Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
War of the worlds, Opinion? (Try not to spoil)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> TV, Music and Movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris-p-bacon
Deckswab
Deckswab

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:05 pm 
Post subject: War of the worlds, Opinion? (Try not to spoil)
Top Reply with quote

Well i'm gonna say my thoughts for those who have seen it, for those who HAVN'T seen it yet, i'm sorry if theres a few spoilers.

Well 1st of all, I heard the orriginal story that was played on the radio back in the 40's, and i can understand why people started freeking out. I also saw about 7/8ths of the orriginal movie, and that alone was scary because it was suspensful, you were afraid to find out what would happen, but you wanted to know... I am a man, i don't cry, or Get scared in movies. I cried during the patriot and We were soldiers, thats about it. (Funny how mel gibson was the main character in both of those, eh?) But it's not easy to scare me, I am VERY supersticious however, so beleivable ghost stories freek me out. But I must tell each and every one of you reading this, This movie REALLY freeked me out because it seemed beleivable, like IT COULD happen sometime. The storyline in general got me hooked right away, because lightning DOESN'T strike in the same place once, and it did 26 times, that alone freeked me out, and that's what started it out. (small spoiler incoming) The guy that was in the storm cellar stated something that had become known in the movie, and it really really scared me. He said "They buried those tripods under OUR ground before we humans were even around, they've been planning this for a million years" That statement, got me extremely paranoid, and THAT'S when i got really scared, the feeling when you're so scared you just can't stop thinking about it and your eyes start to tear up, that's hw i got, lol. Anyway (another small apoiler) The way robbie acted was the way i think of myself acting, except deffinitely not as brave, if tom cruise told me i didn't have to fight, and that he loved me (father son, lol) i would stay, but I am distracted by any ammount of Military action, so i would have wanted to help but i wouldn't jump into enemy lines just to be evaporated my an alien beam. I nearly burst out in Tears at the end, If you wanna know what happens to Cruise, his daughter and his son, you'll have to watch it, i've spoiled enough. Anyway, if you have any connection to war of the worlds (Old radio broadcast, classic movie) This is the forum for you to let out your feelings.

-=|CT|=- Chris-p-Bacon
RCSI
The YARR Master
The YARR Master

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:35 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

arrr we have a moive, book, tv show section

but i will have to agree

it was really intense, while the ending with the son was meh, the way Steven used the special effects was like nothing else
and the action scense too between all the riots and crowds where you have to survive in a chaotic world
Bunny
Chips' Wench

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:25 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I'm a bit confused on the storyline...is it like other nations suppose to be attacking America or what? Confused
CountChocula
Warning- may cause CountChoculitis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:26 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

it's like other PLANETS attacking Earth, it's "War of the Worlds"
[20:43] -≠∫ĆŤ∫≠- ŜρξčļαГ јỈмMﻻ: we'll aim for bender
[20:43] -≠∫ĆŤ∫≠- ŜρξčļαГ јỈмMﻻ: but use a lot of napalm
Bunny
Chips' Wench

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:29 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I know whats its called Count Razz I was just confused on whos attacking who..thanks though. Rolling Eyes Razz
DarkCloud
Old Fart's Cabin Boy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:20 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Meh... it was alrite, I don't think it lived up to the hype at all, but not a bad movie. Some of it seemed a little dumb and laughable. I thought the sfx were excellent though =D
Stealth
▲RAWR TRIANGLE RAWR▲

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:25 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

War of the Worlds was indeed a Radio Broadcast that was supposed to be an actual skit perform by various members. Unfortunately, people were not used to these things so when they came on to the radio to listen, after the broadcast stating that it was all fake, they thought the world was going to end since they were being attacked by aliens. This shows how radio can be a HUGE impact on society.

It was written by Howard Koch and it was on the radio in 1938.

EDIT: I took the time to finding the original script of it and here it is. http://members.aol.com/jeff1070/script.html

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CountChocula

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:44 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I liked this movie, I went and saw it with a bunch of friends, it was pretty good, the best part is when they were in the basement with the crazy guy, and the only reason that was the best is because the 2 chicks that went with all of us to go see it were absolutely FREAKING OUT the whole time when they were down there, you know, they were laughing a ridiculously nervous laugh the whole time, it was GREAT! Very Happy

ending sucked, IMO though, doesn't resolve the whole thing enough
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:20 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Tell me about the ending! I never finished the booK!!!
DarkCloud
Old Fart's Cabin Boy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:11 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Its a clever ending, it makes a good point but your right, it doesn't finish things off properly, it seems a little random, the aliens just... die.
Chris-p-bacon
Deckswab
Deckswab

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:48 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I thought the ending made sence, this is the tom Cruise ending, Nature on earth actually won the battle for us because of the fact the Aliens came uneducated about our natural everyday atmosphere, notice in the boat scene where a large swarm of birds fly towards the machines? Earth natural inhabitants fought the battle where Human technology cannot, where nature and Humanity finally bonds... it all makes sence! EVERYONE STOP HUNTING! lol PROTECT OUR OZONE!

-=|CT|=- Chris-p-Bacon
CountChocula

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:24 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

yes, I know it made sense, I mean, it didn't resolve anything.. I mean, it's all like, oh, we killed the one in Boston, but what about anything else?! are we supposed to think, oh, so germs will kill 'em all eventually? crap I say, CRAP ENDING!!!!
Rally Monkey
So if you could just restore that rank..

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:40 pm 
Post subject: Re: War of the worlds, Opinion? (Try not to spoil)
Top Reply with quote

Chris-p-bacon wrote:
Well i'm gonna say my thoughts for those who have seen it, for those who HAVN'T seen it yet, i'm sorry if theres a few spoilers.

Well 1st of all, I heard the orriginal story that was played on the radio back in the 40's, and i can understand why people started freeking out. I also saw about 7/8ths of the orriginal movie, and that alone was scary because it was suspensful, you were afraid to find out what would happen, but you wanted to know... I am a man, i don't cry, or Get scared in movies. I cried during the patriot and We were soldiers, thats about it. (Funny how mel gibson was the main character in both of those, eh?) But it's not easy to scare me, I am VERY supersticious however, so beleivable ghost stories freek me out. But I must tell each and every one of you reading this, This movie REALLY freeked me out because it seemed beleivable, like IT COULD happen sometime. The storyline in general got me hooked right away, because lightning DOESN'T strike in the same place once, and it did 26 times, that alone freeked me out, and that's what started it out. (small spoiler incoming) The guy that was in the storm cellar stated something that had become known in the movie, and it really really scared me. He said "They buried those tripods under OUR ground before we humans were even around, they've been planning this for a million years" That statement, got me extremely paranoid, and THAT'S when i got really scared, the feeling when you're so scared you just can't stop thinking about it and your eyes start to tear up, that's hw i got, lol. Anyway (another small apoiler) The way robbie acted was the way i think of myself acting, except deffinitely not as brave, if tom cruise told me i didn't have to fight, and that he loved me (father son, lol) i would stay, but I am distracted by any ammount of Military action, so i would have wanted to help but i wouldn't jump into enemy lines just to be evaporated my an alien beam. I nearly burst out in Tears at the end, If you wanna know what happens to Cruise, his daughter and his son, you'll have to watch it, i've spoiled enough. Anyway, if you have any connection to war of the worlds (Old radio broadcast, classic movie) This is the forum for you to let out your feelings.

Your response illustrates a desparate need for pyscho-therapy. LOL Just Kidding, I saw it and loved and am going to see it again...
Rally Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:43 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Bunny wrote:
I'm a bit confused on the storyline...is it like other nations suppose to be attacking America or what? Confused
BUNNY!!!! What movie did you go see? LOL did you sleep through part where the ALIENS go exploring in the house where Tom Cruise, his daughter and Tim Robbins are hiding?

Last edited by Rally Monkey on Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rally Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:57 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

DarkCloud wrote:
Its a clever ending, it makes a good point but your right, it doesn't finish things off properly, it seems a little random, the aliens just... die.

NOTE DO READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW THE ENDING!!!

LOL of course the Aliens don't JUST die. Wow, peeps inability in this thread to follow a story-line is sorta funny. The Aliens died because even though they had been planning this war for a million years, they never counted on the genetic change the took place and tolerances been had built-up by the organisms that inhabited the Earth. So when they came down to attack and use humans as food/energy source for their vehicles that same food/energy source had new and different microbes in it. Morgan Freeman discusses this in his naration at the end of the movie, it's also the reason for the close-up in the beginning of the movie of the all the microbes in the drop off of water on leaf. Spielberg goes full circle by starting and ending with the same concept, it's just that at the start of the flick he doesn't point to the microbes in the water and say, "Here's how the aliens are going to die".
Anyone who saw the orginal movie, heard the radio broadcast, read the book knows that Steven went back to the source (the book) and updated it with modern technology (not Mars but some other planet along with current day army/weapons). The genius of Spielberg is that everything you see in the movie, you see from Tom Cruise's perspective, if Tom doesn't see it neither do you. This adds suspense and uncertainty. This movie rocked except for the cheesy ending with Tom's son who should have been nuked....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> TV, Music and Movies All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: