Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
hppy 4-20
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cap'n Crunch
Illiterate Suicide Boy
<font color=orange><b>Illiterate Suicide Boy</b></font>

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:30 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Catholic high school here :>

I'm not totally sure, but most religious universities will require at least one theology course. You can probably take a lot more, but most people that would take a lot end up in the seminary (like a priest school, with sodomy courses and stuff). They definately teach evolution and I doubt they try and cram their beliefs down your throat every chance they get.

ALLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH

-≠∫ĆŤ∫≠-�μ�ąҒ��: lets go snort some cock

User-posted image
User-posted image
AxeBlind
Old Fart's Cabin Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:07 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Ok as far as Baylor....

Everyone has to take 2 chapels and 2 religion classes, but after that you are done unless a theology student. The science is taught like science, God isn't mentioned unless the professor is a Christian and says something. But sciences, etc are handled the same as I would expect every university to handle them. We even have a couple Jewish profs here, one who taught my anthro class which kicked all ass.

The religion is always in the background, especially on rules and regulations, but it doesn't ever interfere with the actual teachings.

In the Anthro class, we learned about evolution, and how in actuality the real theory can coexist with Christian and Jewish ideas. I have actually gotten more liberal since coming here, though alot of that has to do with 75% of the campus being Bible thumping crazies.
CountChocula
Warning- may cause CountChoculitis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:10 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

AxeBlind wrote:
75% of the campus being Bible thumping crazies.

wow, I feel a good ol' fashioned witch hunt coming on if they find out you play a VIDEO GAME with us other HEATHENS where you play as UNDEAD SKELETON PIRATES and one of the HEATHENS here loves SODOMY
Stealth
▲RAWR TRIANGLE RAWR▲

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:13 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

xD

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cap'n Crunch
Illiterate Suicide Boy
<font color=orange><b>Illiterate Suicide Boy</b></font>

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:48 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

CountChocula wrote:
one of the HEATHENS here loves SODOMY

Hell, they'll just ask to meet me. Sodomy is as Christian as priests! (OK, well just Catholic... but we're the largest denomination)

-≠∫ĆŤ∫≠-�μ�ąҒ��: lets go snort some cock

User-posted image
User-posted image
ChrisT
John Jameson
<font color=#50C5FF><b>John Jameson</b></font>

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:01 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Yea that's one thing I despise about college. Everyone who has a cause comes out to preach.

This is a really controversial subject, so lets not discuss it just what they were doing...........

Ok so I am walking to class early in the semester crossing the road by the dorms, it's like 8 am (which may not seem early to you know but it is as early as classes statr on campus. Most ppl arn't up till 9 or 10) Anyway i am sleapy as shit and I look up and there is a large white short version of a tractor trailor. On the side is a picture of an aborted fetus. It takes up the whole entire side of the truck. I am like wtf and that just ruined my morning....

So I pick up a newspaper and aparrently a group of anti-abortion people have rented out like 8 trucks and painted all of the most disturbing pictures you could possibly see, on all sides of the truck. The trucks were paid to drive around the roads that weave through our campus all day, this happens for the better part of a week.

Later on they set up an information center right near the classroom building (the main one and usually most of the classes are held their for freshmen/sophmores) The thing is huge and they have grotesque pictures all around every side of the center, and there is no way you cannot get a glimpse of at least one on your daily walk to class, or eat.

Personally I don't mind people expressing their opinions and handing things out, but most go too far.

All I got to say is be prepared to be bombarded by people with views they think you should share, and keep in mind that if you do join a group on campuses realize noone wants you to get in their face.

~ sorry had to get that off my chest, it pisses me off a lot, not that they have their views but the way they go about expressing them, a lot like the soldier haters shoe's posted about. I don't mind if people express their opinion, as long as it is in the appropriate manner. Seeing bloody dead fetuses on my way to eat was not top of my list.

~~ I really wen't off on a tangent their xP
Erwin Rommel
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:04 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

First of all, I go to Seattle Pacific University.

Slaughter wrote:
Is it required to take religuos courses, or instead of teaching evolution they teach _____ depending on religion.

Since I haven't taken biology, anthropology etc, I really can't say. However, judging by my experience, it would be presented when it is necessary for the course.

Slaughter wrote:
As far as a math major goes do you take religious courses, or are they electives?

I'm in a program called University Scholars. It is a progression of classes that study the history of Western ideas and then try to unify it with a Christian worldview. Religion is certainly discussed here, but it is always rooted in the role it played.

Some theology courses are required (currently I'm in a Scriptures class), but they are really more about honest education and discussion than simple Bible-thumping.

It's not a Bible College by any means. We make sure to focus on tough passages (think Joshua 6:21 [feel free to look it up]), instead of just glossing over them.

Slaughter wrote:
Are you religious?

What day of the week is it? Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Erwin Rommel on Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Erwin Rommel
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:06 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Slaughter wrote:
Yea that's one thing I despise about college. Everyone who has a cause comes out to preach.

This is a really controversial subject, so lets not discuss it just what they were doing...........

Ok so I am walking to class early in the semester crossing the road by the dorms, it's like 8 am (which may not seem early to you know but it is as early as classes statr on campus. Most ppl arn't up till 9 or 10) Anyway i am sleapy as shit and I look up and there is a large white short version of a tractor trailor. On the side is a picture of an aborted fetus. It takes up the whole entire side of the truck. I am like wtf and that just ruined my morning....

So I pick up a newspaper and aparrently a group of anti-abortion people have rented out like 8 trucks and painted all of the most disturbing pictures you could possibly see, on all sides of the truck. The trucks were paid to drive around the roads that weave through our campus all day, this happens for the better part of a week.

Later on they set up an information center right near the classroom building (the main one and usually most of the classes are held their for freshmen/sophmores) The thing is huge and they have grotesque pictures all around every side of the center, and there is no way you cannot get a glimpse of at least one on your daily walk to class, or eat.

Personally I don't mind people expressing their opinions and handing things out, but most go too far.

All I got to say is be prepared to be bombarded by people with views they think you should share, and keep in mind that if you do join a group on campuses realize noone wants you to get in their face.

~ sorry had to get that off my chest, it pisses me off a lot, not that they have their views but the way they go about expressing them, a lot like the soldier haters shoe's posted about. I don't mind if people express their opinion, as long as it is in the appropriate manner. Seeing bloody dead fetuses on my way to eat was not top of my list.

~~ I really wen't off on a tangent their xP

Religious or not, there are people like that everywhere. I'm not sure whether to find that comforting or disturbing...

Oh and 8 AM qualifies as early ... my first class is at 10 Razz
Cpt. LandLubber
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:55 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

CountChocula wrote:
and one of the HEATHENS here loves SODOMY

Just one? Razz

Happy earth day!
AxeBlind
Old Fart's Cabin Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:51 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Yep Rommel covered what I missed about Christian Universities, the religion doesn't get in the way of education for the most part. And while my campus is fairly religious, it is mainly the students that make it overbearing. I mean why come and knock on my door to ask if I knew Jesus? Even if I didn't believe like I did, I do go to a Baptist school, I know of him certainly. I mean nothing they could say would sway me either way. They should go ask people who don't get bombarded by that stuff every day, people in other countries or maybe in the opor parts of town.

Oh and we had some anti-abortion guys here too, they put 10,000 little flags in a grassy spot to demonstrate some number of babies aborted.
JaFaR
Sailor
Sailor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:12 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

One of these days, when I'm off in college and those anti-abortion folks push me overboard with those disturbing pictures, I'll organize an anti-anti-abortion movement that shows pictures of teenage girls living in desperate poverty with a few bone-starving kids, captioned "she just couldn't bear ending them when she first had the chance." Or something.

Think me a evil bastard, but I think the argument against abortion is fundamentally flawed, because it doesn't consider what happens when it DOESN'T happen. For the sake of keeping a firefight from precipitating, I'll wait for a more permissible to discuss the details of my viewpoint.
Erwin Rommel
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:27 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Good idea

We wouldn't want this surprisingly peaceful discussion of Christian universities (which spawned from a discussion of 4-20 wtf) to turn into a flamewar.
2shoes
1337 CT badass bow
1337 CT badass bow

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:20 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

i would have asked him "which of these flags are you?"

...if pirates stays on bf1942 i'd hate to see the community grow even smaller, but i know i'll always be around and i hope the rest of you will too!

Special Jimmy wrote:
This mod is rightfully ours, and fuck everyone that stands in our way.

fair winds and following seas, lil shoes 8/3/94-6/23/09
ChrisT
John Jameson
<font color=#50C5FF><b>John Jameson</b></font>

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:18 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

AxeBlind wrote:
Yep Rommel covered what I missed about Christian Universities, the religion doesn't get in the way of education for the most part. And while my campus is fairly religious, it is mainly the students that make it overbearing. I mean why come and knock on my door to ask if I knew Jesus? Even if I didn't believe like I did, I do go to a Baptist school, I know of him certainly. I mean nothing they could say would sway me either way. They should go ask people who don't get bombarded by that stuff every day, people in other countries or maybe in the opor parts of town.

Oh and we had some anti-abortion guys here too, they put 10,000 little flags in a grassy spot to demonstrate some number of babies aborted.

yea, after the pictures and discussion center, they put up flags in 3 seperate areas of campus. Then later on it was teeny white crosses, they just won't stop.
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:36 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

2shoes wrote:
i would have asked him "which of these flags are you?"

LOL!!!!!!!!

Ah, more discussion on this tomorrow...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: