Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
Confederations Cup
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erwin Rommel
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:51 pm 
Post subject: Confederations Cup
Top Reply with quote

Is anyone else following the FIFA confederations cup?

It's basically an 8 team tournament that serves as a prelude to 2010 World Cup featuring the champions of the various soccer confederations around the world.

To make a long story short, through a combination of skill, heart, and luck the USA just defeated Spain (Currently ranked number 1 in the world (!!!)) 2-0, putting the USA into the final match, most likely against Brazil.

I believe this is unprecedented for a US side. Too bad I'll be laid over in the Dallas Fort Worth airport when the final is played.
Scabdates
Deckswab
Deckswab

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:23 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

If America wins this shit, I will go ballistic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Xfire Username Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Raed
Stoned Angry Gamer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:44 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Hah, I was rooting for Egypt at first (I'm Egyptian) but they got wrecked by the U.S. 3-0, so now I'm rooting for the U.S. Razz
Scabdates
Deckswab
Deckswab

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:56 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

USA! USA! USA!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Xfire Username Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Erwin Rommel
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:12 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

bewmius wrote:
Hah, I was rooting for Egypt at first (I'm Egyptian) but they got wrecked by the U.S. 3-0, so now I'm rooting for the U.S. Razz

haha yeah, it was hilarious reading the comments from the Egypt supporters on the FIFA site. During the Egypt - U.S. game, my reactions were something like this:

Shocked Rolling Eyes Laughing
Raed
Stoned Angry Gamer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:34 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Erwin Rommel wrote:

haha yeah, it was hilarious reading the comments from the Egypt supporters on the FIFA site. During the Egypt - U.S. game, my reactions were something like this:

Shocked Rolling Eyes Laughing

LOL, Egyptians were feeling pretty proud after beating Italy. Some good Egyptian players were missing due to injuries, yet I still I think that Egypt played awful compared to earlier matches.

Though the first goal against us was absolutely ridiculous. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKBArpsIaIw
Erwin Rommel
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:46 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

LOL, I don't need the video. I remember going: "well it's not pretty but I'll take it."

With Egypt - I think they really played themselves all out against both Italy and Brazil (Remember, they almost held Brazil to 3-3), and had nothing left for the US.

The US, on the other hand, really did nothing against Brazil and Italy (3-0, and 3-1 respectively ... ew) so they let it out on Egypt. xD

So basically Egypt played great against 2 top level teams and crap against a lower level team and is eliminated. US plays great against a lower level and crap against 2 top level teams and advances. Gotta love group states in Football.
Cap'n Sprite
Crazy Puertorican
Crazy Puertorican

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:17 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

For the "health" of the U.S.A, I hope they don't meet Spain in the WC 2010 cause they are going to anhilate them.

Spain got confident and payed for it, simple as. I mean, Sergio Ramo's mistake was just that of someone being too confident.

Anywhoo, hopefully Brasil will win the Confed this Sunday.
Erwin Rommel
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:53 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Cap'n Sprite wrote:
For the "health" of the U.S.A, I hope they don't meet Spain in the WC 2010 cause they are going to anhilate them.

I don't know. Spain seems to like choking in world cups. Of course the US does too, so I guess it evens out.

Quote:

Let's put it this way. Brazil won't do the same thing Spain did. If USA wins (lol, right?), they'll have to deserve it, and not just with solid defending.

Ramos's mistake was really ugly. As I watched it today, I realized that a Brazilian defender just wouldn't do that. My favorite quote was from a German commentary of the game

"Was macht Ramos? Nichts macht Ramos!"
massive
Captain Ass Kicking Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:44 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Cap'n Sprite wrote:

Traitor, turn in your voter registration card
Cap'n Sprite
Crazy Puertorican
Crazy Puertorican

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:29 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Erwin Rommel wrote:
I don't know. Spain seems to like choking in world cups. Of course the US does too, so I guess it evens out.

Yeah, Spain have always been notorious big game chokers. They've always had tremendous teams but when crunch time arrived they choked. It seemed like they put that behind them after winning the Euro 08' but bad habits always crawl out of the closet.

Erwin Rommel wrote:
Let's put it this way. Brazil won't do the same thing Spain did. If USA wins (lol, right?), they'll have to deserve it, and not just with solid defending.

I wouldn't bet on that too much. Although the obvious favorites are Brasil, they still don't have that perfect team that can batter teams 5-0. Hell, just look at the game today against South Africa. Dany Alves saved their ass with that beauty of a free kick in the 87th minute.

Erwin Rommel wrote:
Ramos's mistake was really ugly. As I watched it today, I realized that a Brazilian defender just wouldn't do that. My favorite quote was from a German commentary of the game

"Was macht Ramos? Nichts macht Ramos!"

Well, Brasil's right backs (Maicon and Dani) are better than Sergio but that means shit to be honest because sometimes the greatest players fuck it up at a give time.

To be honest I think Brasil will look at the Spain/USA game and be saying to themselves: "There's no way that's gonna happen to us".

massive wrote:
Cap'n Sprite wrote:

Razz

Come on man, nobody in the states would give a shit if the U.S.A won the Confed Cup. It would probably get like 7 minutes max of coverage in ESPN and then it would be quickly overshadowed by 40 minutes of freaking Baseball highlights and 13 about Blake Griffin being the #1 pick in the NBA draft.
massive
Captain Ass Kicking Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:01 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Cap'n Sprite wrote:
massive wrote:
Cap'n Sprite wrote:

Razz

Come on man, nobody in the states would give a shit if the U.S.A won the Confed Cup. It would probably get like 7 minutes max of coverage in ESPN and then it would be quickly overshadowed by 40 minutes of freaking Baseball highlights and 13 about Blake Griffin being the #1 pick in the NBA draft.

ahaha exactly - but you know I can't turn down an opportunity to slap you!
Erwin Rommel
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:26 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Cap'n Sprite wrote:
Erwin Rommel wrote:

I wouldn't bet on that too much. Although the obvious favorites are Brasil, they still don't have that perfect team that can batter teams 5-0. Hell, just look at the game today against South Africa. Dany Alves saved their ass with that beauty of a free kick in the 87th minute.

If anything, the game against SA will make them take the US more seriously. If they had blown SA out 5-0, then I'd expect them to be more cocky about it.
Vlad Piranha
Dictator-Elect
Dictator-Elect

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:04 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I've had an itch to start watching soccer lately. When I found out that the USA team won a good game, it caught my attention. Even I know that team USA is the lovable loser every time out. If our guys make a good showing at the World Cup, I'll probably get hooked on the sport. I'd like to see Iraq's team do really well again. I love underdogs.
Hirmuinen
CT Certified Sales Rep.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:54 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Vlad Piranha wrote:
I've had an itch to start watching soccer lately. When I found out that the USA team won a good game, it caught my attention. Even I know that team USA is the lovable loser every time out. If our guys make a good showing at the World Cup, I'll probably get hooked on the sport. I'd like to see Iraq's team do really well again. I love underdogs.

Stop calling it soccer!!!!!! After that buy some beer and enjoy the show. It's Brazil vs USA today.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: