Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
how old were you when..
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jabberwocky
Helmsman
Helmsman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:50 pm 
Post subject: how old were you when..
Top Reply with quote

.. when you decided what you wanted to do with your life? I'm asking because i've been thinking more and more recently about how i can't think of ANYTHING i want to do for a living. Nothing appeals to me. I'm sure i can find something interesting, i just don't want to end up working as a programmer in a cubicle or something boring like that. I'm going to be a junior in high school and i have no goals or ambition.

Hell i don't even have a job or a drivers license (let alone a learners permit, and i turned 16 last september). I'm starting to think i'm heading down the path to being a slacker living in his parents' basement doing nothing with his life but working at the blockbuster down the road.

/rant
ChrisT
John Jameson
<font color=#50C5FF><b>John Jameson</b></font>

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:58 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Laughing don't worry man, I'm at 18 and still don't know. Just get a job someplace and get your temps license. Then go through school, get good grades, I'm serious about that one. My grades hurt me getting in to college. It ended up working out, but who knowes what I soulda done with higher ones. Decide (this year) if you want to go to college, and if so what kind 2/4 year.

Senior year you can figure out where you want to go, and despite what your school tells you, you still have a hella long time to decide what you want to do and be.

I felt the same way as you do when I was your age, and just keep in mind. It all works out.

btw, work hard in school, I know I said it, but just do it, take the advice of a slacker who learned his lesson the hard way.
Brutus
BuffNerd
BuffNerd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:00 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Dude life don't work like that so dont beat yourself up for it. I am 35 in a few days and i STILL do not know what i want to be when I grow up.

I BARELY graduated from highschool, mowed lawns for three years, and dropped out of college twice. I joined the Navy (out of hunger practiclly Wink) and i found out real quick what I did NOT want to do. That's the way life works IMO. You just keep cutting out the crap you don't want. Now I have degrees and shit but still feel like my life is without a guiding light of direction.

Roll with it and enjoy it. If you dont have a job then enjoy not having a job. When you get a job enjoy that - or move on until you find one you do enjoy. When you stop moving on then thats what you should do. Get it? Very Happy
K9 Carlos
Old Fart
Old Fart

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:09 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I knew when I was a junior in high school that i wanted to be a cop. After 10 yeas of being that I knew I wanted to do something else.

SupaFly wrote:
barreling axe is like throwing a hot dog down a hallway these days

Quote:
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.

User-posted image
User-posted image
User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Xfire Username Yahoo Messenger
Cpt. LandLubber
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:58 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

i' turning 18 in Sptember, and I still haven't a clue what to do

(except for reading harry potter on saturday)
SupaFly
Gunner Fan Club President
Gunner Fan Club President

Location: sunnydale mental institution (for the mentally unstable) ((like me)) (((supa)))
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:02 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

no one ever really knows, its just one of those things u gotta find by trial & error...
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:48 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I remember when I was little all of the weird things I wanted to be ... always so obsessive and compulsive, fascinated with technology.

At first I had some bizarre obsession with lawn equipment (sprinklers, lawn mowers). Every time I went to some kids house, I'd try to spark conversation with his dad about what type of lawnmower he had and what he thought of it.

Then at some point I wanted to become a vacuum cleaner repairman. I had all these old vacuum parts or something. I remember I was sneaking around my Aunt's house looking for her vacuum. I finally found the fucking Oreck in the upstairs hall closet. I tried to gank it, but my uncle and cousin caught me and took me away from my beloved Oreck Sad

When my mom remarried and I came here to PA, I played outside a lot more than I used to because I had my brother. We did a lot of awesome stuff outside like play Army and all that good jazz. It was cool, we had this creek and swampy thing next to our house, so we'd go in there with some foam baseball bats and pretend like we were on Dagobah Razz

We'd do all sorts of combat junk, acting out all branches of the military. Sometimes the only white kids in the area who lived down the road would come over and we'd play some army stuff... but they were pretty stupid. One ran out in the road and got hit by a car, but from what I remember ... they were stupid. They'd always tell me to rub dirt in my cuts because it helps, or that we should pretend to fight the "Germans" because they were the best enemy. I argued that it was the infidels, erm, Islamic Militants, but nooooooooo......

Anyway, during my elementary school years, I really wanted to be in the military. I thought it was the coolest thing in the world. Get big bad guns and shoot the fuck out of everyone. Thank god I realize I'm far more timid and soft than that Razz I had a huge obsession with guns at the time. I'd spend hours drawing what I thought would be an awesome gun. Hmmmm, I'll leave out the clip, but I'll add in a flamethrower and grappling hook! It was an odd obsession, which also connected with this obsession I had of drawing cool vehicles. Once in fifth grade, a marine (David Blome, yes, Mark and Andrea's bro Very Happy ) came in and gave a chat to our class. I talked to him for probably five good minutes about what guns he pwnz0red nubs with.

In later elementary school, it really started to click that I was a lot more intelligent then most people (usually humble, but fuck it, this is Wang Chung 101 here!). I remember when I was on the bus heading home, and some girl and I were arguing. She was a friend of mine, and said that because she was a year older than me, but it was funny as hell when I was able to spell "Encyclopedia" and she couldn't. In fourth and fifth grade, I won the school geography bees with little to no studying. I realized I had an obsession with maps. I would never pull out a map and just look at it, but if I came across a map or a globe, I'd gaze at it and analyze every fucking thing. I was unstoppable.

At some point in fifth grade, I found this little book about particle physics for nubs and taught myself the basis of classical and quantum mechanics (that sounds really hefty, but it isn't Razz). Later on in fifth grade when we first had our lessons on Atoms and Molecules, I pretty much owned everyone (Nate, FYI, this is where i learned the shit about benzene rings).

When middle school started, the only thing I was looking forward to was science. I lucked out and got one of the best teacher any kid could ever have. He was a crazy old man by the name of Mr. Seegers. He was known for his unusual reddish-orange hair plugs, unsightly chest hair hanging out his hawaiian shirts, Elton John glasses, odd phrases (such as the semi-homo "Okay people!!! [like Barbrady... lmao]), and nerdiness. But he was the coolest fucking dude ever. He was a giant databank of knowledge. He and I were pretty cool. He helped me get extra books from the library so I could read more bullshit about atoms and fun junk. Unfortunately, he was diagnosed with MS and retired the next year. I believe I saw him recently, though. Hopefully I'll get to see him again and he'll tell some crazy stories.

At this point I thought I REALLY wanted to be a quantum physicsist. At this point I realized I was not only more intelligent, but waaaaaaay fucking wierder than anyone else. Telling kids and adults that I wanted to become a quantum physicsist when I grew up scared the fuck out of them. My fifth grade librarian (when query'd about the location of the quantum mechanics books), exclaimed "What, you planning to build nuclear bombs? <nervous laughter>" ... I hope they fired her ass...

Seventh grade I dug deeper into quantum phyiscs, but with the internet becoming a big part of my life now that I had my own comp (weeeee dell!), I was able to research bizarre things. Ever since around seventh grade, I've had a bizarre obsession with .... bizarre sports. You know, the real crazy foreign shit. Jai-Alai, Cricket, Rugby, Bouzkashi (afghan sport involving goat carcass carrying .. i suppose a dead cat and go carts might work here), Curling, all that weird shit. In seventh grade I told everyone I was going to become a professional cricket player and a quantum mechanist at the same time. That REALLY freaked people out ... even teachers. I had a small quarter-semester class about CAREEER PATHWAYS or some shit, and I picked those two as my future careers of preference.

Eighth grade continued that quantum physics trend, but I was upset with the lack of books about the subject at our school, and my english teacher HATED me using them for book reports. She'd get so confused and shit. She'd complain that citing big words was not acceptable and gave her a headache ... I told her it was the hairspray, but noooooooo. Interestingly enough, over the past few years I had developed a severe migrane problem. I still have it.

Ninth grade rolled around, and you know, first year of high school, and all the guidance counselors and parents are in my face saying "OMG WTF DO U WANT 2 DO WIF UR LIFE! OMG THERE ARE SO MANY CHOICES BUT U NEED TO CHOOSE QUICK IN ORDER TO GO TO THE RIGHT COLLEGE!!!!111111one!!!11one"

....... right. Wayyyyyyyy to be conformist. All those standardized career tests told me to go plow snow or suck cock for a living... whatever. I really didn't know what the fuck I wanted to do at the beginning of high school. After realizing that I was only ONE level advanced in mathematics (as opposed to two or three :-/), I wasn't going to be capable of doing quantum physics. Though, I am gonna take AP Physics my senior year and I've jumped a level of math next year as well Very Happy

At that time, the most experience I had with comps was Windows ME, hardcore gaming, RAM and Video Card upgrades ... and that's about it. At the beginning of 10th grade (last year), Nate and I took a basic primer course in A+ computer tech certification. Although we really didn't learn anything all too important, it really pointed out to me how much I naturally knew about computers for someone my age AND that comp sci was a good field for me. Though Nate has told me he wasn't too keen on the hardware shit, I stuck with it. Our teacher Mr. Jones is like the l33test d00d ever, and I earned half a credit for fixing comps instead of having a study hall. Pretty l33t, eh?

Since then, my comp knowledge grows in what seems like an exponential manner every day. I think that a comp technician would be an awesome job for me, because I love comps and everything about them. I spend so much time with them... people tell me I just have a certain "touch" with them. It feels good hearing that. More on that later.

I suppose I'd like to be a doctor because I like helping people, but injuries and shit freak me out. Comp tech is nice, because I don't cringe when I see a toasted PCB or something Smile Being a writer would be cool, but I get a lot of writers block and only write well in a groove. Maybe I could try something totally random though, like others have said. Maybe I could wear some Corbin-Pants and become a hairstylist! I'd get all the ladies (like 10x more then sprite) and they'd all have good hair! Holy shit I am tired...

I've had a lot of discussions with Nate about this. I know he has lots of l33t skillz in many areas, he just doesn't have a lot of work ethic + determination, but I don't blame him because I don't either.

Nate, life is as long as you make it. You can live with your parents for another five, six, years or so working down the road at blockbuster and then figure out what you want to do. I know you, you'll find something that you'll pwn at and you will get there.

All I can do now is finish up with a quote. And I quote Thruston Howell III:

"Gilligan my boy, you must understand, I've never worked a day in my life! I just do what I love."
Brutus
BuffNerd
BuffNerd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:14 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

WOW that's a post! I am humbled... Wink Good too. Very Happy You know, I cant even remember what I wanted to be (or hould be) when that age. A motorcycle mechanic or hunting guide probably. Good thing you didnt follow your career guide. Wink Shocked I took those tests too - I should have been in the military, design weapons, or teach retarded kids. WTF? I NEVER considered engineering as a possibilty and teaching retarded kids? Huh, how did it spit that out??? Well I did service, and weapon systems are cool too but not the shining star I had hoped for either. Hmm... Guess i need to find a retarded kid as I only got one one perfect job option left. Very Happy
DarkCloud
Old Fart's Cabin Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:53 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Im in the same position as you jabber, I have no idea what I wanna do either, guess I'll drag out my education for as long as possible before I decide lol, university would be great fun, alcohol, drugs, girls, all I want heh. Nothing really appeals to me either, but im not majorly bothered by what I end up doing, I don't care if I end up being fucking rich or piss poor, I just wanna be happy and enjoy life. I thought about joining the army or navy, Im really interested in the military and military history, stuff like that, and I want to travel and see places and I don't have the money so I can do it at the taxpayer's expense Very Happy So, I guess thats what I'd like to do as a career, but im kinda flat footed so im not so sure I'll get into either, so now im back to square one again Sad Meh... just take life 1 day at a time and see what happens, thats what im doing =P
GotMilk?
Shaniqua

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:57 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

A couple of years ago, I had known that I wanted to go into music. (Wasn't really sure though, as long as it was music). And over those couple of years, I had done college level music theory (at age 14),8 years of piano, 4 years of being first chair precussionist in the local symphony, and 5 years of anyother bluegrass stringed instrument. (guitar, mandolin, teh fiddle, upright bass).

And just recently, basically in the past year, have I really realized what I wanted to do. I plan on majoring in music theory, minoring in teaching. That way, not only can I teach music theory, but I could get side money for teaching an instrument.

Still trying to decide what college I want to go to. I've thought about just going to UTC which is about 30-40 minutes away from my house, and I know like half of the staff there. But hell, I still have like 2-3 years to decide on that.

But anyways, ^ thats my plan for right now. It could/probably change in the next couple of years, but it's nice to think "Omg I'm 16 and I know what I'm going to do for the rest of my life".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Xfire Username
DarkCloud
Old Fart's Cabin Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:03 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Wow, you can play a lot of stuff Very Happy double bass : P I play electric bass, only for like a year though, but I'd love to play in a band as a living, if I got maybe I'd do that for a career Very Happy
K9 Carlos
Old Fart
Old Fart

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:17 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

We could start a CT band. Dark Cloud and Milk the players and Gunner's bird the lead singer.

SupaFly wrote:
barreling axe is like throwing a hot dog down a hallway these days

Quote:
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.

User-posted image
User-posted image
User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Xfire Username Yahoo Messenger
Cpt. LandLubber
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:14 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

God, Wang. That post made me depressed. Because I recognize so much of myself in there. In elementary school I was like a great prodigy. In first grade I took an IQ test that showed 130-something, and I could skip two years of school if I wanted, which I didn't. I would correct teachers and use obscure words that no one knew, and just breeze through the first ten years of school without opening a book. But I've gotten stupider over the years Sad
I'm still quite a bit better than average, and I won the school trivia contest. But no one can see me as a brain surgeon when I grow up anymore Sad

It's computers. They rot your brain Sad
The Angel of Death
Tater Sally
Tater Sally

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:54 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Wang he asked for what you wanted to be, not your fucking life story....shit dude Laughing

Anyway, Jabber dont worry about anything dude. You're only 16, I'm 18 and I still dont have a job, or do I know how to fully drive a car. Like everyone else has said, just make sure you get good grades. I dropped out of high school my freshman year, thank god though I found this kick ass alternative school to go to. But that could of really sucked if I didnt get back into school. Keep in mind you really dont even have to figure out what you want to be until your 2 year of college. My GF is about to start her second year of college, and just this morning she told me she wanted to be a librarian, after about a year of saying she was going to be a journalist. I mean seriously WTF? When you really think about it no one really knows. Shit, I wanna be teacher, I have since I was probabaly in 3rd grade. The problem I have is that my face is all pierced up, and what kinda school will hire a teacher like that? I've always told myself I would take em out by the time I would become a teacher, but ive grown so attached to em that I wonder if i'll be able too. So thats also led me to think that maybe I should become piercer instead. So no one really knows what they want to do, untill maybe they get into a job, and even still they sometimes dont know. The best thing to do Jabber, is to just enjoy life while yur young, and to now stress over to much stuff.
Wang Chung wrote:
omg CT totally rules pirates
Special Jimmy
Neo-Kaufmanist
Neo-Kaufmanist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:35 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Well hell, mike. You make Jimmy feel really dumb...although Orange cones on the side of the road make me feel dumb too...

When I was Little I always wanted to be either batman or an artist. So being that I couldnt find a way to kill batman I decided it was my destiny to become a l337 artist. I used to draw little comic books ALL the time with my friend, you couldn't stop me. Then as I got a little bit older a thought crossed my mind "Man, you really suck at this drawing stuff".

So, I moved onto my new passion. animals. For a long time I wanted to be a veterinarian, hell that would still be l337. I lost complete interest in that about two or three years ago when I stopped writing and reading for school and stuff and started doing it for recreation. Throughout my years of school my teachers have told me I'm a good writer, but I always ignored them because they are the same people that gave the kid who ate paste a golden star.

So after being homeschooled for about two years(long story) I got into the high school my brother went to. Again teachers who I didn't even have classes with told me I was a good writer. So, as of now I'd like to become some kind of writer. I was in a job class for one term, where the teacher nagged me about doing something "involving family" because I'm a nice person, he'd say, I should be doing something like helping people. Well screw him.
Wang Chung wrote:
MikeSty 22: they say Rome wasn't built in a day
MikeSty 22: but they never had the Fucking Cut Throats
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: