Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
OC ma cpu

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Computer Tech Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theboomboom
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:30 pm 
Post subject: OC ma cpu
Top Reply with quote

I am looking at overclocking my processor from 1.5 ghz to 1.7 ghz (for BF2). What I don't know at this point is what way is the best way to go about oc'ing it. Is a .2 difference going to completley fry the processor? Heat shouldn't be an issue because I have an exaust fan direcly on top of the processor that could probably suck your eyeballs out of your skull, but will that be enough?

Thx!

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Xfire Username MSN Messenger
Brutus
BuffNerd
BuffNerd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:41 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

This is more Supa's line. I only overclock when the mobo comes with software that supports it directly. I doubt the extra .2GHz will put a shine on your system's BF2 performance regardless. If you screw it up though it might have a serious negative impact on the performance on all of your games. Very Happy
theboomboom
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:49 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Actually, the .2 difference would make a difference, it would allow the game to actually work!

More opinions, suggestions?

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Xfire Username MSN Messenger
Brutus
BuffNerd
BuffNerd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:52 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

How will that difference make a magical difference? And how do you know? Do you mean according to the minimum system requirements on the box or something?
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:19 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Well, as far as I know there's only a few ways you can go about OC'ing a processor. A straight 200mhz jump isn't very much of a heat problem, but there's a chance you'll have to up the core voltage for stability. To be honest, I really have no clue why, but in order to increase stabiliity at high speeds the voltage of the chip has to be higher - if not, the comp will freeze and lock up and do yucky shit. This means more heat :-/ You'll have no choice but to SLOWLY play with it.

Explain the situation with the fan. Also, tell me about the heatsink and fan covering the CPU? That's really what it boils down to.
theboomboom
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:30 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Ok the CPU itslef is basically under its own massive exaust vent, this is why I don't think heat should be an issue. And would the bios screen be my best bet for oc'ing?

User-posted image
SupaFly
Gunner Fan Club President

Location: sunnydale mental institution (for the mentally unstable) ((like me)) (((supa)))
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:01 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

you mean theres an out fan right above ur cpu fan?
id rather blow fresh air in if its right on top, otherwise the 2 fans fight each other & will burn out easily..... and the fact that the vacuum it creates doesnt leave much air for the heatsink to breathe...

aside from that, the biggest question is system specs.... what chip do you have (amd/intel) and what model is your mobo & what bios does it have....

multiplier overclock (advanced users): usually this has to be enabled on the chip itself (by physically connecting a series of bridges) this will only increase the actual frequency of the chip & is the best choice when you want to go faster, but have shitty components that couldnt handle the next option

FSB overclock (slightly easier, but more dangerous): fo rthis, your mobo just has to support it... go into the bios & up the FSB.... now heres the catch... when you boost the fsb, you also boost the pcib & the agpb and the ram frequency.... (unless your mobo has an option to lock these) so if you have some shaky components, this is NOT the way to go....

if you need more info, try google, overclockers.co.uk has a lot of board specific info, and i know there are others that i cant think of right off hand

btw, if anything i said went over your head, you need to do some more research before you try something like this.... there isnt really a set in stone way to figure it out, its an art... you have to know your machine very well (you should be able to rattle off the parts by memory... and if you cant, you will be able to by hte tim eyou finish researching) and its all pretty much dependent on what your mobo is capable of... if theres not an option in the bios, or jumpers on the board, ur screwed... read your mobo manual to see what it can do
theboomboom
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:47 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Ok, after browsing my bios and visiting a few net sites, they all said the same thing. Dells dont OC (yes i am a n00b for thinking it would). Do you guys know of some software that I could OC it with. It is a dimension 8100 with pretty much all the standard stuff as far as I am aware.

User-posted image
SupaFly

Location: sunnydale mental institution (for the mentally unstable) ((like me)) (((supa)))
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:42 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

software overclocks are teh sux
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Computer Tech Section All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: