Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
w00t my computer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Computer Tech Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Youpo
Deckswab
Deckswab

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:46 pm 
Post subject: w00t my computer
Top Reply with quote

Dont know if u know me, im -=SvS=-Youpo, and i have a problem ...

there's something with my graphical card and i thought maybe u could help

User-posted image

and when i play a game, first minut everything's fine
2nd minute, everything's green/yellow/purple
3rth minute, everything doesnt work anymore :

User-posted image

i tried to reinstall my drivers, but that didnt work (or i installed them wrong but Forn helped me, so blame him Wink )

If u know anything reply here or @ my xfire : youpo

Youpo
firefox_71
Old Fart
Old Fart

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:59 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

See if your monitor cable is firmly connected to your card

Check to see if the monitor cable is pinched or in a bind

Degauss your monitor...and do this failry regularly.

What kind of V-card are we talking about here?

Is the case overheating?

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Xfire Username Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Special Jimmy
Neo-Kaufmanist
Neo-Kaufmanist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:01 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Moved to computer support section
Wang Chung wrote:
MikeSty 22: they say Rome wasn't built in a day
MikeSty 22: but they never had the Fucking Cut Throats
Brutus
BuffNerd
BuffNerd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:43 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Good lord!

Does it only happen in the chat window and in game or does it occur when just on your desktop or in other applications as well?
SupaFly
Gunner Fan Club President

Location: sunnydale mental institution (for the mentally unstable) ((like me)) (((supa)))
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:42 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

looks a lot like a bad driver to me... maybe check for another new version

also make sure ur 3d appz are using the right render path

maybe a directx update too??
Youpo
Deckswab
Deckswab

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:23 am 
Post subject: some answers
Top Reply with quote

the card is Ati Radeon 9800 128 mb

just installed the catalyst driver

it isnt overheating, i've just started my pc and my windows XP loading screen wasn't normal

I've just updated directx to 9.0c

i now run my computer @ some low preferences, but when i dont play games it works normal.

this afternoon, i'm going to try another monitor, with some other cables

What's Degauss, it isnt in the dictionairy Sad

Youpo
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:54 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Degauss resets the adjusting magnets in the monitor, so try a degauss. I think it's actually a monitor problem, but what the fuck do I know. It could be a driver issue as well :/
Brutus
BuffNerd
BuffNerd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:35 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

It won't be fixed by degauss - that would correct warping at the edges and coloration issues. You have software issues judging by the pics you posted and the fact that it isn't present all the time.

I doubt you changing monitors/cables will fix it. I recommend you check to make sure that new ATI driver is right for XP and your card. (Though I think Radeon produces a pretty global driver)

Is this a new driver? If so, you might want to uninstall it and use your old driver. if there isn't a problem Radeon recommends you don't update... I have a Radeon and I found that to be a little scary. Very Happy

If you are updating old hardware to XP then that might be an issue too. i just updated my Dad's PC to XP and his scanner stopped working. After messing with it for a LONG time I finally found where that model 'just dun work' with XP. Rolling Eyes He gave it to my brother. Very Happy I am reaching now but a similar problem migh be happening with you chipset or something too but I really think it is software/driver related. If you had issues just loading the XP OS (I think that is what you said) then you might want to consider digging deeper than your video card/drivers.

Good luck!
Youpo
Deckswab
Deckswab

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:17 am 
Post subject: some more
Top Reply with quote

other monitor has the same problem (so it's the videocard)

it is a Dell Dimension 4600 with Windows XP pre-installed, it ran fine for 1,5 years, untill last week when this came, i haven't changed anything so i have no idea why it happened and what it could be

I've also updated my BIOS yesterday, and my problem is still there ...

Youpo
Brutus
BuffNerd
BuffNerd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:52 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

What other software have you installed recently?

So, the 9800 video card was around for 1.5 years and working ok too? Or is that a recent addition and those errors came with the new card? If it is new then did you have on-board video before? ( I ask becuase you should turn off the on-board video if that is what you had and haven't turned it off already)

I had a problem identical to the spiky 2nd picture but I can't recall exactly how I fixed it or what the problem was...

Try uninstalling the video card. Still have the same problems? If so then remove all the related drivers/software and reinstall them. You might consider re-downloading anything upgrades you pulled from the internet before installing them too as it might just be a corrupted file. You might also try repairing your OS with the install CD just for giggles.

If you have one, try another video card too - just to localize the problem to the 9800 video card or its software. Basically, you need to eliminate the fact the fact the the problem isn't larger than your video card (or prove that it is Very Happy)

If you haven't already, go to System Tools, System Information, Tools, DirectX Diagnostic Tool, and run those display tests. That might identify a problem too.
Youpo
Deckswab
Deckswab

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:32 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I ran the tests @ the videocard sector and all worked fine. The videocard has been in since i bought it and as far as i know there even isnt an onboard-videocard. I'll uninstall & install again tommorrow, now i have some homework to do. And nop, i dont have another videocard else Sad

Youpo
Brutus
BuffNerd
BuffNerd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:09 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Thinking about this more I REALLY think it is hardware. Based on the email, you have changed nothing and your tests pass.

The clincher here is the timing issue. Software will ALWAYS fail the same. Hardware is finicky nad unpredictable (heat, vibration, etc). Based on the error only occuring after some time on select applications - I would say you have a heat issue. Could be either motherboard or video card (something else?) but it is hardware.

If you cannot try a new video card then you will have to have it tested.

Here is a link to software (free) that can test your hardware. It has burn in tests that will stress your system and see what cracks:

http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/3000-2086-10018691.html

Its a cool tool. It might help you localize the problem. Good luck! Very Happy
SupaFly

Location: sunnydale mental institution (for the mentally unstable) ((like me)) (((supa)))
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:34 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

dirty contact maybe??? if so take the card out & use some rubbing alcohol on the contacts... maybe see if theres anything in the agp slot, blow the dust out & put it back

just another thing to try
Youpo
Deckswab
Deckswab

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:15 am 
Post subject: Drivers
Top Reply with quote

It were the drivers, i guess forn and i just installed them incorrect

thanks for all the ideas anyway Very Happy

Youpo

I'll kill u all @ CT now my pc works again Smile
Brutus
BuffNerd
BuffNerd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:30 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

ROFL

New troubleshooting step #1: check your Fornicator. If sober, clean with alcohol then re-test. Smashed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Computer Tech Section All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: