Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
Kill me now
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Aladdin's Castle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCSI
The YARR Master
The YARR Master

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:25 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Some German magazine reports that the game is third person only with no first person option.
Vlad Piranha
Dictator-Elect
Dictator-Elect

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:08 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I think it's funny. This is usually what a console port of a good PC game ends up like.
Bunny
Chips' Wench

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:07 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Stealth told me about this the other day. Sounds like it wouldn't work out too well to me. Laughing
CountChocula
Warning- may cause CountChoculitis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:17 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Well, I got a copy of Games For Windows today with a big ol' story about this, and I'll try to summarize:

*Third-Person only
    *WW2 setting
    *Estimated system reqs: 1GHz CPU, 512 RAM, 64 MB video card
    *No ads ingame, only on the login page and official forums
    *Arcadey - lots of bullets to kill, shorter spawn times
    *Unlockable abilities like perks in CoD4 - incendiary bullets, "xray" vision
    *Only deathmatch at first
    *Can't go prone, so no dolphin diving
    *3 classes - Commando (assassin) Soldier (balanced) Gunner (heavy)
    *Obtain points through kills, can spend points on new weapons and abilities and can also exchange real money for points

All in all, it actually looks like it could be a lot of fun.
[20:43] -≠∫ĆŤ∫≠- ŜρξčļαГ јỈмMﻻ: we'll aim for bender
[20:43] -≠∫ĆŤ∫≠- ŜρξčļαГ јỈмMﻻ: but use a lot of napalm
AlMightyBob
Dictator-Elect
Dictator-Elect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:13 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Doesn't sound too bad. Don't like the 3rd person only idea though.
Vlad Piranha
Dictator-Elect
Dictator-Elect

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:00 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

The only 3rd person shooter I've ever played that worked well for me was Max Payne. Let's hope they stick to a similar setup.
Atomiktoaster
Sailor
Sailor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:43 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/02/29/see-the-battlefield-heroes-debut-trailer/

Completely changed my opinion. I have to at least try it now.
Brutus
BuffNerd
BuffNerd

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:54 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Yeah it looks worth a try.
AlMightyBob
Dictator-Elect
Dictator-Elect

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:56 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I lol'd.
Roscoe
Sailor
Sailor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:03 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Max Payne was amazing in more than just it's 3rd Person play. Anyway, I think it is atleast interesting to try. Maybe more classes but then again it could be good having it sound pretty simple just "arcadey" FPS.
CountChocula
Warning- may cause CountChoculitis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:17 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

So, upon checking one of my old e-mail accounts, I discovered I'm actually in the beta for this.

It's... odd. You create a "hero" on the site itself (and launch the game through it too), and pick a side and one of the 3 classes when you create the character. Too many vehicles, not enough gunners? TOO FUCKING BAD YOU'RE STAYING AS A SNIPER. The launch process (log in with your "security account", click Play Now, log in with your EA account, game launches) is incredibly tedious, but I assume it's just because it's a beta.

The game itself is pretty much how I described it in my last post, with a few clarifications: the abilities are less like perks than they are "spells", hit a button, shoot fire bullets, etc. Each class starts out with 2 weapons, TNT, and 1 unlocked ability. You can gain "Valor Points" (or was it Victory...?) through winning matches, which you can spend on temporary (3 days seems the norm) weapons, or you can buy "Battle Points" with real money and buy the same weapons that last 7 days. Abilities are unlocked with a different kind of point which you can on leveling up. You gain XP from capping flags, injuring and killing, and through completing simple Missions.

All that aside, it's actually fun. The class I've been having the most fun with is the Commando (sniper). You get a knife, a sniper rifle, and the Stealth ability, which, at level 1, keeps you invisible until you get within 15m of the enemy, or fire a weapon/swing the knife. It's pretty awesome to run at a guy that's just walking around, getting within range, and him randomly unloading while you stab him in the face. Knives aren't 1 hit kills, but headshots are, which is nice since jerks take a billion bullets before dyin'.

Haven't messed much with vehicles, but from what I can tell, they handle just like the non-cartoony, BF42 versions of themselves.

And, hell, it's free, so once it releases, it could prove a fun distraction.
[20:43] -≠∫ĆŤ∫≠- ŜρξčļαГ јỈмMﻻ: we'll aim for bender
[20:43] -≠∫ĆŤ∫≠- ŜρξčļαГ јỈмMﻻ: but use a lot of napalm
Stealth
▲RAWR TRIANGLE RAWR▲

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:41 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I just got into the beta last night. And wow.

This game is awesome. I thought I'd be pissed at buying guns and stuff, but they did a really nice job balancing it. The guns don't really give too much of an advantage, they just let you choose your playing style.

I like to fight people in medium range, so I have a close-medium ranged shotgun and a long range burst shot gun.

Then everyone gets the medic pack, but they made it have a "cooldown" and that takes about 5-7seconds before you can use it again. It's like an instant heal that will heal you at first for 20% of your health. If you're around other teammates and you heal them too (it's an aoe effect) then the healing increases by like 5% per teammate that's around you.

There's only two things I don't like about the game. One is you can't choose your class in the server, nor turn in your missions which give you Valor points.

The second is the plane. You must use your mouse to fly that fucker. Even with my sensitivity up, it's hard to fly.

I haven't determined it yet... but I think I actually enjoyed playing this more than I did BF42.

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Aladdin's Castle All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: