Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
The fix may be here! (READ before voting please)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Team Fortress 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Arch fix:
Option 1: The no engie jump
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Option 2: The way it is.
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
Option 3: Whole new map
80%
 80%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 10

Eugene
Sleepuls

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:25 am 
Post subject: The fix may be here! (READ before voting please)
Top Reply with quote

Allright so after doing some searching I have decided that there are 3 options for us to fix the sentry (OMG ANOTHER THREAD STFU ALREADY)

1. The no engie jump: Basically we make it so that engies can't wrangler jump. Period. This really hurts some strategies and will most likely stop Junk and possibly others from playing on our server. If you have questions ask Junk on why jumping is so important/awesome.

2. The way it is: Just leave it how it is, lets bother the admins so they can do it. Despite having so many admins we usually seem to have people still needing an admin on to do something. Sure there are times when abunch are on, but also there are times when all the admins aren't playing and/or lobbying. I heavily advise against this option, also for the record at the moment a remote admin is not possible, and if it were it would be MONTHS in the future.

3. Putting on a whole new map: All we do is make it so you can't build on the arch, otherwise everything remains unchanged. The problem is that:
i. People have to re-download
ii. We don't appear with Egypt servers which could kill traffic.

I hope this to be the very last time we even talk about the arch-sentry. Let the community decide.
backflipjoints
Sailor
Sailor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:10 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

none of those options are any good
Eugene
Sleepuls

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:41 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

backflipjoints wrote:
none of those options are any good

They are kind of the only options we have at the moment...
junkyard
Sailor
Sailor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:25 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I'd say #3 is closer to an ideal solution than the others. We can always figure out something else if server activity tanks, which I really doubt. Calling the map cp_Egypt_fixed will still have it show up in the server browser if you search for Egypt.
Insomniac
Sailor
Sailor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:51 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

junkyard wrote:
I'd say #3 is closer to an ideal solution than the others. We can always figure out something else if server activity tanks, which I really doubt. Calling the map cp_Egypt_fixed will still have it show up in the server browser if you search for Egypt.

^This.
Messy Recipe
El Gran Capitán
<b>El Gran Capitán</b>

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:36 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I vote option 4: a custom plugin that will destroy buildings at certain coordinates
Eugene
Sleepuls

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:39 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Messy Recipe wrote:
I vote option 4: a custom plugin that will destroy buildings at certain coordinates

Dude, if we can find/write that I would be down for it.
atatme
Atatame Who?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:04 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Option 3 unless USAF's idea works
anonymousity
Stealth's Wench
Stealth's Wench

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:56 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure if we make a custom map it will eliminate our ability to have people join the server through auto-join, which basically kills our server's ability to get going without 10+ regulars at a time. Let's avoid that one.

I will send some emails and see if there isn't a better option right now that doesn't have us either sacrificing a feature of the game or the activity of our server.
Eugene
Sleepuls

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:26 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

anonymousity wrote:
I'm pretty sure if we make a custom map it will eliminate our ability to have people join the server through auto-join, which basically kills our server's ability to get going without 10+ regulars at a time. Let's avoid that one.

I will send some emails and see if there isn't a better option right now that doesn't have us either sacrificing a feature of the game or the activity of our server.

I had Docs get in contact with AO, who used a plugin to alter build cites, but the plugin doesn't work anymore. Something like that or what Messy suggested would be ideal.
Vlad Piranha
Dictator-Elect
Dictator-Elect

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:01 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

There's a fourth option that's a minor nuisance and will take some research to do, but won't be intrusive in the slightest while in-game.

I could always find a way to model a box with a transparent texture on it, give it collision and mount it at that specific point in the map to keep people from being able to get up there, sort of like the invisible walls that serve as map boundaries. People will need to download the model before they play on the server, but since it would have no real textures to speak of and consist of only four polygons, it would happen so quickly that I can't imagine anyone would even notice.
junkyard
Sailor
Sailor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:27 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Vlad Piranha wrote:
There's a fourth option that's a minor nuisance and will take some research to do, but won't be intrusive in the slightest while in-game.

I could always find a way to model a box with a transparent texture on it, give it collision and mount it at that specific point in the map to keep people from being able to get up there, sort of like the invisible walls that serve as map boundaries. People will need to download the model before they play on the server, but since it would have no real textures to speak of and consist of only four polygons, it would happen so quickly that I can't imagine anyone would even notice.

That is option 3. Said poly would require the map be named differently, as it would be included in the map file. The different name would make it harder for brand new/lazy players to find us, as the different map name would exclude the server from the quick play list. That is the issue at hand against option 3.
Messy Recipe
El Gran Capitán
<b>El Gran Capitán</b>

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:29 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

The issue with invisible walls is that they also prevent soldiers and demos from rocket and sticky jumping up there, which is an entirely normal part of the game.

I think Sourcemod should be able to do a targeted building-delete. We already know from sm_destroy command that it can blow up or vanish buildings -- and I'm pretty sure it can check coordinates on things. All it'd have to do is be able to check new buildings for their location and check if they're between two values each for X,Y,Z where those values define a box, and if so, destroy them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Team Fortress 2 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: