Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
OMG OMG OMG!!!!! EVERYONE DO THIS!!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Computer Tech Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  

when did u last dust your computer out
today, duh nubcakes
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
a week ago, im so cool
33%
 33%  [ 4 ]
a month ago, it should be ok
58%
 58%  [ 7 ]
like, i dunno, 6 months or so??
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
how do you open the case?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 12

SupaFly
Gunner Fan Club President

Location: sunnydale mental institution (for the mentally unstable) ((like me)) (((supa)))
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:52 pm 
Post subject: OMG OMG OMG!!!!! EVERYONE DO THIS!!!!
Top Reply with quote

clean your case!!!!!!

i blew all the dust outta mine today cuz i thought it was getting a bit warmer than normal (although i thought it was due to the heat in the house... were having a 100 year heat wave in MN, it was 103 yesterday, but i digress) so i decided to clean the beast & add an uber 1337 pci slot fan under my video card... idle temp lately has been around 100F (its the lcd readout on my case, the heat sensor is stuck in my cpu heatsink, usually its reading is the average between the thermal die on the chip & the ambient case temp) after cleaning, idle temp is 84 degrees!!!!! thats a 16 degreee drop!!!!111!!!!2

anyway, the moral of the story is, i just did this like 6 weeks ao (without that much temp drop, i know the new fan may be a factor, but its only 1 pci slot tall & its 16 degreees!!!11!!!!221!!!) so u may think your case is clean, but look very carefully at the cpu fan, if u cant see the heatsink fins thru the fan, time to clean....

so now you know

AND KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE!!!! GOOOOOO JOE!!!!!
firefox_71
Old Fart
Old Fart

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:11 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I hear ya Sup, last time i did it, there was a nice layer of dust under the cpu fan preventing it from blowing down into the fins of the heatsink Rolling Eyes

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Xfire Username Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nugget
Hax0r
Hax0r

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:12 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

cleaned ouyt my case alittle bit ago
User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Xfire Username
CountChocula
Warning- may cause CountChoculitis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:59 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I only do it when it starts making funny noises, which it was doing a month ago... Rolling Eyes
[20:43] -≠∫ĆŤ∫≠- ŜρξčļαГ јỈмMﻻ: we'll aim for bender
[20:43] -≠∫ĆŤ∫≠- ŜρξčļαГ јỈмMﻻ: but use a lot of napalm
Blunugz
Sailor
Sailor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:18 am 
Post subject: Re: OMG OMG OMG!!!!! EVERYONE DO THIS!!!!
Top Reply with quote

NugzBitchNamedSupaFly wrote:

(although i thought it was due to the heat in the house... were having a 100 year heat wave in MN, it was 103 yesterday, but i digress)

Ahhhhhhh, good ol central air! I swear the devil must of made it. Twisted Evil
SupaFly

Location: sunnydale mental institution (for the mentally unstable) ((like me)) (((supa)))
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:50 am 
Post subject: Re: OMG OMG OMG!!!!! EVERYONE DO THIS!!!!
Top Reply with quote

Blunugz wrote:
NugzBitchNamedSupaFly wrote:

(although i thought it was due to the heat in the house... were having a 100 year heat wave in MN, it was 103 yesterday, but i digress)

Ahhhhhhh, good ol central air! I swear the devil must of made it. Twisted Evil

yeah, but i work in a damn restuarant & the AC is fuckin broke, so by the oven & grill its like 130... and theres actually a window AC about 4 feet from my comp.. but it hasnt been doing too well
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:03 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Funny, an old CS bud of mine had comp problems. Overheating, severe shit like not booting or hardcore crashing. He simply cleaned the hell out of the thing and it worked when he booted it Shocked

Once I clean my fucking nasty room, I'll clean out my comp.
ChrisT
John Jameson
<font color=#50C5FF><b>John Jameson</b></font>

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:59 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I have a clear panel on the side and I havn't cleaned it out in about a year. I can seee and inch of dust in there Razz

btw you know something I can use 2 get dust outta cracks?
firefox_71
Old Fart
Old Fart

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:23 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

canned air

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Xfire Username Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SupaFly

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:11 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

firefox_71 wrote:
canned air

when u use canned air in a case, be sure to do short bursts so it dun get cold & condense water... we have a portable air tank that i used to do mine... but if its just the case side, take it off & wash it in the sink, or even a dry rag would be fine, i just wiped the crap off mine with a cloth
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:18 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Oi oi, don't waste that canned air ... and hold it vertical AT ALL TIMES LIKE IT SAYS! READING COMPREHENSION! I slipped up once and didn't hold it upright ... needless to say, I was worried my fingers were gonna get frostbite :-/

Anyway, it looks like I'll be cleaning my comp soon. My stepdad flipped out at me saying my room is a shithole blah blah blah, and if it wasn't any better when he got home tomorrow he's throwing everything out. For most of you, you'd remain complacent, but the dude's a psycho and I'm a pack rat.
Stealth
▲RAWR TRIANGLE RAWR▲

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:20 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

there needs to be a "never" option

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GotMilk?
Shaniqua

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:30 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

yea I think I cleaned it out about a month or so after I got this pc (about 3-4 years ago), and decided I never wanted to do it agian.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Xfire Username
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:45 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

It REALLY does help.
SupaFly

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:50 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

lol, youre the reason this thread title is in caps, seriously dude, take the time, youll thank me when your shit doesnt overheat & u dont end up replacing all kinds of parts (vid cards & hard drives are the first to go due to heat)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Computer Tech Section All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: