Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
SC II
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Aladdin's Castle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anonymousity
Stealth's Wench
Stealth's Wench

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:23 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I hate dota too but the vast majority of those games were insanely fun and prolonged the life of wc3 to about twice what it would have been, without b.net and the custom games.

Dota style games have their appeal. I know people who were able to crack the learning curve and had a shit ton of fun with it. It's just not everyone's cup of tea.
Stealth
▲RAWR TRIANGLE RAWR▲

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:48 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Add meh muthafuckaz

RealID: ctstealth@yahoo.com

If you're ever on, you'll most likely find me on.

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RaidJTC
Sailor
Sailor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:54 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Yeah, I wanted to play single player really bad so my friend lent me his disk saying "Oh, you only need the key for multiplayer." Ugh, I understand the fact that you don't want people to steal your game but seriously, why make a game where it will literally taunt you by letting you install it, bring you to the menu screen, let you make an account on their system, only to give you the double bird and shit in your face? Whatever, I guess I'd wait a month or so for a real strategy game to come out. :cough: Civ V :cough:
anonymousity
Stealth's Wench
Stealth's Wench

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:06 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I will be right the fuck there with you when Civ comes out. Starcraft might be real-time strategy, but Civ is straight strategy.
SupaFly
Gunner Fan Club President
Gunner Fan Club President

Location: sunnydale mental institution (for the mentally unstable) ((like me)) (((supa)))
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:59 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Stealth wrote:
Add meh muthafuckaz

RealID: ctstealth@yahoo.com

If you're ever on, you'll most likely find me on.

I can vouch for stealth pretty much always being on realid

ctsupafly@gmail.com is me... i dont have sc2, but anytime im on wow ill be on realid
Hirmuinen
CT Certified Sales Rep.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:48 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

atatme wrote:
The only early terran strats that work is marine rush can kill other terrans, reaper rush can kill protoss, bunker rush can kill anyone who wastes time. The TvP matchup is normally very good for the terran, since a ghost rapes all protoss units with EMP. Id say your best bet is to rush reapers and harass him until he gets enough striders to fight you off, then just mass marines and marauders with all their upgrades and when you have about 3 medivacs full of them drop them off in the back of his base. You will probably win unless you are slow as fuck or if he gets high templar. If he gets high templar then its because he knows what your doing, so make sure he doesnt sneak an observer in your base. Maybe get a ghost just in case he does HT so you can headshot it and be done with it. Plus EMP is hugely helpful always vs protoss

-no longer against protoss-

So I have finally bought this game and only strategy, more like tactic, is to spam marines with 3 barracks and I have a good chance to win. It feels like I don't have time for anything else. No matter how fast I try to build anything else I get rushed and lose or I win because I can mass produce those marines. Some games I have done perfectly creating the units to completely counter enemy troops, but failed because I coudn't produce them fast enough(only had ground shooting troops, so I created helos as fast as I could).

I'm trying to learn to play this, but second impression is that it's so much inferior to any modern RTS(CoH, DoW2, Wargame European Escalation ect.). Sure there are some flaws in other RTSs I mentioned, but you can still win a game with superior care and strategy at the end of the match, which seems impossible in SC2. It's more like base building game, everything has to do with your base building and you keep doing that the most of the match, everytime with endless repeat.

Any beginner tips? How can I truly stop the early rush as terran, I build two food posts and one barrack in the middle at the entrance of the spawn.
massive
Captain Ass Kicking Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:04 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

food posts - lol

I build some of everything, group em
Hirmuinen
CT Certified Sales Rep.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:41 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

massive wrote:
food posts - lol

I build some of everything, group em

Whenever I try to do something else I get destroyed. I need to learn some of those key combinations for the basic stuff.
Eugene
Sleepuls

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:03 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Can you post some replays, and your league? It can give me a better idea on how to help you.

Here are some good resources if you want to learn to play better:
http://day9.tv/
http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Terran_Strategy

As to the questions you asked:

In starcraft 2 you need speed and strategy, and how you build your base is important. Its very common for people to block off their ramps, with your 2x supply depot and 1x barracks build. if you want a really simple Build Order try this:
(the numbers represent your supply)

10 supply depot
12 Barracks
14 Supply Depot
15/16 Orbital Command and then a gas
---At this point your barracks is finished, and you want to produce 4x marines and then a tech lab

Now at this point the build breaks off into what you may feel more comfortable with.
You can either expand and then build 2 barracks
-or-
build 2 more barracks and expand a bit later.

Now keep it to 3 unit-producing structures per base.
When your 2nd barracks finishes get your second gas, unless you did a fast expand then get your gas earlier.

Now you basically want to do this:

1 base: 2 barracks with reactors and 1 barrack with tech lab so you will constantly be producing SCVs, 4 marines, 1 Maurader.

2 base: 1 base+Factory with Tech Lab, Starport with reactor, and then whatever else you want.

Early on you can go Marine/Maurader/Medivac with Stimpack upgrade and do generally well just attack-moving.

Any questions just ask here or on steam.
Hirmuinen
CT Certified Sales Rep.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:56 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Well my build order is pretty solid now. Just played against a Terran player and I could easily match everything he threw at me. He coudn't really do anything. I even destroyed his army in the middle of game and I made such a stupid mistake when I didn't just push him at that point.

Then he threw at me those invisible helos and it got to a point when it was just pathetic on my behalf. Really need to learn some of those key combinations like base and that scanner so it's right at my fingers when I need it. Overall I could have easily won that match. It's just impossible to try controlling my troops if I have to go all the way back to my base to use the scanner.

One question however. He kept throwing those nukes at me constantly. Now I thought you could only nuke once and that's it, but he sent like 7 at me.
Eugene
Sleepuls

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:55 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

If he had 7 Ghost Academys he could fire 7 nukes.

As for the banshees, the best you can do is build a missle turret or four at each mineral line. Now for the scan problem, I'm going to tell you a magic timing. At 8 minutes, everything happens. At 8 minutes you can see most pushes happen due to timings such as stimpack, and warpgate finishing. As a result, whenever I play terran I always have enough energy on my CC left over for 2 scans (one on each) AFTER 8 minutes.

Just remember, use control groups (army on 1, bases on 4+), and the hotkey for scan is C, and you can use it with the minimap.

Hope that helps.
Messy Recipe
El Gran Capitán
<b>El Gran Capitán</b>

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:20 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Quote:
Just remember, use control groups (army on 1, bases on 4+), and the hotkey for scan is C, and you can use it with the minimap.

I don't play SCII, but for RTS's in general, I've found that controlling huge swaths of army in combat through a single control group isn't a great idea... better to use several smaller groups so that you can focus fire multiple targets at once.
Eugene
Sleepuls

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:40 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Messy Recipe wrote:
Quote:

I don't play SCII, but for RTS's in general, I've found that controlling huge swaths of army in combat through a single control group isn't a great idea... better to use several smaller groups so that you can focus fire multiple targets at once.

You are correct, but for learning its okay for now.
Berry Punch
Pony HATER

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:12 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I rarely play Melee, I stick to NOTD, UA3, Starbattle, and Smashcraft. But when I do, I play Terran.
Hirmuinen
CT Certified Sales Rep.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:16 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I think you need to build up that blockage to the ramp when you are playing as Terrain against Zerg. I have no problem against other races and don't even use that blockage anymore against terrain or protoss, but Zergs just comes so fast.

My biggest problem currently is that I fail to realize that I need to build more barracks and places at the end game. I have so used to play RTS games where mass production isn't a big deal and resource efficiency is a must. I end up having like 4000-5000 crystals just standing there and having only two barracks and couple of other places. So I lose because I can't rebuild my army fast enough again. Overall my win/lose is pretty 50%, I have managed to suprise my enemy by dropping marines behind his base and countered succesfully an early terrain base flying to your base tactic ect.

Is there a key from which I can chooce non-moving/working SCL or whatever the workers name is?

And what button I need to press to be able to "queque" my buildings, like when I want to build multiple food posts. I managed to do it when I started playing this, but now I can't get it to work anymore.

And how do I assign army groups in this game?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Aladdin's Castle All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: