Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
Avengers!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> TV, Music and Movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anonymousity
Stealth's Wench
Stealth's Wench

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:05 pm 
Post subject: Avengers!
Top Reply with quote

Went and saw it with wild bill, atatme, etc last night at the midnight show. I was really looking forward to this cause A. It's Joss Whedon who I am obsessed with, and B. I have a huge boner for anything Marvel. I knew Joss would not only not fuck this up, but it had potential to be awesome - and awesome it was!

The movie was pieced together masterfully - even the so-called slow parts were very interesting and hilarious. The action of course was top notch, not one scene seemed botched and they really gave every hero tons of exposure (RDJ got the most of course.) Mark Ruffalo was GREAT as Bruce Banner and the Hulk scenes were easily the best fights. When the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier lifted off for the first time I got all weird and sentimental for a second. Overall the shit was fucking nuts and it blew my mind. Being front row in 3D was kind of rough so this will most definitely be one of my go-to blu-rays in the coming months, right up there with Serenity, Lord of War and Purple Rain.

GO SEE IT COMIC BOOK NERDS
Berry Punch
Pony HATER

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:21 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Huh, funny.. I was just about to go see it in an hour or so.
Stealth
▲RAWR TRIANGLE RAWR▲

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:14 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I wanted to go see the midnight showing badddddd. But I had to get up at 330 am to be at work at 445. Fml.

I'll most likely have to see it Sunday.

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vlad Piranha
Dictator-Elect
Dictator-Elect

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:30 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I don't get the drop on a movie review? I'm not surprised that people were rushing out to see it. The scope of the project is enough to pull people in. It didn't quite reach the level of its hype for me, but it was still satisfying and more or less what I expected. I'd give it a strong B+ or maybe an A-. I'll be seeing it a second time with someone else soon, so I'll have a more objective view of it.

The strongest feature of the film is that it consists mostly of exposition along the core plotline. Thanks to the films that lead up to this point, there's very little time spent on character development. Black Widow and Hawkeye get their due in the back-story department this time around, due to being limited in their involvement in the other films, but the core characters are established and you can get right to the action. There's one thing I've heard from reviews about this film that's absolutely true and that's that each character is given their due to do something worthwhile and have at least one really heroic, crowd-pleasing, defining moment.

Avengers just didn't have that sort of glee to it that I got out of the others. It took itself so damn seriously so much of the time and, as a result, it contrasted with the individual characters' films quite a bit at times. I felt like Whedon was using The Dark Knight as a blueprint. If you'll remember, the film Thor actually had a much more lighthearted mood to it as a whole, whereas Avengers brought Loki from being a misunderstood and self-loathing antagonist to a full blown sociopath in this film. I found some of his behavior a little over-the-top and disturbing. The less directed role of the villain(s) is what I think brought it down a notch for me.

It was a decent flick, though, and worth seeing. The simple fact that this movie ever got made is impressive enough. I can't believe it was done without being botched.
atatme
Atatame Who?

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:53 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Vlad Piranha wrote:
Avengers just didn't have that sort of glee to it that I got out of the others. It took itself so damn seriously so much of the time and, as a result, it contrasted with the individual characters' films quite a bit at times. I felt like Whedon was using The Dark Knight as a blueprint. If you'll remember, the film Thor actually had a much more lighthearted mood to it as a whole, whereas Avengers brought Loki from being a misunderstood and self-loathing antagonist to a full blown sociopath in this film. I found some of his behavior a little over-the-top and disturbing. The less directed role of the villain(s) is what I think brought it down a notch for me.

This is so perfect and I hadn't thought of it like that before, but you are completely right. I was always annoyed by Loki in this movie, he seemed more evil and the original prankster he is supposed to represent. Instead of this being a conscious evil deed, I think they should have done either

*SPOILERS* A: Loki was being manipulated by the huge source of energy the entire time, or B: Loki thought that he could control the aliens to the point that his rule would have actually been BETTER for humanity. I also loved how the agent who dies (forgot his name) serves as a pseudo commander shepard during the pre-attack helo-carrier scenes. He walks around and talks to all the avengers in a way that directly reminded me of mass effect. *SPOILERS END*

I thought the movie was quite fun to watch, however. Good one liners, AMAZING timing on scenes and on the way things connect, and some really hilarious and entertaining action. I suggest people see it, you will be entertained even if you didn't read the comics, if you did you will love it.
RCSI
The YARR Master
The YARR Master

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:49 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Went in completely blind (aside from seeing Iron Man and Avenger trailers) and came out having enjoyed it.

I agree on the fact that the antagonist was rather weak in the points others have brought up. Even the in between (between action scenes) served a greater purpose of creating conflict between characters than the introduction of other antagonists.
anonymousity
Stealth's Wench
Stealth's Wench

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:51 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

That's a really good point though - Loki isn't supposed to be just downright fucking evil, he's just an illusionist, manipulator and an asshole. He's seriously evil in this one to the point of that tortures people and smiles kind of character. I did like when he was trapped on the carrier though and was manipulating everyone, that's something he would do.
tru.pairadocs
Backstabbing Turd-nugget Spymaster

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:54 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Just saw it, EPIC movie

Make sure to stay til the VERY end though. As in til all the credits are done rolling.

There is a scene at the beginning of the credits that foreshadow a sequel, and then another scene at the very very end just for laughs

Also see in in IMAX, well worth the extra $
junkyard
Sailor
Sailor

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:29 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

lolthanos
tru.pairadocs

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:37 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

junkyard wrote:
lolthanos

more like loloki at the end there
Stealth
▲RAWR TRIANGLE RAWR▲

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:22 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

My entire post contains spoilers.

So I saw the Avenger's last night and loved every second of it.

There were two things that did bug me but I thought them through.

Loki was pretty evil as you guys indicated. But I attribute that to his recieving of a new power. With promises of power *and* an army, the power went to his head much like it would anyone. So with that, I find Loki's actions somewhat justified and human.

The second thing that bugged me was how Hawkeye was converted back to the other side. Seriously? A hit on the head? I was expecting something really cool.

Some things that confused me was like why didn't the mind control work on tony stark? Was it hitting his metal plate thus didn't touch him? I'm not sure.

Why was Thor so irrational about his brother Loki that he attacked the plane carrying Loki, Iron man and Capt? Sure, Asengard politics, but going in guns loaded doesn't suit Thor's personality. Mind you, it was a way to show the Avengers fighting each other which is what people want to see and it was badass as all fuck.

Black Widow's interrogation of Loki was weird. Loki said, You guys brought the monster aboard. I would feel that wouldn't reveal any plans.

Despite these questions, I really am nit picking here. This movie was badass and even if I don't know the answers to these, this is easily one of my favorites.

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tru.pairadocs

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:38 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

*Spoiler Question*

My one question from the movie (which probably has a valid reason why as I never saw the Incredible Hulk movie) was how come on the aircraft-carrier plane Hulk couldn't control himself and just went ape-shit crazy, while during the final fight he listened and worked along with the other Avengers?

*Spoiler Question*
atatme
Atatame Who?

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:43 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I am going to answer all of your spoiler questions to the best of my ability, and thus my entire post will contain spoilers. I am rather familiar with all of these characters and their personalities so I think I am able to answer them in some significant manner. My problem with your justification of Loki's corruption is that Loki isn't supposed to be human. He is supposed to be a master schemer and a trickster. He is an Asgardian, essentially a God, and has for sure been around for far longer than the aliens with which he is dealing. They paint him in too human a light in these movies, but I think that is for the benefit of the largely idiotic American audience who needs an obvious bad guy. It was a cinematic technique in my book, nothing more.

I believe the mind control not working on Stark was a lack of direct contact with the spear, its never really explained however. I disagree about Thor's irrationality not fitting his character, it fits his character PERFECTLY. He loves to go head first into anything that dare stand in his way. He made conscious effort not to harm anyone on the plane but he considers his problems to be above them and in all honesty, not worth explaining. No matter how long Thor protects humanity, sticks up for us, and sees good things about people's personality, he always has an innate superiority that he never gets over. Its unconscious, he always consciously preaches equality (and had a rather famous talk with Loki about how Loki is not innately better than humanity, a point they disagree on passionately).

Black Widow's interrogation of Loki was just to display her mastery of speech and reading people. The fact that it didn't give anything away to you is kind of the point, things you think are extremely clever of veiled she sees right through. A very unsafe person to talk around; they hint at that during her introduction scene as well.

Hulk on the helo-carrier didn't want to control himself. He hadn't yet come to trust ANY of these Avengers, and constantly throughout the Avengers history he has major trust issues because everyone in his past has constantly betrayed him. Loki and other tricksters use this innate lack of trust to turn the Avengers against each other pretty often. They are all extremely proud, and they all represent a human trait to such an extent that strife is inevitable. Their ability to overcome that strife and conquer seemingly insurmountable obstacles is their true strength as a group. Their super powers are just an elaborate way of displaying how people overcoming there differences to get shit done is the true power, and that has been a theme since the original Avengers and thankfully is still present in the movies.
atatme
Atatame Who?

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:46 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Sorry for double post. A further thought about the Hulk thing is that they actually left out a rather key scene in Avengers lore. Banner and Hulk for SURE had a gollum/smeagol like talk before returning to the fight. Hulk would have said fuck them all, none of them care about Hulk or Banner, they should leave them to their fate, while Banner would have argued that everyone would die if they didn't participate. In the end, Banner's ability to appeal to Hulk's hidden "good guy" would have convinced Hulk to fight, and then Banner would have traveled to the city.
Vlad Piranha
Dictator-Elect
Dictator-Elect

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:04 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

tru.pairadocs wrote:
*Spoiler Question*

My one question from the movie (which probably has a valid reason why as I never saw the Incredible Hulk movie) was how come on the aircraft-carrier plane Hulk couldn't control himself and just went ape-shit crazy, while during the final fight he listened and worked along with the other Avengers?

*Spoiler Question*

I can actually explain that perfectly as I asked the same question, but did notice little things I assumed meant something. If you'll recall the secret ending after Thor, you'll remember Selvig repeating Loki's words about the Cube. Loki cannot read minds, but he has the ability to plant ideas and stir emotions in people. This could possibly also explain Thor's irrational anger toward the Frost Giant incursion at the start of the movie as well.

You'll notice during the Helicarrier segment that everyone in the team is rubbing their temples due to implied headaches, the notion being that Loki is slowly wearing away at them, making them more aggressive or paranoid with each passing hour a la Reaper Indoctrination. This weakened Banner's control over his Hulk persona more and more the longer Loki was on board.

I would like to take this opportunity to point out the most glaring fault in the movie, in my opinion, which is actually pretty funny. At the end of Thor, the Bifrost is destroyed and it seems the title character is stranded in Asgard looking for a way to get back to Earth. I looked forward to the Avengers since I figured his return would be explained and it might shed light on how Loki was able to come and go before without Heimdall seeing him. Instead, we're told that some sort of 'dark energy' was used and Thor just sort of rides into the movie on a jet: the most literal interpretation of Deus Ex Machina I've ever seen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> TV, Music and Movies All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: