Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
Help :(
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Computer Tech Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raed
Stoned Angry Gamer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:14 pm 
Post subject: Help :(
Top Reply with quote

This problem is really getting on my nerves, so I'm coming to you guys for help.

The story is that I turned off my computer, came back to it later, and turned it on. All the fans spin, but I am getting no video output on my monitor ("No signal, check cable" message) and one long beep followed by three short ones. I have an AMI BIOS, and according to the manual it is a video problem. I have:

1. Reseated the video card. Same problem.
2. Tried a different monitor. Same problem.
3. Swapped out the video card for another (7950GT for an 8800GT). Same problem.
4. Rotated through the RAM sticks. Same problem.

So, since my brother just moved out to college, I thought I would use his computer in the interim. Well... I am getting the exact same problem on the other computer. My brother's computer was working fine when it was last used in June.

Perhaps I haven't troubleshooted enough, but I'm very certain that my motherboard (P5B-E) is shot (it has always been finnicky). However, I have no clue as to why my brother's computer is acting up, since it is newer and hasn't had a single hardware problem till now. I've tried the same steps as above, but I will probably troubleshoot it more.

My specs:

ASUS P5B-E
Core 2 Duo E6300
2x1GB Corsair PC6400
XFX 7950GT
Corsair 550W Modular PSU

Brother's specs:
GIGABYTE DS3-R
Core 2 Duo E6750
2x1 GB Crucial Ballistix PC6400 (2.2V version)
XFX 8800GT
Corsair 520W PSU

Any ideas?
Brutus
BuffNerd
BuffNerd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:20 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I dont think the PC would give you beep codes if it was the monitor. Replacing the video card takes that off the table too. So yea, sounds like the mobo - at least based on 2 pieces of evidence.

If you want to test it one final time before ordering new mobo, try video card, video cable and new monitor on your bro's PC. If all that works its definitely your mobo.

Could also be the power supply or PS cable. But cable going bad is almost impossible. if you have fans at least one of the lines is working. Multimeter on main power line would be a quick test. If youwant to be REALLY sure test other PC with that PS too. Razz But doubtful its your PS. but it happens...

Good luck.
Raed
Stoned Angry Gamer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:08 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Thanks for the help Brutus.

As an update, I got a startup screen to appear for my brother's PC (the screen that shows the logo of the motherboard), but there is no POST afterward (just a blank screen). When I saw this, I turned off the computer and plugged in a keyboard, and it went back to the original situation (no signal). Very strange...

As for my PC, no update there, same problem.

I think I will probably replace the ASUS P5B-E (my computer's mobo) and continue to troubleshoot my brother's computer (since there appears to be some hope there.)
Raed
Stoned Angry Gamer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:46 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

BIG UPDATE

I went to my friend's house and tried both sets of RAM (2x sticks Crucial, 2x sticks Corsair) and both video cards (8800GT and 7950GT) on his computer, and ALL the parts worked to POST.

This means that I can narrow it down to PSU, motherboard or CPU. I don't think it's a PSU problem due to all the fans spinning, so I'm leaning towards either mobo or CPU. For my computer, it's definitely the mobo (I'm certain that it was defective out of the box). As for my brother's computer, it could be either the motherboard or CPU, though I don't see any reason why the CPU would fail (heatsink seems secure, no dust).
Brutus
BuffNerd
BuffNerd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:44 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

If it was the CPU I think you would still get the BIOS stuff at startup, not just black and fail code beeps...

I have never had any luck with pulling an installed CPU and not breaking it. :/ 3 times fail. Not sure why. But if you replace the mobo you might need to replace the CPU too. Unless you have better luck/technique than I do pulling them.
Atomiktoaster
Sailor
Sailor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:48 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I've had a bad CPU cause intermittent power LED flashing and fan spinning before, with no POST or BIOS. Replaced it under warranty and everything was fine. Swap the cpus between the two motherboards, since they're both LGA 775. That should tell you a lot. Moving heatsinks is the biggest pain with that though. You need to use thermal paste each time.

Also, check the voltages on each PSU. I've had a corsair go bad and give me 7-9V on the 12V rail, which spins the fan but doesn't work well with the rest of the parts.
Raed
Stoned Angry Gamer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:35 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I will try to get my hands on thermal paste and swap the CPUs. If that doesn't tell me anything, then I could possibly get a meter and measure the voltage on the PSU rails.

Thanks for the help so far.
Raed
Stoned Angry Gamer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:50 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

If I do get a voltmeter, do you think this multimeter and this guide are adequate?
Brutus
BuffNerd
BuffNerd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:29 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

The volt meter is really inexpensive but it looks like it got really good reviews so yes, it looks good and its inexpensive. Smile Guide looks really well done too with the pictures and all, but I didn't study it. Cant beat the price on that either though. Wink

Yea my mistake, you need CPU to get BIOS too - so it doesnt automatically mean no BIOS = bad mobo.

Good luck with the CPU swap. hopefully it wasn't installed a long time ago. I can never get mine out without something coming undone - in a bad way.
Raed
Stoned Angry Gamer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:47 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I will try to be extra careful and read the manual beforehand. Thanks for the cautious mindset, though.
Atomiktoaster
Sailor
Sailor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:26 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

My home multimeter is a craftsman sort of like this one:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_03482141000P?sid=I0084400010000100383&aff=Y&origin=prod

The cheap auto-ranging digital ones are all about the same. You don't really need a nice fluke model or anything for stuff around the house. As far as the guide goes, you should be fine just checking the voltages on the molex connector. If the PSU is causing your issue, you shouldn't have to worry about loading it down with prime 95 or any of that.

Brutus, what kind of cpus do you keep killing? I haven't had a problem yet with LGA 775 or LGA 1366, and I've replaced heatsinks and moved cpus around quite a few times.
Brutus
BuffNerd
BuffNerd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:44 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Kill old CPUs. Dont remember what they were. PIII smell was last i think. The metal even comes off after the paste become more than just heat paste. never tried removing ones that werent at least 4 years old... I think twice the removal broke the mobo as well. :/

I have a Craftsman too, Craftsman Professional (xms gift from folks way back). Used to use Fluke multimeters in the Navy but wont pay that much for one for personal use. Hardly use it any more. Shame.
Raed
Stoned Angry Gamer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:26 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I will probably just test the 12V and 5V connections on the molex plug. As for the age of the CPU installations, my computer was built three years ago (stock heatsink-fan) and my brother's about 1.5 years ago (Arctic Cooler Freezer 7). Both used Arctic Silver 5 as thermal paste.
massive
Captain Ass Kicking Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:30 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Those Beeps tell you exactly where the problem is - or if there are multiple problems, it tells you where the self test first ran into a problem - in either case you start there.

Your ASUS Bios Beep Code: 1 long and 3 short indicates a memory problem. (can be different, depends on your BIOS manufacturer)

1. replace the memory until you have no more or a different beep (you tested the memory, so it's not this).
2. if still same beep, replace power supply with your brothers
3. if same, your motherboard is probably fried.

Just because the fans are running doesn't mean the PSU is supplying the correct steady voltages the motherboard needs.

Just a thought, they both have similar problem, by chance could you have been hit with a surge - say a storm or construction nearby? We have thunderstorms here and invariably we'll have clients with PCs down the next day. Usually power supplies, but also NICs, motherboards, monitors, etc. can also be damaged by surges.
Raed
Stoned Angry Gamer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:46 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

We haven't had any storms or surges over the summer. In any case, the multimeter and thermal paste have been shipped and should arrive within the week.

Thanks for the advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Computer Tech Section All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: