Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
Must. Do. This.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Computer Tech Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:39 pm 
Post subject: Must. Do. This.
Top Reply with quote

I'm about to shit myself on this one. I think i'm gonna go get batteries for this old cordless that's lying around.

http://www.grynx.com/index.php/projects/siemens-skype/

Jesus fucking l33t

You know how awesome that is? I could walk around my house on the phone and talk, and pretend like I have REAL friends! Seriously, we could hang in TS and I could be in my bathroom taking a crap or something.

This is a really cheap alternative to stupid bluetooth and WIFI headsets. I suppose if I really wanted to, I could dissasemble the reciever unit and attach a cheesy old headset or something. Some even have jacks for headsets, dont they?

I need to learn how to solder and then do this. Now.
theboomboom
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:51 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

1337 man!

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Xfire Username MSN Messenger
Cap'n Sprite
Crazy Puertorican
Crazy Puertorican

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:10 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

ROFL, so you'r talking through the phone, but your actually talking to us in TS Question
ChrisT
John Jameson
<font color=#50C5FF><b>John Jameson</b></font>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:01 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Cap'n Sprite wrote:
ROFL, so you'r talking through the phone, but your actually talking to us in TS Question

yes
you have to use the wireless phones wireless technology, so that you can be well uhh...
Wireless.

But the Phone is hooked up to the computer, not the phone line
Cap'n Sprite
Crazy Puertorican
Crazy Puertorican

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:11 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Slaughter wrote:
Cap'n Sprite wrote:

yes
you have to use the wireless phones wireless technology, so that you can be well uhh...
Wireless.

But the Phone is hooked up to the computer, not the phone line

OMG, We could be rich with this.

You have no RL friends. You wanna fool someone to think you are cool and talkign with a friend on the phone, then we got the perfect gadget for you.

THE WANGER MOBILE.

j/k Very Happy

But actually this would be so cool. I can just see anyone taking a shit and talking on ts. Laughing
Stealth
▲RAWR TRIANGLE RAWR▲

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:20 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Cap'n Sprite wrote:

But actually this would be so cool. I can just see anyone taking a shit and talking on ts. Laughing

That would scare me to death... Shocked

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:26 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

UPDATE: I just got a new 900mhz basic Uniden cordless for $10 at Wal-Mart. I charged it up and took a look.

So far I've found the output jack. I took an old toasted headset, snipped the wires, put the plug into my PC, played Hava Nagila and fucked around a bit while my dad held the handset. It worked! It came through VERY clear when I was able to keep my hands from jittering with excitement, otherwise the scratching would mean bad static.

Dissapointed that I couldn't find the input jack ... sort of. What I did was put the mic wire jack into my PC, set up Sound Recorder and pressed record while testing around on the circuit board and singing Hava Nagila into the phone like a maniac. I did this several times but it never really worked out. I DID manage to capture my voice at one point. I played back one file and heard a quick HAVA and that was it Sad

What did kind of help was the markings GND and LIN1 on the PCB Smile Once i find the input jack, I am going to buy some female headphone jacks and put them in the phone base station's casing. This way I can put plugs into it and talk on TS with you guys and still use it as a regular cordless phone Smile

We'll see though. I'm really excited about finally doing a project like this. Seriously, I'm hyped Smile .. what a nerd I am Very Happy
Cap'n Sprite
Crazy Puertorican
Crazy Puertorican

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:12 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Wang Chung wrote:
.. what a nerd I am Very Happy

LMAO, Wang don't be so hard on urself Laughing
SupaFly
Gunner Fan Club President

Location: sunnydale mental institution (for the mentally unstable) ((like me)) (((supa)))
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:41 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

a few questions:

1. does the phone have a headphone jack?

2. how can u attempt this without knowing how to solder?? (lol, its not like its hard, but u shoudl really get some practice... what looks like a good connection, isnt always that great.. my dads an electrician, i learned how to solder at like 8-9)

if the phone has a jack, remember, thats in AND out, this thing is mono, so there wont be 2 line in wires, one speaker, one lead, the other one would be your input (like the outside of the plug would be in & the post would be out, or maybe vice versa, i haveno clue what the standard is on that)
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:44 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

SupaFly wrote:
a few questions:

1. does the phone have a headphone jack?

2. how can u attempt this without knowing how to solder?? (lol, its not like its hard, but u shoudl really get some practice... what looks like a good connection, isnt always that great.. my dads an electrician, i learned how to solder at like 8-9)

if the phone has a jack, remember, thats in AND out, this thing is mono, so there wont be 2 line in wires, one speaker, one lead, the other one would be your input (like the outside of the plug would be in & the post would be out, or maybe vice versa, i haveno clue what the standard is on that)

Yeah I just taught myself how to solder, it isn't all that had. No big deal.

The phone lacks a headphone jack. You have to test around to see if you can find which is the line in and out. So, there are no jacks. Yes, I understand it's mono, but all you do is jsut solder both L and R to the connection and ground it somewhere. GG nub.
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:57 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Anyway, supa and I decided the best way to go about this was to splice a phone wire and just splice the HP jacks onto those wires. I was hoping to find an old female RJ11 from an old phone or something so I could make it a modular plug ... or something.

EDIT: I just checked GRYNX and Chris sent me this reply:

Chris wrote:
Inside an RJ11 the two middle pins (2&3) are the ones that carry your telephone voice. The two other ones (1&4) send the telephone to the next phone so this we can ignore.

The problem is that in the computer we have one cable (ground & signal) with audio in and one cable (ground & signal) with audio out. A telephone also has this internally, but it mixes the two before it reaches the actual telephone line.

What you want to do it to have a look at another project at Grynx where we do exactly what you want. Have a look at Build your own chat-cord

So simply put, it doesn't work that way. Thanks alot, stupid ancient phone system. My granpda built like half the phone system so perhaps I'll consult him and see what his 86 year old arse has to say.

And for the chat cord Chris mentions:

http://www.grynx.com/index.php/projects/build-your-own-chat-cord/

THAT looks a lot better, but too complicated for me! Supa, give it a go. I command you.

EDIT: With this Chat-Cord, you can dial skype and jawns, but can you use it as just a mic as well? Who knows, they're only $20-$30 in the US...
SupaFly

Location: sunnydale mental institution (for the mentally unstable) ((like me)) (((supa)))
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:33 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

dude, that chat cord is what u should do, its pretty simple & radio shack can hook ur ass up with EVERYTHING to make it.... i read about half of it so far & nothin looks too complicated, but u gotta ignore his math cuz US phones run on like 40V, not 60 & in europe the frequency is different (eu 50, us 60 i believe) ima look into this one a bit more & maybe skip the phone hack & make one of these, it actually looks simpler to me (and a lot safer, u dun have to worry about draining a cap into ur sound card)
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:55 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Ya really think so? Well, if that's the case, th00per! As long as I can still use it to just talk to you guys over TS and not have to dial anything or bullshit like that.

Tell me where you get with it and we can share it with the guys at Grynx. I'll let you go first on this one, i still think it looks complicated.
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:53 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Here are the american specs:

We use 48v @ 20Hz to ring.
On Hook is 52v at 300 to 1800 ohms.
Off hook is 12v at 680 ohms (ideal).
SupaFly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:56 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

680 ohms..... FUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!!!!

ok, i went diving through a box of resistors my dad had (prolly 200-300 plactic bags that are 20 packs) looking for that stupid fucking 150 ohm resistor.... it went kinda like this... (150k, 1k,330, 680, 1k, 1k, 680, 1k, 680..... (10 mins later...) OMG 150!!!!!!!!) so yeah, back to the box... either that or put the 4 150s i found in series, that should be close enough.... and i found a place to get the power too (9v battery is a shitty idea IMO) ima splice the power cord thats running the base (i gotta check what the voltage is, but it should be 9 or 12, both either should be fine) about the only thing i have to go buy is the transformer... we found a couple, but they werent center cut & i dont wanna dig through piles of old electronics, lookin for one, ill just stop @ radio shack the next chance i get....

680, fuck, i musta seen 10 packs of them..... bitches.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Computer Tech Section All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: