Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
question about LANs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Computer Tech Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brutus
BuffNerd
BuffNerd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:35 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I guess so Wang. I really dun know, I am hesitant to say always or never cuz Choc will go but the wrong thing smehow. Very Happy Probably though, as mine has one and it is hardly some advanced model. But if that is the case then Choc already already has one too... If Choc already has one too then it is a software firewall issue or a search issue.

Choc, try setting the "workgroup" name to something similar on both PCs and they should be able to see each other pretty quick too. I think it is under System Settings, Network ID. Then search your Entire Network or something like that to see your LAN. Sorry for the lack of details here. If you can get Pirates going you can fill in the cracks here. Very Happy I think this would help. I'd hate to think I configure this all the time for nothing. Razz I use it to share a printer. Should help with games too.
bazookabubblegun
Helmsman
Helmsman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:58 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

If you only want to connect the two cops for a while then swithc it off you could use a poor man lan and connect them with a crossover cable directly(network cable with pairs 1,2 and 3,4 reversed) costs about $5...that way you don't have to worry about the router or anything else not being correct. I use it to troubleshoot sometimes.

And check to make sure that both machines haev IP addresses assigned and teat they are in the same subnet mask.

User-posted image
CountChocula
Warning- may cause CountChoculitis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:05 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

omg too complicated! screw LAN, we'll just play on the same server... too bad some games have LAN multiplayer only (well, DEMOs of some games... *shrug*)
Brutus
BuffNerd
BuffNerd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:06 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

ah, teh crossover cable of the good ol days. Very Happy

This would kill their Internet connections though...
bazookabubblegun
Helmsman
Helmsman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:40 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Yeah it would at that, well you caould have two nics but that is kinda stupid

User-posted image
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:17 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Wait why the fuck do they need xover cables when they need a router/ Choc, Xfire me tomorrow. We'll get you straightened out....
bazookabubblegun
Helmsman
Helmsman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:25 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

A crossover allows you to not have to mess with a router etc. I know this is real old school stuff. Correct me if I have my pairs mixed up -Pairs 1,2 transmit and 34 (I think) so if you reverse thepairs on the other end all set to go - but yeah it will kill anything outside, it is just a way to bypass everything else and make sure he can communicate first - then add on the layer of complexity of the router

User-posted image
Brutus
BuffNerd
BuffNerd

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:39 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Yep, if they want to play LAN only a simple hub/switch or crossover is the way to go.

If you use a router and want outside peeps to play then you will have to manually configure a gaming port.

If your router already has a switch built in then try turning off your firewalls while playing.
Rally Monkey
So if you could just restore that rank..
So if you could just restore that rank..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:32 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Down with LinkSys UP with NETGEAR!!
http://www.netgear.com/products/business/prod_vpnrouter_wireless_sb.php

Once I got chucked the LinkSys and went with Netgear all my networking problems went away. (Probably the firmware on my LinkSys router was buggy).
bazookabubblegun
Helmsman
Helmsman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:55 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Cisco! I get paid more for knowing cisco! Well a little anyway - does anyone really know a LOT of Cisco? Well, now liksys is Cisco so...Cisco ,cause I get paid more!

User-posted image
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:52 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

{HG}bazookabubblegun wrote:
A crossover allows you to not have to mess with a router etc. I know this is real old school stuff. Correct me if I have my pairs mixed up -Pairs 1,2 transmit and 34 (I think) so if you reverse thepairs on the other end all set to go - but yeah it will kill anything outside, it is just a way to bypass everything else and make sure he can communicate first - then add on the layer of complexity of the router

OK, but why waste money and time on more hardware when they can just spend a little time reconfiguring soft/firmware and accomplish the same thing.
bazookabubblegun
Helmsman
Helmsman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:13 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Cause it is like a couple of bucks and tells you where the problem is. Seriously your way is good too, just can be more complicated. I come from an IT shop where we already have crossover cables so I think along those lines. Either way will work mine is only an interim solution till you figure out where the issue lies.

Wow this got 26 replies...

User-posted image
CountChocula
Warning- may cause CountChoculitis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:05 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Wang Chung wrote:
Wait why the fuck do they need xover cables when they need a router/ Choc, Xfire me tomorrow. We'll get you straightened out....

well, that was overtly simple, thanks wangy
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:26 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

{HG}bazookabubblegun wrote:
Cause it is like a couple of bucks and tells you where the problem is. Seriously your way is good too, just can be more complicated. I come from an IT shop where we already have crossover cables so I think along those lines. Either way will work mine is only an interim solution till you figure out where the issue lies.

Wow this got 26 replies...

OK, but this would mean every time you wanted to play a LAN game you would have to rewire your network :-/ EVEN THEN, you would STILL have to disable firewall on host machine.

All choc had to do was disable the firewall and connect to the IP of the host Very Happy

Glad to help chocusex Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Computer Tech Section All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: