Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
Help da brotha' out gee-dawgz!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Computer Tech Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stealth
▲RAWR TRIANGLE RAWR▲

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:26 pm 
Post subject: Help da brotha' out gee-dawgz!
Top Reply with quote

Stealth is graduating from High School... and yall know what that means =D

New computerz0rz!!!!!

Today I found out my mom and step dad are buying me a brand new computer. But I get to choose which one. I need something that can handle heavy duty stuff as much as possible, but to be under 2000. More around 1800 and below.

I'm going into digital media, so I'm going to be needing a hardcore video card and a LOT of disk space. So big hard drive = a must.

However, my mom doesn't want me to build a computer like I have been. She wants to order from Dell b/c we have an account there through Unumprovident. Because of this, we'd get a discount for all Dell related products. I'm not exactly sure how big the discount is though.

So, It needs to be these things:

-A Dell of some kind
-Desktop or Laptop
-Has to have a big hard drive, even if it's an "extra"
-A graphics card capible of running Maya, Any other 3D Modelling software, AutoCAD, and other heavy duty programs
-I'd really prefer if it had a PCI Express slot
-They're ordering it at the beginning of April

They're currently looking into the XPS Series, but just casual ideas.

Any recommendations?

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bunny
Chips' Wench

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:19 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Same hea'
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:34 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Kill yo 'rents and take the $$$

On low-end, OEM has you beat. On high-end, $1800 beats their shit even with monsta' rebates. If you gave me $1800 i would build one fucking beast of a machine.

You must convince 'em!!!!!!!!
SupaFly
Gunner Fan Club President
Gunner Fan Club President

Location: sunnydale mental institution (for the mentally unstable) ((like me)) (((supa)))
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:11 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Wang Chung wrote:
Kill yo 'rents and take the $$$

On low-end, OEM has you beat. On high-end, $1800 beats their shit even with monsta' rebates. If you gave me $1800 i would build one fucking beast of a machine.

You must convince 'em!!!!!!!!

QFE, oem has everyone beat on high end

for 2 grand you can build basically top of the line all around (if you hit the price point on the cpu, thats the only compromise)

and if you wanna run cad & 3ds max, id suggest at least 2 gigs of ram, but with a 2 grand budget, i bet you could squeeze in 4 (with 4 gigs of ram & a dual core cpu, you could prolly run cad, 3ds, photoshop & bf42 all at the same time, lol)
ChrisT
John Jameson
<font color=#50C5FF><b>John Jameson</b></font>

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:32 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

shit get what i got, only have 2x the ram, different case, nice dual core processor, get 2x the vid card or just 1 really nice 1, then on top of that get a dvd burner drive and a cd burnerdrive, a floppy drive, and 250 GB Hard drive (really fast and nice) , and another 500 gb harddrive (slower)

250 hard drive for games and 500 for all your maya and photoshop and other graphical shit, and btw hit me up on x-fire I got a graduating present for you. Milk knowes what i'm talking about Wink

you definately need to convince them to build your own....

unless you are getting a 50% discount or greater..........(lol then you could buy a 3000 dell and mod it w/ 500$ worth of stufff)
firefox_71
Old Fart
Old Fart

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:48 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Wang Chung wrote:
If you gave me $1800 i would build one fucking beast of a machine.

QFE!

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Xfire Username Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:50 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

SupaFly wrote:
Wang Chung wrote:
On low-end, OEM has you beat. On high-end, $1800 beats their shit !

QFE, oem has everyone beat on high end

??????
theboomboom
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:30 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Next time you catch Steve on XFire, talk to him. Him and his dad have 4 Dell desktop/laptops between the two of them, so he should know probably more than anybody else around here.

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Xfire Username MSN Messenger
Stealth
▲RAWR TRIANGLE RAWR▲

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:56 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=DXPS600G2&s=dhs

That's what they're looking at. But my parents are like... not computer savvy. They don't want to "risk" anything I build... even though I built this machine. :/

The only possible way I could build a machine is if my father pitches in and helps. But he's on the poor end, so the chances of that happening are slim to none.

And what is OEM?! Shocked

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cap'n Crunch
Illiterate Suicide Boy
<font color=orange><b>Illiterate Suicide Boy</b></font>

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:02 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

OEM (what they're talking about) would be an "off the shelf" computer like a Dell or some other brand. They are usually good for cheap computers for people that just need to do word processing/email but are way overpriced for high end computers. Almost all of them use cheap mobo's and PSU's that seem to die... often.

-≠∫ĆŤ∫≠-�μ�ąҒ��: lets go snort some cock

User-posted image
User-posted image
theboomboom
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:22 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I've had an emachine for 6 years now, and when I bought it it was about $400 (actually my grandfather bought it for us), but it has withstood everything I have put in it, it just isn't upgradeable.

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Xfire Username MSN Messenger
Stealth
▲RAWR TRIANGLE RAWR▲

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:03 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

My dad may convince them yet...

So! What parts are recommended? Due note that now that my father is pitching in, I may bet a few extra $100s in there.

We're looking around a 2000-2200 dollar machine.

User-posted image
Cap'n Crunch
Illiterate Suicide Boy
<font color=orange><b>Illiterate Suicide Boy</b></font>

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:08 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Spend $1500ish on the computer and the rest on booze and hoez.

Wink

-≠∫ĆŤ∫≠-�μ�ąҒ��: lets go snort some cock

User-posted image
User-posted image
ChrisT
John Jameson
<font color=#50C5FF><b>John Jameson</b></font>

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:24 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Cap'n Crunch wrote:
Spend $1500ish on the computer and the rest on booze and hoez.

Wink

qfe
Brutus
BuffNerd
BuffNerd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:36 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Hell spend the first $25 of the booze money buying the first rounds then let your drunk friends happily pay for rest of the $250 nights.

And for the 1/4 the price of a hoe, pay $50 ($30 in pizza/ice cream in 20 in drinks again) for a night out then let your date pay your way through college (until you drop out) then pay your bills forever.

Shit yo, what are you going to do with the additional $1425 I just saved you!?! OH! You could buy me a new computer for $500!

Brutus' investment advice ftw...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Computer Tech Section All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: