Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
Anyone else disappointed at Nintendo?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Aladdin's Castle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hirmuinen
CT Certified Sales Rep.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:16 pm 
Post subject: Anyone else disappointed at Nintendo?
Top Reply with quote

When Nintendo first told about Wii I was excited of what it can do to gaming. It was big talks from Reggie about kicking ass and taking names, new direction from Nintendo, more agressive competition to dry market. It all sounded good, gameplay first and graphics second.

Now 1 year later it seems it's sells first and expanding market to older people. I have been watching Wii news for a long time, haven't bought it yet, and I have waited for something big - something to prove this hype and talks. For one year I have watched closely Wii news and what games it will have, and each time I see a new game/more information I find myself disappointed. What happened to a company which fans told "quality of games matters" is now seeking for simply games to mainstream succes.

Nintendos E3 was disappointing at least. I just coudn't figure out why do they brag about their sales and numbers, when Nintendo is known for of their "we don't want to complete with others". And when they finally showed some upcoming games, I was really hoping to see some awesome games, and what I found was utter shit rehashs all over again. ONLY even remotely intresting games are Mario Galaxy(to some degree), FF:CC2(but it will most likely suck like the first one) and Smash Brothers(it's a game that might me make buy one, wait...no release date for EU??!! Now wtf is that Nintendo, same bs all over again?). There is absolutely shitty games coming for Wii and they are big enough to get this short media coverage?! You know that there is something wrong when EA's sport games starts to feel really appealing compared to other offering.
When they finally showed us this new hardware addon...a WiiZapper. Ok...are you ****** kidding me? That only doesn't look and sound retarded, it really is. I might have forgiven it, if they showed some good games...hey Reggie says new software to support it...awesome, RESIDENT EVIL UMBRELLA something and ghost squad coinmachinery game... Rolling Eyes .
Reggie finally mentioned the online gaming, "are we serious about it? Well look at these games!"...Ummm okay - what games? Pokemon that has been slated to be complete A-hole for a game and 1 game to U.S this year of a character that has been over used for years? No thanks.
And that what it is, no frigging games at all! Zelda is still best game for Wii and it is Gamecube game. I could forgive it when Wii was released, but not when it's already one year later and doesn't look much better through next year.

Wii was supposed to save and evolve the gaming. Sony and Microsoft was criticiced for destroying the gaming. Now I see that it's Nintendo that is destroying and harming the game markets, it has given developers power to port and rehash games, just because gameplay comes first - Wii controller already gives the new gameplay so they don't have to change anything. Games are coming, but many of them are trying to match the gameplay elements that Wii needs, while leaving the actual game on low standards.

I am really disappointed about Nintendos new direction, and it seems that even Nintendo don't know what to do with Wii - trying to fit old formula games with new gameplay elements. It's same as your favorite band gets mainstream and screws you over for money. Wii sells like hotcake and I can only hope Sony and MS won't take the same path as Nintendo did, just to keep the actual game standards higher.
Bender
The First Bi-Sexual (mostly gay) Robot

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:56 pm 
Post subject: Re: Anyone else disappointed at Nintendo?
Top Reply with quote

Hirmuinen wrote:
I am really disappointed about Nintendos new direction

as opposed to them getting pwned up by sony and microsoft?

the wii has gotten nintendo a lot of positive publicity which you could never be able to say like 2 years ago when the gamecube was failing to the xbox and ps2... they needed a change
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Xfire Username MSN Messenger
Hirmuinen
CT Certified Sales Rep.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:01 pm 
Post subject: Re: Anyone else disappointed at Nintendo?
Top Reply with quote

Bender wrote:
Hirmuinen wrote:
I am really disappointed about Nintendos new direction

as opposed to them getting pwned up by sony and microsoft?

the wii has gotten nintendo a lot of positive publicity which you could never be able to say like 2 years ago when the gamecube was failing to the xbox and ps2... they needed a change

What I mean was about trying to gain mainstream(NON-gamers) attention instead of actually create something new in terms of gaming.

And to continue. After all this horn blowing about Wii, Nintendo and the whole gaming has stopped to it. No expanding, no upgrading, improving, innovating after it. As if the whole idea of Wii is set to stone already without even trying to make it better and more innovative.

I know this all is just pointless rampage to Nintendo, and there is no need for me to even reguest or demand anything from Nintendo. Stfu and just don't get the Wii, is a good advice that works with this case, but I was expecting alot more from Nintendo - all it now is halted to sales of Wii.
CountChocula
Warning- may cause CountChoculitis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:21 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Yeah, same thing happened in the beginning with the DS, Hirm, and soon enough developers will get over the gimmick of it and make some actual serious games for it. I think it took the DS a year or two to actually churn out some decent titles.
[20:43] -≠∫ĆŤ∫≠- ŜρξčļαГ јỈмMﻻ: we'll aim for bender
[20:43] -≠∫ĆŤ∫≠- ŜρξčļαГ јỈмMﻻ: but use a lot of napalm
Atomiktoaster
Sailor
Sailor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:39 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I think Choc has the right idea here. You have to realize that while nintendo was talking about changing gaming and not being in competition with Sony and MS they were still the also-ran hardware maker of the generation. Now, they're on the way to the largest install base of this generation with a control scheme that developers have never seen before, so everybody is trying to play catch-up in order to sell to this unexpectedly large market.

Resident Evil 4 is a great example of how the developers have gotten the controls tuned in nice and tight. Now all they have to do is take some new ideas and begin to build some new AAA games around the controls.

I'd also give more credit to the announced lineup. Galaxy and Smash are both enticing, but you also have Metroid Prime 3 (with the best FPS controls ever, according to IGN) Wii Fit (which might not be every gamer's dream, but at least is a genuinely original idea) and Mario Kart (multiple control schemes and online play? hell yeah!).

If none of this makes you feel any better, consider that because of the install base, almost all of the big multiplatform games are finding themselves on the Wii (e.g. Guitar Hero III) and with Wii Ware, small developers with not much to lose will be coming up with new ideas soon.
RK-Mara
Uber Dick Wad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:44 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Seems like you aren't a big fan of Resident Evil. Resident Evil 4 won multiple Game of the Year awards and the GameCube version got 96% score on Gamerankings.com. I have re4 on Wii and I'm definitely going to buy Umbrella Chronicles also, because it will own.
anonymousity
Stealth's Wench
Stealth's Wench

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:57 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I dunno. Nintendo seems to be pretty good about landing themselves in the best-case scenario for whats currently going on.

The biggest risk to the Wii everyone keeps talking about is the console's longevity. Since the Wii being a gimmick is about half-right, how do you keep a product such as this healthy for long enough to capture a loyal (and fucking massive) consumer base? In the non-gamer case, I think the answer is nail the Wii into every little social bubble they possibly can.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/technology/article2063714.ece

Check out this article - it pretty much tells what Nintendo is up to. They're looking for one blue ocean after the next. (Blue ocean being new market)

The Wii Fit thing may look smelly and gay to most all the vocal hardcore gaming crowd (who aren't really known for their physical prowess in the first place,) but honestly: think about this game. It's going to sell half a fuckton.

Theres a PS2 game where all it does is show some 3D animated chick doing the exercise, once you select which one you want her to do. You just fucking watch. It only sold to women, but it sold well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yourself%21Fitness

If that shit can do well, Nintendo can ride theirs all the way to the bank with the advertising to non-gamers they pull, and the fact that this does look pretty well-made. Just get ready to see it on Oprah.

For hardcore gamers, can we really bitch? From Nintendo themselves, the big three titles we all know about do seem pretty cool. SSBM is almost a religious experience for me, so brawl has my pants wet. That could be just me, but I don't think I'm alone.

Your right though - they could have shown more 3rd party shit.
ChrisT
John Jameson
<font color=#50C5FF><b>John Jameson</b></font>

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:50 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Working for a large retail change i can tell you demand for the wii is anything but down. I work in computers and get a call on the phone at least 3 times a week asking if we have them.

CALL MEDIA JACKASS, WII IS NOT A COMPUTER!

anywho, I always thought the idea for the wii was innovative but a little ridiculous, I have never tried one out but it seems the technology was a little pre-mature.

I am happily playing 360, and quite satisfied with the large selection of games.

All that being said, WTF Nintendo manufacture more wii's. I don't understand why we get a shipment maybe once a month when they all sell the day we get them. Buying a wii is like a search for the holy grail, and almost fruitless enough just to buy a 360.

Fuck sony,
marketing - sucks
quality - overhyped
performance - weak
price - over the top
game selection - ok

I truely feel that 360 won this generations battle, but Nintendo is definately doing better, sony seems to have lost it's grasp to an extent.
Stealth
▲RAWR TRIANGLE RAWR▲

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:25 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I don't think Nintendo has failed. Their system is just wow... There's only two main problems with it.

Everyone has been making games that uses the standard controller and they'd have to make a whole new game just for the Wii...

And like Slaughter said, Nintendo only makes a few Wii's. I'm STILL looking for one after a year.

360 has currently won the round... but I don't think the war is over just yet. Remember that the 360 got a head start as well. Smile

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
anonymousity
Stealth's Wench
Stealth's Wench

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:30 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

360's are ownage. I see the Wii as sort of a supplementary console to the hardcore gamer, where the expensive consoles are solely hardcore devices. Really on price alone, I don't think either will get a decent chunk of the casual gaming market, as hard as they will try. (LittleBigPlanet, Viva Pinanta)

Question there is, PS3 or 360? I would go 360 right now.

I think by the end of the holiday season, the 360 will either have been passed up in sales or very close-to, if the current sales rates continue as they are. Of course this holiday will be the big decider, since everyone will be selling a ton - I imagine though Nintendo will sell through all the shit they make.

Depends on how much stock they show up with.
Bunny
Chips' Wench

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:18 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I think the disappointment in games is just lacking because of the new technology. Wii is a whole new experience for the gaming community. Developers can come up with a kickass game, but then they have to think how they can make it interactive with the player. I believe their just throwing any type of genre of games right now to see how they do with customers. There's still not very many games out for the Wii comparing to 360 and PS3. I'd give it another year or two before Wii gets some ridiculously awesome games.
theboomboom
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:39 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Here be my two cents...

CountChocula wrote:
Yeah, same thing happened in the beginning with the DS, Hirm, and soon enough developers will get over the gimmick of it and make some actual serious games for it. I think it took the DS a year or two to actually churn out some decent titles.

The DS was in a unique position, one that the wii is far from. The DS's only competition was the PSP, and it was its competition during sony's jaded-era, where it was living off PS2's success. Now that Sony's taking their company in a new direction, the power of the PSP and PSN will start to steal back Nintendo's presence on sales charts.

I believe we are going to see the same situation play out with the Wii and PS3, only with sony acting much wiser. The other factor we have to consider here is the 360, which could end up beating out both systems with the services it offers, as long as neither company catches up.
Sony's Playstation Network is slowly but surely becoming on-par with what Live offers, plus it is free (something extremely compelling for those who want a full-featured online service, but not have to pay for it).

Atomiktoaster wrote:
I'd also give more credit to the announced lineup. Galaxy and Smash are both enticing, but you also have Metroid Prime 3 (with the best FPS controls ever, according to IGN) Wii Fit (which might not be every gamer's dream, but at least is a genuinely original idea) and Mario Kart (multiple control schemes and online play? hell yeah!).

Sure, the lineup here is great, but three of the four games you mentioned came out of last year's show, and the fourth could be the start of the end of nintendo's appeal to the hardcore audience. The Wii will become a gimmick if Nintendo can't start appealing to the hardcore, the guy's who play more that just Wii Sports.

Sony and Microsoft have really nailed their showings at this E3. LBP and Viva Piata: Party Animals will appeal to the casual gamers, but they are also serving to the hardcore, in spades.

Slaughter wrote:
Fuck sony,
marketing - sucks
quality - overhyped
performance - weak
price - over the top
game selection - ok

Marketing-they've gotten better, and have you see their commercial with the naked chick? Razz
Quality-What about the 5 year old tech we're seeing in the wii, and the failure rate of 360?
Price-Down $100, making it competitive with the 360 Elite.
Performance- Just wait and see, if sony keeps to their 10 year lifecycle, we should be seeing damn near photorealistic games in a few short years.
Game Selection- There's not that much that you can play on the 360 and not the PS3. The AAA titles are starting to show up and take sides, but almost every third party game is coming to both consoles.

anonymousity wrote:
Question there is, PS3 or 360? I would go 360 right now.

Quite honestly, I would go with the PS3. With the Falcon revision of 360 announced, there is no way I would pick up the 90nm timebombs on shelves now. The PS3 is also the underdog at the moment, so we're going to see most of the innovation coming from Sony's camp. I would also buy the PS3 sooner than later, just to have the hardware backwards compatibility, and not have to deal with the software emulation like with the 360.

In conclusion...

In the words of the 1up guys, both Sony and Nintendo have done complete 180's at this year's show. Sony's biggest problem last year was they were too full of themselves, but this year they've listened to the consumers. Hell, Jack Tretton pulled a RIDGE RACER on Kaz Hirai during the press conference. Nintendo on the other hand has turned their backs on the loyal hardcore crowd, and is killing their system with nothing but mini-games. The 360 is still a viable player, but I'd like to see them commit much more to GFW Live and start having more cross-platform interaction.

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Xfire Username MSN Messenger
anonymousity
Stealth's Wench
Stealth's Wench

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:04 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I'm curious to see how relevant the mainstream gaming press and the opinions of hardcore gamers on message boards, blogs, etc. will actually be to the Wii's success. Right now we have about half of everyone online saying Nintendo is leaving their hardcore fanbase in the dust, and the other half not. I don't buy it - or really see the need for more first-party hardcore titles right now. We're looking at 3 high-budget and extremely high-profile first party games coming within a 4 month time period. Again what I think they could have done to qualm all the concerns over showing hardcore games would be to touch on more 3rd party games, cause I don't think its going to get much better then the lineup we have now from the big N itself.

But how relevant really is any of that shit? As long as they have their Wii Fits and Sports and all of the rest, this console will continue to make a killing. What will be interesting to see how many of the newly grasped 'non-gamers' ever actually transition to real gamers, thus buying more 'hardcore' games as they get deeper and deeper into gaming. If Nintendo can make these games into an invisible 12-step process to get more people buying their big-title games, thats fucking massive.

It appears, too, that this is indeed the plan. Games like Mario Galaxy being relatively easy to grasp yet still very appealing to the 'hardcore' gamer. Seems like 3 or 4 times during that conference they had to note on how _________ game is that much easier for non-gamers to play, yadda yadda.

So really - all us gamers on forums get huffy about Nintendo, but will it matter? I doubt it.

I'll start giving them shit about 5 year old hardware when it stops impressing me. (SMG)
ChrisT
John Jameson
<font color=#50C5FF><b>John Jameson</b></font>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:32 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

The biggest thing the ps3 has going for it right now is the built in blu ray player. Since most blu ray players are just as pricey as the ps3 it gives them considerable leverage in the market.

I still think the 360 has major leverage in the game market, Gears of war, Halo 3.

MS Game Studio is really putting out some hits.

PS3's price is going back up as soon as the holidays hit.

I really want MS to package in their HD player or drop the price at the very least, we'll see what happens.

The Blu Ray is enticing.
Hirmuinen
CT Certified Sales Rep.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:03 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

anonymousity wrote:
I'm curious to see how relevant the mainstream gaming press and the opinions of hardcore gamers on message boards, blogs, etc. will actually be to the Wii's success. Right now we have about half of everyone online saying Nintendo is leaving their hardcore fanbase in the dust, and the other half not. I don't buy it - or really see the need for more first-party hardcore titles right now. We're looking at 3 high-budget and extremely high-profile first party games coming within a 4 month time period. Again what I think they could have done to qualm all the concerns over showing hardcore games would be to touch on more 3rd party games, cause I don't think its going to get much better then the lineup we have now from the big N itself.

Yes 3-4 good games. It is pretty good, but not better at all what Gamecube had in it's time. And those 4 games have been known for years now, there was absolutely no suprises for 'hardcore' games and Nintendo hailing more to non-gamer markets. That's what I'm worried about. They gain more money from that market, so why turn back?

Quote:

But how relevant really is any of that shit? As long as they have their Wii Fits and Sports and all of the rest, this console will continue to make a killing. What will be interesting to see how many of the newly grasped 'non-gamers' ever actually transition to real gamers, thus buying more 'hardcore' games as they get deeper and deeper into gaming. If Nintendo can make these games into an invisible 12-step process to get more people buying their big-title games, thats fucking massive.

It appears, too, that this is indeed the plan. Games like Mario Galaxy being relatively easy to grasp yet still very appealing to the 'hardcore' gamer. Seems like 3 or 4 times during that conference they had to note on how _________ game is that much easier for non-gamers to play, yadda yadda.

I believe that they will not start playing games we call 'hardcore' in their current form. They might get into Super Mario Galaxy, but that is if the game is easy enough to appeal for them. Games might turn easier and more acceptable for casual/non-gamers to gain their intrest. And that isn't good if you are truly trying to find some good challenges along the fun. Game with really low difficulty = good as dead already.

Why I think all of this is a bad thing? If Wii gets even more popular and sells tons of gimmick games, then there will surely be flood of companies developing these games. Just like PC only companies are turning into console market and doing half-ass ports for PC, just because games sell more on consoles. Now what will happen if they can sell double or triple the amount of games if they turn their games appeal for non-gamers?[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Aladdin's Castle All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: