Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
question about LANs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Computer Tech Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CountChocula
Warning- may cause CountChoculitis

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:40 am 
Post subject: question about LANs
Top Reply with quote

as most of you know I have 2 computers, connected by a router

unfortunately, I have no idea how to set up a LAN game or anything like that, can anyone tell me what ports I need to forward, etc?
[20:43] -≠∫ĆŤ∫≠- ŜρξčļαГ јỈмMﻻ: we'll aim for bender
[20:43] -≠∫ĆŤ∫≠- ŜρξčļαГ јỈмMﻻ: but use a lot of napalm
Tawxic
Helmsman
Helmsman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:56 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

As long as the they're connected to each other,all you gotta do is create local game.
Brutus
BuffNerd
BuffNerd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:56 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

use a "switch" between the computers (~$30). That is plug both computers LAN ports to the switch. Then connect the the switch to the router instead of the PCs. The router isnt necessary, Hell the switch might have a router built in..., but it does improve your security. However, it might make it a biznithc to configure, and if you want to serve games dump the router.
SupaFly
Gunner Fan Club President

Location: sunnydale mental institution (for the mentally unstable) ((like me)) (((supa)))
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:12 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Brutus wrote:
use a "switch" between the computers (~$30). That is plug both computers LAN ports to the switch. Then connect the the switch to the router instead of the PCs. The router isnt necessary, Hell the switch might have a router built in..., but it does improve your security. However, it might make it a biznithc to configure, and if you want to serve games dump the router.

actually, his router prolly has a switch in it brudio (at least both of mine do)

just start a local game of whatever you want & search for it on the other comp... if u notice in bf42 under the mulitplayer menu theres internet & local... hit the local button & it should find it... most games should have something similar
CountChocula

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:30 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

oh come on Supa, I'm not THAT incompitent, I know how to make / look for a local game, they just... don't show up..

if it means anything, I got a linksys wireless router (though I don't use it as a wireless... mass of tangled wires FTW), does that have a switch / how can I tell if it does?

also, what ports should I open in my firewall / router, or do I have to?
Brutus
BuffNerd
BuffNerd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:40 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

If it does have a switch you should just be able to look on "My Network" and see it. If you are using Zone Alarm or Firewalls you might have to take them down or customize the settings. <<Good luck with that...
CountChocula

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:44 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

do the firewalls / intrusion detection / etc need to be turned off on BOTH computers, or just the one you're hosting from?
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:13 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

All routers have a switch in them. Period. The difference between a router and a switch is that a router has the ability to take an outside connection / external IP and route it to the different computers through the switch. A router will have firmware and advanced settings and whatnot. The key to the router is generally DHCP (dynamic host configuration protocol) which is usually what allows you to plug in a comp and go online. A switch does not have this advanced firmware and therefore can not assign local IP addresses to computers nor can it route an external signal. Thus, a switch is just a piece of hardware designed to link more than two computers together. If you connect two machines via a switch, they must be assigned a static IP or they can use an IP previously assigned by DHCP in some other case.

More importantly, you will probably need to turn off the firewall on the computer HOSTING the server. If you have a router, you probably don't need a firewall anyway.
SupaFly

Location: sunnydale mental institution (for the mentally unstable) ((like me)) (((supa)))
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:13 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Wang Chung wrote:
If you have a router, you probably don't need a firewall anyway.

there ya go... i didnt realize u had software firewalls choc.... and remember, with the amount of totally comp illiterate ppl i deal with, im conditioned to assume the worst.. my bad

anyway the router should keep you nice & cozy, so scrap those other firewalls, unless you have some uber sensitive info on ur comps, i woulndt bother turning em back on
firefox_71
Old Fart
Old Fart

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:14 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

do you have both of the computers networked with XP already?

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Xfire Username Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Brutus
BuffNerd
BuffNerd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:48 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

All routers do not have a switch (switches used to be LAN "hubs" in the home user market), just for the record. Today people call everything anything...

Routers connect networks, switches connect computers. Routers define the boundaries of a LAN, switches facilitate LAN communications. Think Internet and Intranet. Yes, most home-consumer routers now are bundled with integrated switches, or vice versa depending on your perspective. No, not every router on the market will act as a LAN hub.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/lan-switch-cisco.shtml#switchandnet
CountChocula

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:42 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

firefox_71 wrote:
do you have both of the computers networked with XP already?

I do believe so, when I go to "Network Connections" it says I have a LAN, though I can't share files or anything of that nature that I should be able to, so idk if it's networked CORRECTLY..

oh and don't worry about it Supa Razz I'm not the most computer literate guy around
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:22 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Brutus wrote:
All routers do not have a switch (switches used to be LAN "hubs" in the home user market), just for the record. Today people call everything anything...

Routers connect networks, switches connect computers. Routers define the boundaries of a LAN, switches facilitate LAN communications. Think Internet and Intranet. Yes, most home-consumer routers now are bundled with integrated switches, or vice versa depending on your perspective. No, not every router on the market will act as a LAN hub.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/lan-switch-cisco.shtml#switchandnet

OK brutus, how about this:

No router Count Chocula will own shall lack a switch.
firefox_71
Old Fart
Old Fart

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:51 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

hey choc, create a home network under My Network Places...it will be in the menu to the left. You will need a floppy....if you have both running XP it will probably do it automatically...that may just be pro. This will probably allow you to see the LAN games as well. Wink

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Xfire Username Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CountChocula

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:09 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

firefox_71 wrote:
You will need a floppy....

*giggles*
neither of my computers have floppy drives though... and I think I've tried that before.. I'll mess w/ it more
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Computer Tech Section All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: