Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
Pwned YET AGAIN - Motherboard.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Computer Tech Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:10 pm 
Post subject: Pwned YET AGAIN - Motherboard.
Top Reply with quote

Frustrating times indeed. Turns out the card and mobo were both bad I guess. So now I need a new motherboard. I'm contemplating just buying the same POS I have now (ABIT GD8 Pro, socket 775, DDR2) again, but I'm not sure.

The other problem I have is, one of the CPU cooler's clips is half-broken. When I put it in, it seemed sturdy anyway, so I'm sure it's not too big of a deal because the computer isn't going to be in the circus anytime soon.

I found an oddball site that sells this mobo for $80. I think this isn't a bad deal since I bought it for at least $120 a few years ago. I'll have to find out how much shipping costs and all that crap and order it tomorrow.

I'm contemplating just respeccing, but the problem is, I'm just wasting RAM and processor and whatnot if that isn't the problem. I might have to reinstall windows - who knows. Plus it's really expensive. Fuck my life haha.

Anyone have any tips so I can find out for SURE it IS the mobo (and not the sticks of RAM / seated processor suddenly dying?) so I don't waste any more money?
Reegad
Sailor
Sailor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:25 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

What exactly happens when you try turning it on? or get to the loading of windows or whatever Razz

To test the RAM you could:
Try removing the RAM (if you have more than 1 chip, remove the first. Try turning it on, if that doesn't work, turn off, try removing the next one. and so on.

Hmm.. for CPU troubleshooting I'm not very experienced.. But if you have taken it out and put it back in, make sure you put it in the right way and didn't bend any of the pins.

Oh and, were you sure it was the graphics card that was f-ed up? Did you try putting another one in? or putting your card in to another machine?

-=|CT|R|=-Erdős Pál: hello brother
-=|CT|=- Reegad: hello sister
-=|CT|=- Reegad: xD
massive
Captain Ass Kicking Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:11 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

the clips are very important! The cooler has to be so tight a gnat couldn't spooge between the CPU and the bottom of heat sink. I've seen clips be the entire problem. I would either order the MB - or a cheap try would be to order a replacement clip:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6528/bra-17/Socket_775_CPU_Retention_Clips_-_4-pack.html

If you do have to get a mb - get the same one, no Windows fucking around then if it;s the same chipset.
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:23 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Oh shit, I didn't know they sold those retention clips separately. Not sure how you can even get em off. Yeah, it's still on there pretty good. The clip isn't totally smashed, just one-half of the little clear plastic insert is snapped off. It's on there securely.

That would be amazing if that was the problem though. I really can't imagine that the CPU would be INSTANTLY hot enough the point where it doesn't work.

I'd love to get the same mobo, but good luck finding an Abit GD8 PRO from a reputable site that's in stock. I couldn't find shit. If you see any, let me know Smile

I think I might grab this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131322R
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:04 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Also, I can get a 1-yr warranty for $25, and a 2-yr for $40. Anyone have any advice/thoughts on this? I'd prefer a 4-year warranty, I'd pay like $60 for that....
Brutus
BuffNerd
BuffNerd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:29 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

it wont overheat immediately. often they will even say if they are shutting down due to heat. But the surface mating is critical.

$60 warranty on a $100 card seems crazy. Razz Maybe I read it wrong...
massive

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:12 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Ya, if its an immediate problem then maybe not caused by the clip. But you still need the clip replaced. Te remove, you will have to pull the top (usually white part that turns) all the way out - then squeeze the bottom of the holder and pull that out (bottom of teh motherboard- ya take it out already). Then insert new one by pushing in - put mb on hard flat surface - and make sure its as far thru the mb as the other clips.

But wait - did it work with a POS video card? If so the new vid card may be drawing more power and it may just be a power supply issue. Quick test: unplug your hard drive(s) and see if it boots.

The whole thing about getting the same motherboard for me is to get the same chipset - the one you have has an Intel 915P chipset. I'd look for a board with that. It'd be plug and play mostly. (The one you are looking at from Newegg has an Intel G43 chipset)
massive

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:14 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Brutus wrote:
it wont overheat immediately. often they will even say if they are shutting down due to heat. But the surface mating is critical.

$60 warranty on a $100 card seems crazy. Razz Maybe I read it wrong...

I think he meant for the video card( ~$180) warranty.

Maybe the 1 year, but not beyond that. You'll be in a new rig in 2-3 years, trust me.
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:09 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I went ahead and tested both vid cards elsewhere - they worked fine. When i tested my PC, I didn't get a POS card, but I did everything sans HD / unnecessary shit and still no dice.

I'll go ahead and get new clips while I'm at it, and look for a 915P chipset mobo.

Haha, I think I'll get this POS and get a two-year warranty on it for $15. This is the only thing I could find with 915P/ICH6.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186048

EDIT: That board supports DDR and not DDR2, doh. Note to self: don't shop for parts when you just woke up. Haha, but the bad news is, Newegg has no more 915P stuff online .. hmmmm
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:25 pm 
Post subject: Alright alright alright, found this:
Top Reply with quote

http://www.ascendtech.us/itemdesc.asp?ic=MB4ASUSP5GD2VM

Gonna do a review of that site. I don't mind buying old boards, I just don't really know any reputable oddball sites.
massive

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:02 pm 
Post subject: Re: Alright alright alright, found this:
Top Reply with quote

Wang Chung wrote:
http://www.ascendtech.us/itemdesc.asp?ic=MB4ASUSP5GD2VM

Gonna do a review of that site. I don't mind buying old boards, I just don't really know any reputable oddball sites.

I got some older stuff thru them, the parts showed up and worked. Good enough for me and not bad price.
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:10 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Then I'll get it Very Happy
Max Periculosus
Deckswab
Deckswab

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:48 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Good luck. Massive and the others gave good advice. Hopefully the new mobo works out alright for you.

Hope your luck with PC hardware gets better, too, haha.
There is no reality. There is only this. This time. This place. This Contest. Be the best. Unleash your power. Lead your team in a battle of the mind. Win the Tournament. If you can't, step aside for someone who will.

Keep your eyes on the prize, and your finger on the trigger.

If you're reading this, you're already dead.
RK-Mara
Uber Dick Wad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:55 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Do you have some weird sabotaging elves living in a hole at your place?
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:14 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Yeah - I mean, I'm pretty competent with this stuff. A bit out of the loop with what's hip and what isn't, but I know good shit from bad shit. I'm not a big believer in "luck" but when both your parents computers die, and yours does too, it's just a bad break.

Just a reminder why I can't do this shit for a living. As a big hobby / side job it's really nice though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Computer Tech Section All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: