Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
Comp parts are here
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Computer Tech Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisT
John Jameson
<font color=#50C5FF><b>John Jameson</b></font>

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:47 pm 
Post subject: Comp parts are here
Top Reply with quote

alright, so everything is here, and now I get to go piece all the intricate parts together. But what i was planning on doing was scrapping the hd's from this one and hooking em up to that one.

Should I just unplug and re-plug, or should I reformat them first? Will the different drivers clash?

Also there are several intricate things on teh motherboard that you can change: **DF means default

PS/2 Power Select: 5v(df) vs 5VSB
USB Power Select: 5v(df) vs 5VSB
S/PDIF-Out Settings: S/PDIF-out via ALC850 vs S/PDIF-out via nForce4
DRAM 4V Select: DF vs Expand DRAM's Voltage up to 4V (what is the advantage of this)

Also WTF does S/PDIF stand for?

And finally for the ram, which slots 1-4, (1 &3) I believe it's 1 and 3 but I want to be positive. usually you leave a 1 gap space correct?
firefox_71
Old Fart
Old Fart

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:27 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Yes, slot 1 and 3

if you don't know what SPDIF is then don't worry about it.....leave it alone

Why not just leave the old machine together for emergency use/just surfing the net

if you just have to use them, i would format them

I would suggest you also get the CPU and RAM in there and the PSU and do any overclocking you are gonna do on the CPU and/or RAM right then before you even think about putting windows on it

like right now, you are using your old machine to ask about this stuff......if you take it apart how are you going to ask if you hit a snag? Very Happy

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Xfire Username Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:01 pm 
Post subject: Re: Comp parts are here
Top Reply with quote

Slaughter wrote:
alright, so everything is here, and now I get to go piece all the intricate parts together. But what i was planning on doing was scrapping the hd's from this one and hooking em up to that one.

Leave that shit be until you're up and running on the other machine.

Quote:
Should I just unplug and re-plug, or should I reformat them first? Will the different drivers clash?

See above, but eventually I would reformat if I were you

Quote:
PS/2 Power Select: 5v(df) vs 5VSB
USB Power Select: 5v(df) vs 5VSB
S/PDIF-Out Settings: S/PDIF-out via ALC850 vs S/PDIF-out via nForce4
DRAM 4V Select: DF vs Expand DRAM's Voltage up to 4V (what is the advantage of this)

Leave all that shit as default. DRAM voltage expansion is for memory overclocking.

Quote:

Also WTF does S/PDIF stand for?

Sony/Philips Digital Interface Format

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spdif GG

Quote:
And finally for the ram, which slots 1-4, (1 &3) I believe it's 1 and 3 but I want to be positive. usually you leave a 1 gap space correct?

Uhh gee it depends on how many sticks you have and what you're asking? Whatever, yeah, run it in 1 and 3 OR 2 and 4 if you want to take advantage of dual channel features.
ChrisT
John Jameson

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:35 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

well What I plan on doing is taking m raid array drives out of this one and putting them in the new 1. then take my extrnal and hook it into the old 1 for use at home.

As far as overclocking, I don'y plan on doing it, because I don't know how and don't feel like messing anything up.

as far as goofing up and not beig able to post, I can always use my laptop. But I will go ahead and leave everything be for the time being. Seeing as I don't have my reformat disk, and I need to back everything up before I reformat.
SupaFly
Gunner Fan Club President

Location: sunnydale mental institution (for the mentally unstable) ((like me)) (((supa)))
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:21 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

you can leave the hd's be if you want, but youve got about a 25% chance that windows will even boot after a hardware swap like that, if it works, cool, if not, join the club

even if it does boot, youll want to format anyway, itll be buggy as hell if you dont
theboomboom
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:16 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I built the machine using my old HDs and installed the OS on the first bootup (second actually, I had to configure the bios the first time). The things you are going to want to be careful of are a. plugging in the front panel stuff to the motherboard and b. jumper configurations. Those were basically the only problems I have ever encountered.

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Xfire Username MSN Messenger
ChrisT
John Jameson

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:18 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

jumper configs, and what do i have to set up in BIOS? everything is all hooked up and running aside from harddrives.
theboomboom
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:46 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I had to disable my onboard audio since I was going to be using another soundcard. That was about it, other than checking temps for normal readings and getting familiar with the interface incase I ever had to use it again.

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Xfire Username MSN Messenger
ChrisT
John Jameson

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:07 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Problem:
I cannot refprmat these disk to just windows XP, since it only came with a Compaq reformat disk, which will go ahead and install all the old drivers from the old machine.

does anyone know a way to get aroud it on the disk and just run windows? Also if I'm using a raid 0 array, do I need to have any kind of driver set up for that, or application. Or can I just hook up 2blank hdd's and the mobo regulates all that?

Also If there is no way around it, does anyone know where I can get a cracked version of XP professional?
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:09 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Ummm ask some "nerds" for a copy of WinXP pro corporate edition.
SupaFly

Location: sunnydale mental institution (for the mentally unstable) ((like me)) (((supa)))
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:23 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

and your mobo shouldve come with a floppy that has the raid drivers you need to install windows (if you watch the bottom during install itll say press f6? to install 3rd party raid drivers
firefox_71
Old Fart
Old Fart

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:41 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

IMHO

fahq raid 0, is it really worth the hassle?

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Xfire Username Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
theboomboom
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:04 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

The other way they are distributing the RAID 0 driver is on a CD that you have to use to format the floppy. Supa has the rest of the process right, I do believe it is F6 during the install And, it looks like you are going to have to buy/dl yourself a new copy of Win XP since those compaq disks are designed to only work on compaqs. You may get lucky, but your system will probably be buggy as hell.

User-posted image
ChrisT
John Jameson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:17 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

SupaFly wrote:
and your mobo shouldve come with a floppy that has the raid drivers you need to install windows (if you watch the bottom during install itll say press f6? to install 3rd party raid drivers

Oh so that's why I got a floppy disk labeled "SATA RAID Driver Disk"

So I insert this into my non existant floppy drive while I am installing windows after I hit f6?

firefox_71 wrote:
IMHO

fahq raid 0, is it really worth the hassle?

and yes it loads things from the hard drive quick as a mother fucker, I guess that's why compatible hard drives can be around 100$ more
ChrisT
John Jameson

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:35 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

not that i would ever download this, but.......
http://ts.searching.com/torrent/522767/Windows_XP_Pro_SP2_01_02_2006_DVD_Extras

what do you think of that? do i just burn it onto a dvd if i were to download it? Are the modifications that were made, good, necessary, detrimental?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Computer Tech Section All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: