(wow, longest () ever, go me)
CountChocula
Warning- may cause CountChoculitis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:49 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

(he thinks HE had the longest () ever... ahh screw it it's too late for me to type a bunch of crap inside parenthesis... but look out tomorrow supa.. heh heh hehhhhhh)
[20:43] -≠∫ĆŤ∫≠- ŜρξčļαГ јỈмMﻻ: we'll aim for bender
[20:43] -≠∫ĆŤ∫≠- ŜρξčļαГ јỈмMﻻ: but use a lot of napalm
SupaFly

Location: sunnydale mental institution (for the mentally unstable) ((like me)) (((supa)))
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:05 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

actually i meant it was a personal best.... and im the () guy anyway, check my past posts....
massive
Captain Ass Kicking Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:21 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

What would a big ass hard drive be to you Supa? How big?

(maybe I can help out in that situation, maybe send one your way - isn't it your birthday soon anyways? and then you'd have to tell me what type - I mean there's IDE, then there's EIDE, of course there are SCSI, but a big ass SCSI is gonna be big ass bucks so i proly wouldn't send one of them bastards, and of course there's SATA and the price on those babies has fallen way down, but then your motherboard has to support it, or get a controller, maybe i'd send a controller along too, and the cables, but if you're gonna slap some old parts together that might be overkill, of course you could replace your gaming drive with a new one (ghost it over to the new one of course) and put your existing drive in the backup PC, or if it's too small it may not be worth it, and then again this just may end up being the longest run on sentence that i;ve ever typed, with only a half a care to spelling and punctuation, so what do ya think, jus let me know)
SupaFly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:21 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

eh, dun worry, i gotta get a bnuncha stuff from newegg anyhoo.... and honestly, ive never built anything but an ide... ive thought about doin a scsi or sata/raid one, but then i look at how much they fucking cost & back to my good ol ata 133... i think i might just buy a new 120 GB seagate & put in the file server... cept im callin it a file server & my son is gonna call it his computer Razz (is it just me or does it seem odd for a 3 yr old to have his own comp??? he already has a pos mac my dad got for free, but he likes the regular pcs better (thats my boy))
Cap'n Sprite
Crazy Puertorican
Crazy Puertorican

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:28 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

SupaFly wrote:
eh, dun worry, i gotta get a bnuncha stuff from newegg anyhoo.... and honestly, ive never built anything but an ide... ive thought about doin a scsi or sata/raid one, but then i look at how much they fucking cost & back to my good ol ata 133... i think i might just buy a new 120 GB seagate & put in the file server... cept im callin it a file server & my son is gonna call it his computer Razz (is it just me or does it seem odd for a 3 yr old to have his own comp??? he already has a pos mac my dad got for free, but he likes the regular pcs better (thats my boy))

Watch out, the kid may know how to search pr0n. And I can trut in you Supa, tach ur kid the way of the hax. Razz
Rally Monkey
So if you could just restore that rank..

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:29 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

SupaFly wrote:
all i need is a case & a big ass hard drive & i got one

(ive been planning this for a while, thats why im holding off on the reformat.... also, i do have my music, warez, haxxx & pr0n on another drive, but its just another partition of the only HD i have & i wanna change the partition sizes, so i need the fileserver to do it right, i dont feel like installing windows just for fun...

but i did an install over once for fun, just to see if it helped... its not too hard & will sometimes make broken proggies work again, not a real fix, but its a time buyer.... it cleaned out my registry really well)

(wow, longest () ever, go me)

2 words - Partition Magic

Get it use it...
Cap'n Sprite
Crazy Puertorican
Crazy Puertorican

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:31 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

User-posted image
Rally Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:36 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Off topic we and there's nothing you can do about it!!!

Partition Magic is great for resizing partitions I highly recommend it for you're trying to do supa...
Cap'n Sprite
Crazy Puertorican
Crazy Puertorican

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:48 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Rally you still have those turtles on ur avatar and sig, you can take em off you know Very Happy
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:05 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

massive wrote:
What would a big ass hard drive be to you Supa? How big?

(maybe I can help out in that situation, maybe send one your way - isn't it your birthday soon anyways? and then you'd have to tell me what type - I mean there's IDE, then there's EIDE, of course there are SCSI, but a big ass SCSI is gonna be big ass bucks so i proly wouldn't send one of them bastards, and of course there's SATA and the price on those babies has fallen way down, but then your motherboard has to support it, or get a controller, maybe i'd send a controller along too, and the cables, but if you're gonna slap some old parts together that might be overkill, of course you could replace your gaming drive with a new one (ghost it over to the new one of course) and put your existing drive in the backup PC, or if it's too small it may not be worth it, and then again this just may end up being the longest run on sentence that i;ve ever typed, with only a half a care to spelling and punctuation, so what do ya think, jus let me know)

I could use a nice juicy IDE drive for my file server!!! It needs to be quiet too.

I could use it as my A+ cert present Very Happy
SupaFly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:18 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Rally Monkey wrote:
Partition Magic is great for resizing partitions I highly recommend it for you're trying to do supa...

not ill its all backed up... i lost a lotta data once to partion magic.... i dun trust it anymore
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Computer Tech Section All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: