Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
Fuck lab reports
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisT
John Jameson
<font color=#50C5FF><b>John Jameson</b></font>

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:41 pm 
Post subject: Fuck lab reports
Top Reply with quote

Just wanted to share my thoughts on this before I go fucking crazy.

Does anyone on this forum enjoy writing lab reports? I fucking hate them, they are driving me crazy. I would kill a fucking penguin if it meant not writing a lab report. I don't understand the purpose, rational, or sense in forcing students to write the same monotonous summary of lab activity. Why can't I just write a cute little what I learned paragraph? I would rather spend my day being waterboarded than writing these horrible reports.

Thoughts, Comments, Suggestions?
Messy Recipe
El Gran Capitán
<b>El Gran Capitán</b>

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:54 pm 
Post subject: Re: Fuck lab reports
Top Reply with quote

Slaughter wrote:
Suggestions?

Man up and write it, instead of writing forum posts Smile
Erwin Rommel
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:58 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Option 1) Write it.

Option 2) Bail on whatever class whis is for. If your major needs it, get a new major.
Vlad Piranha
Dictator-Elect
Dictator-Elect

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:17 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

How about a little roleplaying? Write up your lab report in the persona of a supervillain scientist conducting evil experiments. Be sure to mention which phase your experiment is in by number and how it's all going 'according to my master plan'. Be sure to actually write your evil laughter in your report. Unnecessary diagrams of death rays in the margin would also be a plus.

It's what I would do.
anonymousity
Stealth's Wench
Stealth's Wench

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:46 pm 
Top Reply with quote

Slaughter wrote:
I would kill a fucking penguin if it meant not writing a lab report.

that's the spirit!
Nugget
Hax0r
Hax0r

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:24 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMrDUOe2uuk&feature=related
User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Xfire Username
Cap'n Sprite
Crazy Puertorican
Crazy Puertorican

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:55 pm 
Top Reply with quote

Slaughter wrote:
Just wanted to share my thoughts on this before I go fucking crazy.

Does anyone on this forum enjoy writing lab reports? I fucking hate them, they are driving me crazy. I would kill a fucking penguin if it meant not writing a lab report. I don't understand the purpose, rational, or sense in forcing students to write the same monotonous summary of lab activity. Why can't I just write a cute little what I learned paragraph? I would rather spend my day being waterboarded than writing these horrible reports.

Thoughts, Comments, Suggestions?

Kill yourself. At least that's what I'm contemplating doing right now thanks to my lab reports.

Fucking pieces of fucking useless shit. It's not like our reports are gonna be published anywhere and 99% of the time the reports fucking suck. Fucking labs.
Atomiktoaster
Sailor
Sailor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:25 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

No, no one enjoys writing lab reports. What really sucks is when whoever grades them makes do it EXACTLY according to the example, and destroys your grade because you put "Figure 1: " instead of "Figure 1. " What lab reports should do is teach you the rare and valuable skill of competent technical writing. Unfortunately, most people completely fail when they try to write technically, including most instructors. So instead of helping you figure out how to say something complex, precise and technical in clear and concise language, they read zero of what you wrote and circle all of the colons with the red pen and call it a day. If you're lucky, they'll might have some helpful comments on your graphs (being able to make a good graph is just about as rare and difficult as technical writing, btw).

Seriously though, learning good technical writing is a hell of a lot more important than calculus for most science and engineering jobs, so it's worth it to be good at it. You'll stand out.

TL;DR
Suck it up cuz technical writing is important (even if the lab isn't) and god help you if the instructor is a clueless report format nazi.
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:23 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Atomiktoaster wrote:
No, no one enjoys writing lab reports. What really sucks is when whoever grades them makes do it EXACTLY according to the example, and destroys your grade because you put "Figure 1: " instead of "Figure 1. " What lab reports should do is teach you the rare and valuable skill of competent technical writing. Unfortunately, most people completely fail when they try to write technically, including most instructors. So instead of helping you figure out how to say something complex, precise and technical in clear and concise language, they read zero of what you wrote and circle all of the colons with the red pen and call it a day. If you're lucky, they'll might have some helpful comments on your graphs (being able to make a good graph is just about as rare and difficult as technical writing, btw).

Seriously though, learning good technical writing is a hell of a lot more important than calculus for most science and engineering jobs, so it's worth it to be good at it. You'll stand out.

TL;DR
Suck it up cuz technical writing is important (even if the lab isn't) and god help you if the instructor is a clueless report format nazi.

Q F to the fucking T my motherfucker.

I consider myself a good writer and an acceptable technical writer. I would really like to improve my technical writing. Unfortunately, no one can teach me - apparently they can only take off points because I didn't use the specific HFES citation guidelines, or my charts had vertical lines in them (not even fucking kidding on this one). Tests for following inane directions belong in elementary school, not a nationally-renowned engineering curriculum.

TBH, this differs little from high school and even the single college English class I took. I always got full points on "style", maybe even a bonus and almost always written remarks from the teach that I had great style. No fucking shit, I am a bad ass with long blond hair and I am a FUCKING CUT THROAT. Of course I have style. But I always lost more points from every red-circled comma that blond bimbo cheerleading coach English teacher thought was unnecessary. I write like I would speak, fuck you. I also mysteriously lost five points on every bibliography I ever wrote in high school.

Of course, nothing is more infuriating than group research projects where you have to work with people who either:

A) Don't understand how to speak English very well
B) Poorly understand the research subject
C) One of the above and have atrocious writing and spelling skills.

The last few weeks my group mates have submitted progress reports to the professor which I did not check beforehand. I was then thrown under the bus at meetings where they didn't show up and the professor read aloud the typos and horrifying grammar (and mysterious mid-page FONT SIZE change FOR FUCKS SAKE JESUS CHRIST) in front of everyone. I'm usually not that embarassed, but I really had to desperately non-verbally convey that I didn't write or even see the said report.

Of course I'm currently up finishing today's report :-/

FUCK
ChrisT
John Jameson
<font color=#50C5FF><b>John Jameson</b></font>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:49 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

<- has never seen a lab report not graded on stupid format and punctuality. I guess that is what happens when you have someone grade who has rudimentary English skills.

2 reports down, 2 due tomorrow. Extra special fun bonus one assigned due Friday.

- FML
Vlad Piranha
Dictator-Elect
Dictator-Elect

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:00 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Lab reports are like the adult version of book reports. The whole point of book reports, which always had a written component, was to demonstrate you had reading and writing skills. I'm sure lab reports are supposed to be a wake-up call for people who have absolutely no composition skills.
Erwin Rommel
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:06 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Hey, writing skill is important for almost every career that could be considered even semi-intellectual. Of course, in my case, no one really bothered to teach me how to write a proper mathematical paper. You pretty much just have to read enough journals.

It awesome when it came time to write my honors thesis as an undergraduate, and the program had us have meetings about style and the like. Rolling Eyes

Slaughter - what class is this for, by the way?
Cap'n Crunch
Illiterate Suicide Boy
<font color=orange><b>Illiterate Suicide Boy</b></font>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:23 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Lab reports blow huge donkey dicks.

-≠∫ĆŤ∫≠-�μ�ąҒ��: lets go snort some cock

User-posted image
User-posted image
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:03 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

My TA just emailed my group stating we didn't hand our lab in LAST monday. I called the guy who brought it in to the lab. The TA wasn't there, so the kid walked to his office and HANDED IT DIRECTLY TO HIM and he lost it haha.
massive
Captain Ass Kicking Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:15 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Is killing a penquin actually a bad thing?

I had a TA chemistry lab assistant at ASU that I swear to this day, didn't speak fucking word 1 of English. He was Mandarin Chinese and not a soul in the lab could understand shit - it was so bad that several people kinda turned into monkey-sign language translators so at least he wouldn't have us blowing shit up. Any question you asked his constant response: "Oh Kway".

My English 105 professor was from Pakistan - I actually got headaches concentrating so hard to listen through his THICK accent...

Thank God things got better past the 100 classes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: