Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
Spore

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Aladdin's Castle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Invader_G1R
Helmsman
Helmsman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:17 pm 
Post subject: Spore
Top Reply with quote

This video is from the Game Developers Conference (GDC) from last year.
Will Wright (the creator of Populous, SimCity, The Sims, and many more) talks about his newest game, Spore.
61 minutes long and absolutely awesome.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-262774490184348066&q=spore
(the video has this weird click noise that happens every minute or so, once he gets into showing the game, you won't notice it.)
GDC '06 is on the 20th of this month and there will be FOUR individual talks just about Spore.
This looks like it could quite possible be the best game ever.
Invader_G1R
Helmsman
Helmsman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:20 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

WATCH THE MOVIE
Hirmuinen
CT Certified Sales Rep.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:00 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

LOL aamm, aamm, aamm...x1000
anonymousity
Stealth's Wench
Stealth's Wench

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:53 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

This game does look rediculously creative. Im really eager to get more info on it.

This and the N-Revolution.. im becoming obsessive on trying to find facts on the rev :p
AlMightyBob
Dictator-Elect
Dictator-Elect

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:49 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

holy s***
wow that game could be revolutionary if they can pull it off. screw the multi-genre rule i WANNA PLAY. each stage of evolution is like a whole new game Shocked
Raiding Reporter
Deckswab
Deckswab

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:59 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I cant wait to get that. I have been so exitied to get that ever since i was like 11.
[BB]Enfield
Sailor
Sailor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:34 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

WTF THAT IS SO AWESOME ,
sorry for caps.
[BB]Hirmuinen: but it's boring
[BB]E: LOL
Hirmuinen
CT Certified Sales Rep.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:05 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

One thing I'm worried about...lifespan. Yes, theres lots of things to do, but are they much different? Like once you take care of the planet against rather simply AI controlled cities, what else is there to do? He took the alien and went to other planet, then he just simply made it alive, but what use is it? He can go to other galaxy, and even take planets from there, but you still do the same things over again, again, again...
No matter even if you can get "new" content from other players, the same things just repeats.

You can make new types of "creatures" and they act differently, but how much does it affect to gameplay? It all seemed very simple, run away, breed - get to next level. Same with every creature. And the planet is full of the same creatures. And the "very mini-version" things bothered me, you can't really have a great RTS here, you can't really have great 3rd-person adventure game here, you can't have great simulation here, what do you get? Mix of all these "mini-versions".

And I didn't like how the UFO was just too over powered, like it was a shock when he could just destroy the planet so easily, without futher problems. Made me feel like watching some ridiculous easy game made for little kids, hey if you can't beat them - blow the planet!

I think this game is only fun for short amount of time, after that it just gets repetive and somewhat boring.
Achtane
Sailor
Sailor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:08 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Yeah, it looks like it will be good for one playthrough...then I'd probably never touch it again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Xfire Username MSN Messenger
Invader_G1R
Helmsman
Helmsman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:43 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

There willl be goals and things you need to accomplish in each area also.
Not just "get to the next stage!!!" kind of stuff either.

Being able to do what he did with the UFO will only be something you can do at the very end of the game.
Remember he is playing a dev version where he can skip ahead (and does several times).
You have to research/buy each one of the UFOs skills so it will be a looooong time before you can insta-terra form a planet or destroy one.

Each time you play, the creature you make, the ones it lives with, and the creatures culture are going to be completely different.

Also remember that this is a very early alpha build of the game, filmed a year ago.
A lot has been improved since then.

Every creature will be a LOT different. You saw how customizable creatures are. You can make land, sea, and air animals. The sea animals can build underwater cities when they become sentient.
You can design literally every single thing in the game on your own (bacteria, animals, plants, buildings, vehicles, planets, your UFO, and a lot more).
Creatures can be herbivores, carnivores, or omnivores, thus vastly changing how you play each one.
Their cultures will be different which will change how you play the later game a lot too (good luck taking over the world with a bunch of peaceful cowards like he played in the demo).
The creatures on your planet will be evolving as you do also, they just won't reach sentientce (there will be sentient creatures on other worlds though).
Every planet you go to will be different, and have it's own creatures you haven't seen before.
That Galaxy you see at the end is the whole game world, I think he said several thousand worlds, all unique (meaning when you start a new game, you will be in the same galaxy, but it will be next to impossible to find you're last race, but they're out there somewhere).

And to the "you can't really have a great RTS here, you can't really have great 3rd-person adventure game here, you can't have great simulation here".
Why not?
What is stopping those parts from being good?
I do not see how this could possibly ever be a "one playthrough" game.
I never understood how people could tell what a game CAN'T do from information from the alpha version. The only thing alpha info tells you is what it CAN do, and there is only room for improvement.
[BB]Enfield
Sailor
Sailor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:08 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Quoted for teh Elvis Pirate w/ Patch
[BB]Hirmuinen: but it's boring
[BB]E: LOL
Hirmuinen
CT Certified Sales Rep.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:02 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Maybe I should try again. Little more shortly this time.

The game feels very simple to play, like you saw from the shop system. He just clicked it and zam - there it is. Same goes for military and it looked like you coudn't even control these soldiers/tanks/planes. Like all he did was click the shop button, build something and look what happens.

Therefore it's not really full blown RTS, 3rd Person, or simulation.
logohere

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:52 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Hirmuinen wrote:
Maybe I should try again. Little more shortly this time.

The game feels very simple to play, like you saw from the shop system. He just clicked it and zam - there it is. Same goes for military and it looked like you coudn't even control these soldiers/tanks/planes. Like all he did was click the shop button, build something and look what happens.

Therefore it's not really full blown RTS, 3rd Person, or simulation.

The key is simple gameplay. It's something that is meant to be picked up and played for a while without getting completely involved in it, but in a sense provide you with almost 100% involvement because you practically control/make everything. Will Wright stated that he took the best parts of a few great games and combined them. Also understand that this is a demo.
Most games demos (non playable of course) CHANGE before an actual retail product is made. Will also stated that each "species" will have its own form of thinking/culture. Meaning that AI will take over how your units act depending on what you do. Much like that alien planet that was destroyed by the UFO, it is a full blown simulation. Multiple players directly/indirectly create an expansive galaxy from simple celled organisms.

One of the key elements I personally liked was the freeform over buildings and creatures with simple editors. Also, the fact of being able to use things made by others if I do not choose to build it myself. There are so many options in Spore! Like all games it is of course limited to a point. Except this one goes well beyond every game in existance. I WANT!

User-posted image
CountChocula
Warning- may cause CountChoculitis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:13 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

hopefully they release a playable demo of some sort, it kinda reminds me of that old SNES game Evo or whatever, where you start as a fish and evolve n' junk, that was a pretty sweet game Smile
[20:43] -≠∫ĆŤ∫≠- ŜρξčļαГ јỈмMﻻ: we'll aim for bender
[20:43] -≠∫ĆŤ∫≠- ŜρξčļαГ јỈмMﻻ: but use a lot of napalm
Special Jimmy
Neo-Kaufmanist
Neo-Kaufmanist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:16 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I'll play this game.
Wang Chung wrote:
MikeSty 22: they say Rome wasn't built in a day
MikeSty 22: but they never had the Fucking Cut Throats
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Aladdin's Castle All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: