Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
MY latest model

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SupaFly
Gunner Fan Club President

Location: sunnydale mental institution (for the mentally unstable) ((like me)) (((supa)))
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:06 pm 
Post subject: MY latest model
Top Reply with quote

for the record, i wazs planning to post this before i saw brudio's plane, but hell, now he has a headless pilot Razz

User-posted image

VERY low poly (what im actually the proudest of)

this is my very first attempt at a body (the head is elsewhere waiting to be attatched) and i think it went quite well, i used the pirates body to make sure i kept the proportions right & ended up cutting the poly count in HALF while basically keeping the same amount of detail

when i get this project finalized (its my final due on wed Razz ) ill post it up (itll be skinned & headed by then)
Special Jimmy
Neo-Kaufmanist
Neo-Kaufmanist

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:16 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Leet, now we got a pimp pilot to drive brudio's pimp plane.
Wang Chung wrote:
MikeSty 22: they say Rome wasn't built in a day
MikeSty 22: but they never had the Fucking Cut Throats
Bunny
Chips' Wench

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:42 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Nice Supa Very Happy
Brutus
BuffNerd
BuffNerd

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:32 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Sweet! I am sooo looking forward to doing character animation... I know there is much more to it than you can see in a static model too - like the polycount you got and the mechanics of the skin at the joints, etc.

Tonight we learn UV mapping - though I dont expect to get more than an overview. I know I'll have to teach myself. But at least knowing the intent/lingo is enabling.

Hopefully the teacher gets into character modeling at least a little. BUT, I think he is too nancy to get into character animation with my class full of artsy noobs. Wink
SupaFly

Location: sunnydale mental institution (for the mentally unstable) ((like me)) (((supa)))
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:02 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Brutus wrote:
Sweet! I am sooo looking forward to doing character animation... I know there is much more to it than you can see in a static model too - like the polycount you got and the mechanics of the skin at the joints, etc.

Tonight we learn UV mapping - though I dont expect to get more than an overview. I know I'll have to teach myself. But at least knowing the intent/lingo is enabling.

Hopefully the teacher gets into character modeling at least a little. BUT, I think he is too nancy to get into character animation with my class full of artsy noobs. Wink

if you can (or feel the urge to), get into a class for char modeling (its pretty much all ours is, we spent a week on "modeling" & the rest on animation & texturing & the like

all in all, i think that one would animate all right, but the legs might get a bit iffy if i dont run a few more cuts around the knee area

but anyway, im not too sure how uv mapping is in maya (ive got it down in 3ds, i ripped out a face texture in 10 mins that dropped my teachers jaw) but if you can get the basics, youll learn FAR more just messing around than you will from any book (i would include teachers too, but they always seem to have that one tiny piece of the puzzle youre missing right when you need it)

youre pretty good at base textures to begin with (as least tweaking mine you were Razz ) so im really looking forward to what you can do to that plane once you get it mapped out the way it needs to be (which on a model like that is much easier said than done)

but it looks like youve come as far as i have in modeling (miles upon miles for me) if youve had ti pounded into you to watch for triangles like i have, youll be a static object machine in no time, lol

(even though my awesome moldel above has 4 of the little fuckers)
Invader_G1R
Helmsman
Helmsman

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:10 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

My only attempt into character animation was quite difficult.
Had to rely completely on online tutorials (which can be as good as any class if you can find good ones).
What program are you using?
I will see if I have any good tutorial sites bookmarked.

Last edited by Invader_G1R on Mon May 08, 2006 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Invader_G1R
Helmsman
Helmsman

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:25 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I also gotta add that that guy is already lookin' really nice (even headless heh).
I dunno what it is but I cannot make anything that even slightly resembles a human.
SupaFly

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:01 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

im using 3ds

basically to get the proportins right i imported the pirates model & made a box next to it, centered the box on the torso, extruded the arms to the right length & same with the legs... then you use quickslice to divide it where you need to & play with the verts till it looks like something out of quake 1, apply a mesh smooth after that & itll come to life

that one is after one mesh smooth (and the corrections you do afterward) i basicaly saved it like that to be a base for any body i need to do (why make a new one every time??)

from that point i started tugging verts for the details & got to this:
User-posted image

changed it to green so i could see the blue verts a bit better, but thats the same model as before

if you plan to animate it, keeping it all in rectangles will help it light a bit better than if everything gets skewed, but thats the short version of how you do it

and to be quite honest, the classroom taught me nothing about doing a body (we did heads in class) except the basics of 3ds... proportions are the hardest part & since i had something to go on, it made it easy to get started & the rest just fell in line

the hands pretty much suck hard though, im still learning the little things, but i figure after i do a couple more, ill be good to go
theboomboom
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:43 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Purdy!
What's the poly on the new one compared to the old?

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Xfire Username MSN Messenger
Invader_G1R
Helmsman
Helmsman

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:24 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Good tutorial sites I have bookmarked that I am sure have 3DS tutorials:
http://www.3dbuzz.com/
http://www.tutorialized.com/
http://www.highend3d.com
http://www.pixel2life.com/
SupaFly

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:13 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

theboomboom wrote:
Purdy!
What's the poly on the new one compared to the old?

new one is 2300ish
Stealth
▲RAWR TRIANGLE RAWR▲

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:32 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Character animation can be easier than it sounds. You basically create a skeleton for the actual model and just have the bones bend the mesh by moving the bone. The mesh links to the bone so that when you move either the mesh or the bone itself, the whole thing would move. This is for something like an arm of course and not like a mouth or an eye.

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Below Deck All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: