Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
Macbooks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Computer Tech Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C y a n o s i s
Sailor
Sailor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:32 pm 
Post subject: Macbooks
Top Reply with quote

Are macbooks like laptops? Or is the macbook more like a palm pilote sort of thing? Because in the future I'm going to want to buy a laptop and I need to see my options..

Retired CT Member
Stealth
▲RAWR TRIANGLE RAWR▲

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:38 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Yes. A Macbook is a laptop.

http://www.apple.com/hardware/

The new Macbooks have an Intel chip. So if you ever wanted to run Windows on it, you can do it easily.

I have a Powerbook G3 and it's prudy handy. It'll definitely pay off when I head off to college. I need to recheck the specs on it though. It's been a while since I've had to look at them.

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
C y a n o s i s
Sailor
Sailor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:43 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Alright since I am turning 14 and getting a job soon I'll need a pretty good laptop (I'm thinking mac) and I need the laptop to be worth the price. I'm looking at the 13 inch ones so give me your feedback and info about it.

Retired CT Member

Last edited by C y a n o s i s on Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
C y a n o s i s
Sailor
Sailor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:45 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Also can someone give me the lowdown on what all this means:
http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html

Like what:
2MB on-chip shared L2 cache

means?

Like a summarization

Retired CT Member
C y a n o s i s
Sailor
Sailor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:52 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

And if you find any other laptops that are like better for the price, please post them and also I don't really play CS and battlefield often so I won't need a really high graphics card..

Retired CT Member
Stealth
▲RAWR TRIANGLE RAWR▲

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:00 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Most of that you really won't need to know.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?family=MacBook

Those are their 13inch MacBooks. Whichever one you feel most comfortable with, as I'm sure you know how to read the specs. If ya need futher help on reading those standard specs, we can help.

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
C y a n o s i s
Sailor
Sailor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:03 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I forget what this means:

1.83GHz Intel Core Duo1

And I know that this is the hard drive, but why is there a 2? 60GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive2

Also whats the difference between the memory and the hard drive

EDIT:

Hard Drive
A Serial ATA hard drive gives you more space for data and applications. Choose 80GB, 100GB, or 120GB drive capacities.

Memory
More memory (RAM) increases overall performance and enables your computer to run more applications at the same time. The MacBook supports up to 2GB of RAM.

scratch last part Razz

Retired CT Member
Stealth
▲RAWR TRIANGLE RAWR▲

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:08 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

The 1.83 Intel Core Duo1 is it's processor.

The 2 is a subscript to another part of the area.

Say like when they put " YOU WIN A CAR!!!* " There will be some * on the page that tells you a note as in "Details will apply."

In this case the 2 represents which type of drive you want. You have a choice between two.

Quote:
Storage

* 60GB or 80GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard disk drive; optional 80GB, 100GB or 120GB drive2
* One of the following optical drives:
o Slot-loading Combo drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW): reads DVDs at up to 8x speed, writes CD-R discs at up to 24x speed, writes CD-RW discs at up to 16x speed, reads CDs at up to 24x speed
o Slot-loading SuperDrive with double-layer read support (DVD+R DL/DVDRW/CD-RW): writes DVD-R and DVD+R discs at up to 4x speed, writes DVD-RW and DVD+RW discs at up to 4x speed, reads DVDs at up to 8x speed, writes CD-R discs at up to 24x speed, writes CD-RW discs at up to 10x speed, reads CDs at up to 24x speed

Memory is how fast programs are processed. The Hard Drive holds the programs installed on your computer.

User-posted image
C y a n o s i s
Sailor
Sailor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:08 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Alright one last question is a 60GB Serial ATA Drive small? If so, should I upgrade to a 80($50 extra), 100($150 extra) or 120 ($250 extra) and should I pay $79 to get iwork preinstalled or can I get my dad to do it? Should I buy an Apple USB Modem? or an apple adapter?

I found this stuff at http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/1214001/wo/lk7dqvJAwwro2zEnmCe1msspj1k/1.?p=0

Retired CT Member
Stealth
▲RAWR TRIANGLE RAWR▲

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:23 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

If you're going to use it for something other than gaming, then a 60GB is fine. If you want just a tad bit expansion, I'd go with an 80 GB.

As for the preinstallation... that's entirely up to you.

User-posted image
C y a n o s i s
Sailor
Sailor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:26 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I'm thinking of getting 1 GB of RAM and keeping the 60 GB of hard drive because I use the computer for like myspace and msn and that junk and not so much games and I want a fast computer incase the time comes I want to play some old games. Does that sound good? Also, can you goto that link and see if I might need anything else... like a Mac USB Modem?

Oh and, what if I want the Photoshop and that shit, should I aim for a higher hd?

Retired CT Member
CountChocula
Warning- may cause CountChoculitis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:30 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

!moved to computer tech section, since I haven't excercised my power of moderation in a while
[20:43] -≠∫ĆŤ∫≠- ŜρξčļαГ јỈмMﻻ: we'll aim for bender
[20:43] -≠∫ĆŤ∫≠- ŜρξčļαГ јỈмMﻻ: but use a lot of napalm
Stealth
▲RAWR TRIANGLE RAWR▲

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:49 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Are you going to be using Dial up? If not, then you don't need the apple modem.

And if you're going to get PS anytime soon, I'd get more Gbs for your HD. But only if you're getting it real soon. You can always get a bigger hard drive.

User-posted image
C y a n o s i s
Sailor
Sailor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:59 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I have a modem, and also if I get ps and that shit, what size harddrive? Also, I may be not even getting this until like a while because at minimum wage, and shit, I can prob work 10 hours a week, maybe more and it's 7.75 around an hour thats like 40 a month x 7.75 which is like 280 a month and then my parents might pay for like 200 of the laptop so then I'll need to be working for aorund 5 months.

Retired CT Member
Stealth
▲RAWR TRIANGLE RAWR▲

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:15 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

My adobe folder is around 2 Gigs. So you can choose one to your liking with that knowledge. =)

User-posted image
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Computer Tech Section All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: