Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
Astrophysicist Gives us 50/50 Chance of making it to 2100
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How would you like us to die off?
1) Death by Comet
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
2) Self-Replicating Nanobots
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
3) Germ Warfare (or Germ “Accident”)
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
4) Global Warming
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
5) Overpopulation
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
6) Death by Man-Made Black Hole
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
7) Natural Pandemic
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
8) A Robot Take-Over
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
9) Gamma Ray Burst
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
10) Nuclear Holocaust
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 13

massive
Captain Ass Kicking Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:54 pm 
Post subject: Astrophysicist Gives us 50/50 Chance of making it to 2100
Top Reply with quote

Read all about our many paths to ultimate demise here: http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2007/07/sir-martin-rees.html
Messy Recipe
El Gran Capitán
<b>El Gran Capitán</b>

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:59 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

If I had to pick, I'd go with overpopulation because it's a simple matter to solve.
Erwin Rommel
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:20 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Robot take-over, hands down.

I look at it this way - if we created them, they're a product of our intelligence. So what's the big deal? It's like a child taking over for a parent.

Plus, if computers are as smart as humans, we'll be entering technological singularity territory and there wouldn't be such a clean division between biology and technology.
Vlad Piranha
Dictator-Elect
Dictator-Elect

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:42 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I'm offended that a zombie holocaust isn't on the list. It would be terrifying, sure, but it would be pretty sweet if you think about it.
anonymousity
Stealth's Wench
Stealth's Wench

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:19 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I think it's gonna be nukes. I mean, they're there, it's just a matter of time before some of them go off. Unless someone invents the nano-nuke remover, like in Civ 2.
Special Jimmy
Neo-Kaufmanist
Neo-Kaufmanist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:24 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Vlad Piranha wrote:
I'm offended that a zombie holocaust isn't on the list. It would be terrifying, sure, but it would be pretty sweet if you think about it.

Honestly, if I die before I get to kill a zombie any of the ways i've seen in movies (I.E. Baseball bat, chainsaw, axe, shotgun to it's face, a pair of scissors, a car, a pen, a crossbow, gasoline & match) I'll feel just a little bit cheated.

Well, if we're to be exterminated, I'd vote for the most dramatic and outrageous of ways.
Wang Chung wrote:
MikeSty 22: they say Rome wasn't built in a day
MikeSty 22: but they never had the Fucking Cut Throats
RCSI
The YARR Master
The YARR Master

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:20 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Death by black hole sounds like a quick way to die, which is what I prefer but seeing how this scenario is unrealistic I want to go out by a huge comet.
Bunny
Chips' Wench

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:30 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I want to see a black hole right before I die if that's even possible Razz
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:56 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Whatever gives me enough time to get on here to be the last post.

I didn't RTFA but the title of this thread is just absurd.
Stealth
▲RAWR TRIANGLE RAWR▲

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:25 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Well the proposed theory of black holes would mean that it'd actually be a slow death since according to some physicists, the closer you get to the center, the slower time travels. Get near the nearly approaching Zero and time stops. Then the stretching of matter, massive superheating, etc etc.

I'm lame because I'm one of those religious based guys. So none of this really concerns me.

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Messy Recipe
El Gran Capitán
<b>El Gran Capitán</b>

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:31 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

If you're approaching the center of a black hole, time runs slower for you from the perspective of an outside observer. That means if you were watching someone fall into a black hole from a safe location, you would never see them actually make it in before the end of the universe.

From your own perspective, however, time runs normally. So you'd just fall right in at a normal speed. Also, from your perspective, time would run faster for things outside the event horizon, so while you would approach at normal speed, you'd see the outside universe run faster and faster and if you were somehow still alive just before you fall in, you'd see the end of the universe. But you wouldn't be alive because you'd resemble spaghetti by that time thanks to the tidal forces.

It's because a stronger gravity well makes time run slower for things inside it, relative to things outside. But the important bit is that you only notice the "relative" bit -- i.e., you'll never notice time being faster or slower for you, but you will see the difference compared to things elsewhere in the universe. Kinda like how you don't feel the speed at which you're whirling around the sun and the center of the galaxy, but you can see in in relation to everything else.

It's prolly like that because if your own time is running slower than everything else, it means your own perception of time is running slower too, but we can't really measure that so that bit's just a guess.
Stealth
▲RAWR TRIANGLE RAWR▲

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:05 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Well, that pretty much sums it up better than I can remember it, but the whole time thing is a lost concept to me. I can't comprehend why it would appear to be going slow when in fact it's normal, yet everything outside appears fast. Just doesn't make any sense.

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Messy Recipe
El Gran Capitán
<b>El Gran Capitán</b>

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:30 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Well....think of it like being on a train. The speed of the train is the rate at which time is passing. If the train goes faster, then you're going faster compared to everything that is not on the train with you -- so a car following alongside at a constant speed would appear to slow down. That's why speeding up time where you are makes stuff outside look slower, and vice versa.

For actually noticing time slowing down or speeding up, think of what happens if you walk around on the train. No matter how fast or slow the train's going, you still walk at the same speed compared to other stuff also on the train.

In short, the speed of the train, or the rate at which time passes, only makes a noticable difference when you compare it to stuff outside.
Stealth
▲RAWR TRIANGLE RAWR▲

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:10 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

But if we're on the train and say it's speeding up to appear faster, how can an observer on the outside of the train look at us as if we were passing slower at the same time?

User-posted image
Messy Recipe
El Gran Capitán
<b>El Gran Capitán</b>

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:41 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

They couldn't -- the train example was more the opposite -- i.e. I used it with the train/time speeding up, while with a black hole it'd be slowing down.

So to compare more with the blackhole -- two trains going the same speed next to each other, and as you get closer to the black hole, your train slows down. The other train sees you slow down, but from your perspective it looks like the other train is speeding up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: