Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
Family computer got raped anallly
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Computer Tech Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:52 pm 
Post subject: Family computer got raped anallly
Top Reply with quote

So my mom is plugging in some fucking phone, and she slips and hits the switch on the surge protector but not all of the way off - essentially it's between on and off. It looks like it's majorly fucked the computer up the ass. After my stepdad tried booting it thrice, and it failing to turn on, they called me to the job.

I checked the little fucking piece of shit eMachine out, and god damn, that PSU was fucking hot as hell, so I assumed something was majorly pissing the bastard off. Perhaps it was just from the heat, or even a combination of both. I decided to test out the mobo using a PSU from my old Dell, and that didn't work, likely because the older PSU had that stupid pentium connector and wouldn't turn on without it plugged in to something.

I fucked around a bit with that and I went back and just put the original eMachines PSU back in and it now booted. Of course, nothing displays on the monitor and it doesn't look like the keyboard is functioning (note this is MY keyboard and MY monitor, not their keyboard and monitor, their monitor was also fried, but fuck you, we'll get to that). Absolutely nothing. I'm guessing that POST isn't completing or something, but the system is clearly running (you can hear the CPU fan) and the HDD activity light comes on (unless that isn't the HDD activity light).

I'm gonna run a few more tests, and do a few things like reset the CMOS and that crap just to see if I can fucking do anything. The HDD is safe though - I have it slave'd up to my PC right now and made an image of it with NORTON GHOST.

I have to go eat dinner now, maybe I'll edit in the details, but here are my issues:

If the mobo is fried, is there any chance the CPU and RAM still function?

I attempted putting the HDD in my old dell (which boots fine), but it won't boot windows from that hard drive. I'm guessing that's because there's a conflict between what the drive thinks the computer is and vice versa, so:

A: Can I alter this somehow? In other words, reset the system config crap on the hard drive, plug it back in, boot, have windows re-fuckerize itself on the Dell and have most of my family's settings remain intact?

B: If this won't work, can I reformat the HDD and install XP on the HDD as it's in the Dell, then use files and settings transfer wizard to take the files from the disk IMG and plop them back on to the hard drive? NOTE: eMachines PC was winXP home.

more coming .. pizza getting cold.
SupaFly
Gunner Fan Club President

Location: sunnydale mental institution (for the mentally unstable) ((like me)) (((supa)))
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:31 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

if the mobo is shot, yes the cpu & ram MIGHT be ok.... buuuut, your mobo isnt fried (fans need to see it to run) if i had to take a stab at it, itd be the cpu... if u have another one thatll fit the socket, try it, if that dun work, then im full of shit & your mobo is gona (ram should be cool & even without ram it should post, not totally sure on that, but memtest is after post)

as for the hard drive... as long as its the same mobo (i have NO idea why this is, even if u dont install mobo driversthis happens) windows will restart... ive done this a few times (thank you newegg for stocking shit FOREVER) but if its a diff mobo (esp when dealing with off the rack shit) it prolly wont boot... but if u have it ghosted, couldnt u reformat & then use the files & setting transfer shit (ive seen it, but never used it) or just ghost it to what it was before it fucked & try to boot (but im assuming thats what its at now)

anyhoo, if youre too lazy to read all that
1st try cpu
2nd new mobo (same model)
3rd throw that pos emachines out the window & build them a real computer
2shoes
1337 CT badass bow
1337 CT badass bow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:06 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

SupaFly wrote:
3rd throw that pos emachines out the window & build them a real computer
and charge em out the ass

...if pirates stays on bf1942 i'd hate to see the community grow even smaller, but i know i'll always be around and i hope the rest of you will too!

Special Jimmy wrote:
This mod is rightfully ours, and fuck everyone that stands in our way.

fair winds and following seas, lil shoes 8/3/94-6/23/09
firefox_71
Old Fart
Old Fart

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:50 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

The same kinda crap happened to my old Soyo Dragon. All that shit would turn on, but no start. I bought a new mobo and just hooked all the stuff up to it....never thinking it wouldn't start. The way I got around it was to use Maxblast and re-write the boot sector on that drive. Worked like a champ.

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Xfire Username Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:18 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Yeah my friend advised I rewrite the MBR, but the fucking family can't remember the admin password and the default blank PW trick isn't working.

I don't think I have another CPU that fits the socket though Sad
ChrisT
John Jameson
<font color=#50C5FF><b>John Jameson</b></font>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:23 pm 
Post subject: Re: Family computer got raped anallly
Top Reply with quote

Wang Chung wrote:
So my mom is plugging in some fucking phone, and she slips and hits the switch on the surge protector.

Well uhh there is your problem right there. Ladies don't need 2 be near the surge protector. Unless the surge protector is in the kitchen.
firefox_71
Old Fart
Old Fart

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:34 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Maxblast did it without anything for me....I'll be damned Sad

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Xfire Username Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:48 pm 
Top Reply with quote

Slaughter wrote:

Well uhh there is your problem right there. Ladies don't need 2 be near the surge protector. Unless the surge protector is in the kitchen.

The family machine IS in the kitchen. My stupid brother was complaining that we needed to hook the phone up ASAP (even though he has a cordless in his room?!?!), and while he's upstairs dicking around in his room, she's crawling around plugging the phone in while the computer is still on.

It's partially my fault, too, because I should have just found a good one online. See, our house got struck by lightning, and the phone with the answering machine got toasted, so we had to get a new one. They wanted a cordless and I was trying to help em find a good one, but they wouldn't agree.
Brutus
BuffNerd
BuffNerd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:08 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

If the mobo is fried, is there any chance the CPU and RAM still function?

- yes

I attempted putting the HDD in my old dell (which boots fine), but it won't boot windows from that hard drive. I'm guessing that's because there's a conflict between what the drive thinks the computer is and vice versa, so:

A: Can I alter this somehow? In other words, reset the system config crap on the hard drive, plug it back in, boot, have windows re-fuckerize itself on the Dell and have most of my family's settings remain intact?

- I doubt it is your hard drive if this was due to a power failure.

B: If this won't work, can I reformat the HDD and install XP on the HDD as it's in the Dell, then use files and settings transfer wizard to take the files from the disk IMG and plop them back on to the hard drive? NOTE: eMachines PC was winXP home.

- What about connecting it as a slave HD to yourr other PC and just offloading the files you want. Then FDISK. EXE BABY! J/K i know how much you love that. Wink Like I said, i wouldnt monkey with the HD until you try the other things Supa said - CPU and mobo.

To be honest, I am a little confused about some of the causation and symptoms you posted. Did you reset the surge protector? Did you check the PC's circuit breaker (the one usually on the back)?
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:45 pm 
Top Reply with quote

Wang Chung wrote:
. The HDD is safe though - I have it slave'd up to my PC right now and made an image of it with NORTON GHOST.

What are you talking about Bruteh, I alweddy clawified that it's NOT at all an HDD issue .. and also that I backed everything up? Did you even read my post ? Sad

Yes, we reset the surge protector (i tried it on other outlets as well), and ... what circuit breaker?
Brutus
BuffNerd
BuffNerd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:49 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

You should have a circuit breaker on the outside of your baox (back side) you usually have to set it all the way to off before setting it back to on. It should be a black on/off switch on your PC - on the PS.

I read your post. Didnt seem like you were sure on the HD - just making sure by adding my 2 cents. Very Happy i am SO clear... Wink
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:15 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

OMG GAY... yeah.. there's no switch on the PSU. I didn't know that was really a circuit breaker Very Happy
SupaFly

Location: sunnydale mental institution (for the mentally unstable) ((like me)) (((supa)))
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:14 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

cheap pos psu
!ban
!wang buys a new one
!suparawx
!make sure to check the amerages on the psu... some are rated wrong
!subliminal font rules

Brutus
BuffNerd
BuffNerd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:09 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Sweet sig/avatar btw there Supa! Very Happy
Cap'n Sprite
Crazy Puertorican
Crazy Puertorican

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:23 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Brutus wrote:
Sweet sig/avatar btw there Supa! Very Happy

User-posted image
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Computer Tech Section All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: