Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
Ahoy! NYPD arrests man floating in Home-Made Turtle Sub!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Recruit this guy into CT?
Aye
95%
 95%  [ 19 ]
Nay
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 20

Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:14 pm 
Post subject: Ahoy! NYPD arrests man floating in Home-Made Turtle Sub!!!
Top Reply with quote

User-posted image

Quote:
August 4, 2007
An Artist and His Sub Surrender in Brooklyn
By RANDY KENNEDY

At slack tide off Red Hook, Brooklyn, there are usually lots of things floating in the water, most of which you would not want to touch without the help of a good hazmat suit. But just after sunrise yesterday, something truly strange was bobbing there in the shallows near Pier 41: a submarine fashioned almost completely from wood, and inside it a man with an obsession.

The man, Duke Riley, a heavily tattooed Brooklyn artist whose waterborne performance projects around New York have frequently landed him in trouble with the authorities, spent the last five months building the vessel as a rough replica of what is believed to have been Americas first submarine, an oak sphere called the Turtle, said to have seen action in New York Harbor during the Revolutionary War.

Mr. Rileys plan was also military, in a sense though mostly metaphorical, given that he is an artist. He wanted to float north in the Buttermilk Channel to stage an incursion against the Queen Mary 2, which had just docked in Red Hook, the mission objective mostly just to get close enough to the ship to videotape himself against its immensity for a coming gallery show.

But when his sub was stopped by a New York City police boat around 10 a.m., the outcome was not metaphorical at all: Mr. Riley, 35, and two friends who had helped tow him were taken into custody by a phalanx of law enforcement officials, and their excursion briefly raised fears that a terrorist attack might have been under way.

The flurry of attention that followed, on television and untold numbers of urban blogs, was the kind of publicity that most artists would pay good money for.

Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly issued a statement later calling the incident marine mischief the creative craft of three adventuresome individuals and saying nothing suspicious had been recovered other than the vessel itself. He played down the possibility that the cruise ship could have been endangered had the intent been more malicious than artful, suggesting that the sub had been detected in plenty of time.

Mr. Kelly said a New York police detective assigned to the departments intelligence division who was aboard the Queen Mary 2 yesterday morning first spotted what looked like a hobby-shop submarine towed by a flimsy rubber raft manned by Mr. Rileys two friends. He called the departments harbor patrol, which dispatched three boats to the scene along with a helicopter, joined later by the Coast Guard and a hazardous-materials truck.

Still, Mr. Riley, who emerged from his rusty hatch without the tall-boy can of beer he had taken into his vessel when it launched about 9:15, managed to make it to within about 200 feet of the bow of the ship, at a time when officials say harbor security is a critical factor in guarding against terrorism. From a nearby pier, several of his friends and his art dealers shouted congratulations through a chain-link fence.

But the police impounded the sub, and the Coast Guard issued Mr. Riley a citation for violating the ships 100-yard security zone. The police issued two more, for unsafe boating. (Mr. Riley had no means of propulsion and was relying mainly on the kindness of the tide to take him toward his objective.)

In an interview at Pier 41 on Thursday afternoon, after Mr. Riley called a reporter to alert him to the planned excursion, the artist said he first became interested in building the submarine after reading about the Turtle in history books. (By some accounts, the original submarines attempt to attach an explosive to the bottom of a British warship failed, but the device detonated near the ship and caused the British to move their vessels. Other accounts say the sub never even launched.)

Mr. Riley built his eight-foot-tall submersible not from oak but from cheap plywood, coated with fiberglass and topped off with portholes and a hatch bought from a marine salvage company. Pumps in the bottom allowed him to add water for ballast or remove it.

On Thursday evening, he and the two friends, Jesse Bushnell and Mike Cushing, scrambled around in the murky Red Hook water avoiding the occasional condom or dead rat to make sure that the sub, called the Acorn, was seaworthy and would submerge. (It never did so completely.) They had loaded several thousand pounds of lead into the bottom and were adding rocks to further lower the moss-coated vessel, which resembled something out of Jules Verne by way of Huck Finn, manned by cast members from Jackass.

We start arguing with each other and saying, Hey, youre doing that wrong, said Mr. Bushnell, who owns a bicycle shop in Providence, R.I. And then we realize there is no right way to do this. He added grumpily, Ive basically been wading around in this water for three days in my underwear.

Mr. Rileys last big artwork was an illegal makeshift tavern built last summer on a spit of land near Rockaway Inlet in Queens that in the early 1900s was a kind of Wild West territory, with saloons and prizefights. That project was also brought to a premature end by the police, who arrived at night with guard dogs and scattered most of Mr. Rileys friends. With the submarine, which he launched on a short-lived test run to the Queen Mary 2 in July, Mr. Riley said he accepted early on that the real performance would probably end with an arrest. Or with him sinking.

Im not really a very technical kind of guy, he said, sitting shirtless on the pier Thursday with various green things still clinging to his arms from the water. I just guessed a lot on this. Asked how he planned to get back to shore after the tide carried him out to the cruise ship, he grinned. I havent really thought about that yet, he said.

Yesterday afternoon, as he, Mr. Bushnell and Mr. Cushing were being taken into custody, still dripping wet, Mr. Rileys dealers, Alberto Magnan and Dara Metz, said they planned to display the submarine in a show soon at their Chelsea gallery. And to post Mr. Rileys bail, if needed.

As they spoke, a beefy police officer standing on the bow of a harbor patrol boat laughed and, pointing at the wooden submarine below him, said: What are we going to do with this thing? It looks like the Turtle!

Al Baker contributed reporting.

What a pwner. We should recruit him into CT.
Bender
The First Bi-Sexual (mostly gay) Robot

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:46 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

arrrrrrrrrrrrr

the cops are lucky he didn't blow everyone up

2:50 AM - -=|CT|=- Dr. Crunk: whenever a girl is like "oh what are you thinking about"
2:50 AM - -=|CT|=- Dr. Crunk: i say nothing cause saying dudes wouldn't go over well

3:34 PM - El.Tawxic: I wish I was a horse
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Xfire Username MSN Messenger
Cap'n Sprite
Crazy Puertorican
Crazy Puertorican

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:26 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

What a man!
Brutus
BuffNerd
BuffNerd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:48 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Haha! God bless turtles, and the insane folk that drive (and build) them. Razz
Stealth
▲RAWR TRIANGLE RAWR▲

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:07 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I could have sworn someone already posted this already, like on the 3rd or something xD

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
reject-d
Sailor
Sailor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:55 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

what a trooper.. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Xfire Username MSN Messenger
Bunny
Chips' Wench

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:46 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Stealth wrote:
I could have sworn someone already posted this already, like on the 3rd or something xD

It was posted twice on the BFP2 forums Razz
Messy Recipe
El Gran Capitán
<b>El Gran Capitán</b>

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:57 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Bunny wrote:
Stealth wrote:

It was posted twice on the BFP2 forums Razz

Those forums don't count.
Drunken Monkey
Hooked.On.Phonics

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:30 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

there is a BF2 forum???????

if You Ain't Tracks, You Ain't Shit
CountChocula
Warning- may cause CountChoculitis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:47 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Drunken Monkey wrote:

BFP2, yes, but they don't count.
[20:43] -≠∫ĆŤ∫≠- ŜρξčļαГ јỈмMﻻ: we'll aim for bender
[20:43] -≠∫ĆŤ∫≠- ŜρξčļαГ јỈмMﻻ: but use a lot of napalm
Drunken Monkey
Hooked.On.Phonics

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:24 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

CountChocula wrote:
Drunken Monkey wrote:

BFP2, yes, but they don't count.

ah good. so i have not, and will continue not to miss anything then

if You Ain't Tracks, You Ain't Shit
DELETED

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:45 pm 
Post subject: Useful Product Guide
Top Reply with quote

DELETED
DELETED

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:14 pm 
Post subject: Best Product Blog
Top Reply with quote

DELETED
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> BFPirates All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: