Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
College
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:09 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Brutus wrote:

I would recommend the Navy specifically. Even if you go Army or Marines you are VERY VERY VERY unlikely to die. Rolling Eyes Do the math, even during times of war... In Gulf War I we actually had a lower death rate in the service because the combat casualty rate was less than drunken driving accident fatality rate for servicemen at home. Rolling Eyes

The reason I recommend the Navy specifically is:
1: you will see more
2: they are forced to do more with fewer people - which means MORE training and more TECHNICAL training to boot.

Agreed. An old mate of mine who I played CS back in the day with was an ex-navy guy about your age. Really got his life in shape and helped him build a strong IT career for IBM. Hah!

Specifically, Reason #2 is what I've haerd the most - technical hands-on training is amazing.
Cap'n Sprite
Crazy Puertorican
Crazy Puertorican

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:28 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

LOL, Thanks guys for the replys.

First, I know that if you go to the Army/Navy whatever that it will teach me lot about myself. I never thought about that until I saw the Navy guys in the school. First I really hate to study, even though I'm pretty smart and I catch things really quick but that's if I give a toss about the material, if I find it boring then I will not lear shit.

About the physical part of the Navy/Army, that would be the fun part IMO, I'm in really good shape, well at least I was prior to all the partys with alcohol Very Happy. I even represented Puerto Rico in a baskteball tournament in Disneys Wide World of Sport on 2002, so I'm a good athlete. And plus I like wrestling, so I want to have a really good physic, oviously without the roids. ^_^

The only thing that would be a problem for me would be waking up early. >.<
I have no problem folling orders and all. BTW I saw Annapolis last week (The Navy movie) and what all they did was cool as shit, train and box. I have no interest whatsoever in carrying a gun or going to war. Hell give me a spoon and I'll like it better than a gun. BTW in the Navy can you train and all but stay on a base without having to go to war ?

And yes Wangzor, go to Harvard, SKEET SKEET MOTHAFUCKA. ^_^
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:33 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Cap'n Sprite wrote:

About the physical part of the Navy/Army, that would be the fun part IMO, I'm in really good shape, well at least I was prior to all the partys with alcohol Very Happy. I even represented Puerto Rico in a baskteball tournament in Disneys Wide World of Sport on 2002, so I'm a good athlete. And plus I like wrestling, so I want to have a really good physic, oviously without the roids.

Well keep up the good athleticism - that's something I won't ever, ever be able to accomplish so I have a lot of respect for you. Just stay away from the booze if ya wanna soar bro Smile You might be able to get into a really good US school on a basketball scholarship if you keep playing.
Cap'n Sprite
Crazy Puertorican
Crazy Puertorican

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:41 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

LOL, if you said that to me like 2 years ago then yeah I might get into a US school for a b-ball scholarship but not now. I only play on the school team now, not on outside leagues, so I'm not THAT good anymore. I don't drink like a maniac but just normal. But I'll stick to the studies (Yuckk) and when I finish H.S either I'll go to the University of Puerto Rico (UPR) or I'll join the Navy. The first option is the most likely but never say never. Maybe I'll be the next Brudio ^_^
Brutus
BuffNerd
BuffNerd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:43 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Navy at war = navy at training. The Navy trains itself harder than any of its opponents will ever treat them. In the Navy you should expect to spend perhaps 1/4 of the time at sea doing on and off training stuff and then a 6-month cruise overeas every 18 months. 18-6-18-6.

The otehr thing the Navy taught me was I dont know what I want. I wanted to be stationed in CT cuz it was "close to home". They sent me to California and Hawaii. OMFG im an idiot - i thought after moving there, what was i thinking. And now loking back, I dont recall any of the time I spent in port - ho hum. All the good times and memories were out doing the cool shit.

The world is rich in opportunities for new experiences. Dont be afraid to seeing the world. You WILL enjoy seeing what lies beyond your back yard.
Cap'n Sprite
Crazy Puertorican
Crazy Puertorican

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:48 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

That's cool Brutus, I've heard that a lot, that the Navy is the best training center of all the armed forces. When you were in the Navy, what kind of shit did you have to do phycally, like drills in the morning, boxing Question
AxeBlind
Old Fart's Cabin Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:13 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Hmm yall guys don't know how close I was to going to the Citadel or applying at West Point, it was a major option for me as I was really into military strategies, and wasn't sure what I was going to do.
ChrisT
John Jameson
<font color=#50C5FF><b>John Jameson</b></font>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:40 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I would try college first before I went to the armed forces. If you find you cannot afford it/ it's not your thing, then you can go on to the armed forces.

Like previously stated, you have to be good at following orders, and if those orders are that you are going to war, then you are going to war. Not much you can do about that one.

Of course you could be an Technical person, or a mechanic (like my cousin). That may prevent you from being on the front lines with a gun, but it doesn't mean you arn't out of danger.

BTW for fitness:
Running (distance 6 miles I think)
Situps
Pushups
Pullups.
The same stuff that you do in gym class, only a lot more strenuous.
2shoes
1337 CT badass bow
1337 CT badass bow

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:12 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

go with what my pop told me theres never been an army astronaut

...if pirates stays on bf1942 i'd hate to see the community grow even smaller, but i know i'll always be around and i hope the rest of you will too!

Special Jimmy wrote:
This mod is rightfully ours, and fuck everyone that stands in our way.

fair winds and following seas, lil shoes 8/3/94-6/23/09
Brutus
BuffNerd
BuffNerd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:21 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

If you can do college go for it. I tried college twice pre-Navy and dropped out both times. I was too lazy.

However after having the Navy fix my ass I had several degrees (including a Masters of Science) and some certificates in only 5 years WHILE working full time to boot. That said, if I could have gotten the Masters out of high school I might be be in a better spot but I doubt it (experience-wise).

The Navy also paid for $100,000 of my schooling costs after I got out (I think they offer more now). While in the navy they paid a flat 75% of college tuition and all books (which did not come from the $100,000 pool they saved for after you get out).

The Navy doesnt do boxing. However, as I went to a technical school for two years I was able to pursue full contact muai thai training in the evenings. Very Happy They never said shit about me coming in with swollen lips, black eyes, cuts, etc. I f'd up my thumb really good though so the medical guys made me get a waiver from my school saying that it was an ok activity - and that wasnt a problem. Razz

You will likely do a fitness regime every day but it is more slow-paced wake-up kinda stuff, not performance kinda stuff. The Physical Readiness Tests (PRT) are the most difficult part after boot camp - and they aren't difficult. The actual PRTs are:

run 1.5 miles
pushups for 60 seconds (as many as you can)
situps for 60 seconds (as many as you can)
Thats it...

Boot Camp will be worse of course but I still doubt you will do more than 1 hour of physical stuff a day. Unless you are a tard or smartass cuz then you'll do lots of pushups. Cool The hardest part of boot camp is no phone calls, no email or video games, etc. It can be very lonely but youll make great friends and stay busy. Getting up in the morning is actually easy when they make you go to bed at night. Wink

I would say the military isnt the best for everyone but I cant really decide who that would be. I wish I could play devil's advocate and put it down more too but I cant. Maybe Shoes or K9 can??? It can be depressing sometimes but its the same in the civilian world so it isn't unique to the military. I think the worst part for me was knowing I was getting out but being stuck for another year before I could. You cant just quit.

If you are considering it then get some more info but tell the recruiter you dont want to be harassed every day or you wont come back. Thats what I told them and they respected it. (no promises there though - I could have just had a cool recruiter).

If you are really considering joining you will take a test to see what kind of "ratings" or career paths you are qualified for. This is where people usually go south if they are going to. Dont be enticed by bonus $ too much. READ the job descriptions, dont guess at what you think would be cool or rush through shit. I wanted to be a Gunner's Mate until I read they only maintained the cannons. I was like "wtf, hey man who shots the guns?". Razz The Fire Controlmen actually SHOOT the cannons. I completely skipped the Fire Controlmen sheet cuz I thought they fought fires - a.k.a. fire man. Dont make assumptions... If you actually got to the part where you are considering a "rating" post it here. We'd reply with a lameness factor. Very Happy
Raed
Stoned Angry Gamer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:08 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Wang Chung wrote:
Now the real question is......... where is wang going to college? Harvard? Yale? Princeton? Cornell?

Good luck. Wink
ChrisT
John Jameson
<font color=#50C5FF><b>John Jameson</b></font>

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:12 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

anyoner else see the daily show where they talked about watering down the harshness of boot camp to increase volunteering?

also I believe if you go into service your kids get free full rides(in state) under the GI bill. I'm not sure just something I heard from a friend.
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:08 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

BOOM wrote:
Wang Chung wrote:
Now the real question is......... where is wang going to college? Harvard? Yale? Princeton? Cornell?

Good luck. Wink

Thanks, but luck is for people who lack talent.

That said, I was so happy when I ran the mile in 7:59. I beat my goal of 8:00 minutes. Quite a fucking improvement from 12:52 Smile
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:13 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Brutus wrote:
Getting up in the morning is actually easy when they make you go to bed at night. Wink

Exactly why the military won't work for me. 16 years and I stil refuse to go to bed when my parents ask me to. I've always seen sleep as something abstract and concrete. As much as I hate to admit it, I've come to realize it is an unfortunate necessity - a burden (ironically, one I'm forced to lay down) - and something I'll just have to deal with.

My ultimate goal is to find my limits of sleep, and ultiamtely waste as little of my life sleeping as I possibly can. It's just how my brain works. Some people are hot in the morning and cold in the evening. Some people wind up and wind down. I start out slow and just become more and more conscious until I pass out. Going to bed at 11PM just doesn't cut it some nights. I need an extra hour to think about things, because my thoughts are very important.

To sum it up - "regulated" sleep is not for teh wangar.
AxeBlind
Old Fart's Cabin Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:59 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I think making boot camp easier will decrease troop quality as well as make it harder for the troops to bond under pressure and hardship as it is supposed to. If I had gone into service, I would expect to be treated like shit to mold me into a good soldier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: