Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
Feedback for Wang on Anchor Arch.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brutus
BuffNerd
BuffNerd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:30 pm 
Post subject: Feedback for Wang on Anchor Arch.
Top Reply with quote

You asked for feedback so here it be - I am going to try to brainstorm out 10 things, we'll see if I make it for ye. Very Happy

1. Flag shouldnt be in corners (too restricted)
2. Flag should have multiple access points (not Alamo style)
3. That hill is too big/steep. Flatten out the spots where you expect people to fight. When it is too rough, confined, or steep then skill isnt as important - no good aiming, maneuvering, etc.
4. Make/let people think or act within a few moments of spawning
5. As this is vehicle heavy (seems to me) then give vehicle-scale defenses.
6. Definitely start with ships closer to spawns (I only played blue), even if just dinghys or komodos to get you to a selection of heavier hardware.
7. Try to think of strategies that should work for your map and make them possible. For example, it would be cool if there were enough defenses to sink a runabout full of raiders if they assaulted head on. BUT, make it so privateer or nearby arty support would tip the balance. AND give a back route for infantry assault to spread te defenses and keep people on their toes.
8. Give peeps some shelter on the isles to hide from boats and cannons to keep the enemy honest.
9. Make the islands so you can sail straight at and back from the flag. The FUN part of CTF maps is when people have a flag. It isnt as fun if all you do it TRY to get the flag but succeed quickly every time you touch it. Kinda anti-climactic know what I mean? Easy to grab the flag (but hard to cap it) seems most suspenseful.
10. Shape your islands like nekkid women. Wink

hahaha j/k. I am actually scrapping my neekid island map. The sculpting itself is beautiful (if I can so boldly compliment myself Very Happy) but the terrain makes it hideous. mmmm look at that hot leper chick... Evil or Very Mad I also made it SO large that it isnt playable. I mean you could fight around the fingers of just one hand. Rolling Eyes

Most of these were kinda general comments. Hopefully they help. I know I will keep these in mind going forward with my own maps. I dont like throwing away nekkid ladies... Sad
Cobra
Sailor
Sailor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:08 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Alamo style?
Brutus
BuffNerd
BuffNerd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:16 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Alamo = 1 way in 1way out (bad jargon, prolly not even accurate Smile)
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:26 am 
Post subject: Re: Feedback for Wang on Anchor Arch.
Top Reply with quote

Brutus wrote:

Fuck you. Just kidding! I hate to admit it but in a way you're right. I think i'm gonna move the blue flag to the center of that ridge or some shit, and then take the red flag OUT of the church. This will make it a bit easier to get too.

Quote:

Hey, they just mentioned the Alamo on Sports Center Very Happy
Doing what I just said should fix that. You can hit the blue base in the ass or some shizzitnit. I really dunno about the red side. I think if I move the flag out, it will be better. It's possible to slip down the spires and hop into a boat

Quote:
3. That hill is too big/steep. Flatten out the spots where you expect people to fight. When it is too rough, confined, or steep then skill isnt as important - no good aiming, maneuvering, etc.

What is "that hill"? You have a good point though.

Quote:
4. Make/let people think or act within a few moments of spawning.

Working on this. Definately.

Quote:

The issue here is that it wasn't really supposed to be vehicle heavy. Now I realize how the priv/sloop have a huge impact. Definately going to put some more 24pdrs and such. I think the matchup for the runners are fine.

Quote:
6. Definitely start with ships closer to spawns (I only played blue), even if just dinghys or komodos to get you to a selection of heavier hardware.

Swimming to ships is fucking retarded. Period. I'll fix this.

Quote:
7. Try to think of strategies that should work for your map and make them possible. For example, it would be cool if there were enough defenses to sink a runabout full of raiders if they assaulted head on. BUT, make it so privateer or nearby arty support would tip the balance. AND give a back route for infantry assault to spread te defenses and keep people on their toes.

I think that this is the case. I'm leaving the strategies to the people. I'm gonna work on the bridge network so infantry support is feasible and shit.

Quote:
8. Give peeps some shelter on the isles to hide from boats and cannons to keep the enemy honest.

I agree with you completely but I need a bit of help, and by that I mean specific suggestions. What should I do? Smile

Quote:
9. Make the islands so you can sail straight at and back from the flag. The FUN part of CTF maps is when people have a flag. It isnt as fun if all you do it TRY to get the flag but succeed quickly every time you touch it. Kinda anti-climactic know what I mean? Easy to grab the flag (but hard to cap it) seems most suspenseful.

I agree with your intentions of this, but I don't think it's necessary for me to make such a straight path as you have said. That would require a lot of heavy-duty reshaping, and as much as I'd like to make a map everyone loves, i'm not really willing to do that.

I really agree though, the fun is chasing and shit - not defending some retarded bunkered up flag. I think during the alpha two test, the flag was touched like three times total.

Here are a few ideas I have:

1. Spread the spawns - right now I have one physical spawn per control point. That's retarded. To alleviate some of the travel issues, i'm going to place multiple spawns. For example, on the red side I may put a spawn over by that dock. On the blue side I may put one by the 24pdr tower.
2. Un-bunkerize the flag - make them far more accessable, but combine the spread spawns with spread defensive positions to protect the flag

The more I think about it, the more I need to make the ships easily accessible. It's just dumb if you get the flag, blow everyone up and hop in a boat. Currently it takes them a week and a half to get to a boat. You're home free pretty much. I REALLY need some spawn spread + easier boat access.

I was really dissapointed in myself for making such a big slow map that prtty much sucked. The new version will be a lot quicker.

Quote:

Take your clothes off .. I need a model!

I'm very curious - what do y'alls think about the aesthetics of my map? Does it look nice? Eh? I spent a lot of time on the texturing and shit. Neeed feedback.
Brutus
BuffNerd
BuffNerd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:32 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Whoops, typo... Meant ships should NOT be able to sail back and forth. You got the drigt from the context if not CAN instead of CANT. Very Happy

Cool. Done yet? Wink

p.s. What's there to take off? Confused
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:35 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Yuckkkkk... pantsless freak. Best get on AIM.

I think my overall goal is to make this strategy the best - have troops approach and attack with runabouts, then score the flag by sailing around in the bigger ships with better defenses (notably the sloop with it's sexy falcs to defend), as well as counter-attack and re-capture the flag with the bigger ships around the outside. I'm trying to brainstorm how i can discourage flag carrying via runabout, but perhaps that is most natural.
Brutus
BuffNerd
BuffNerd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:49 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I cant get on AIM. My folks came are staying in my game room / spare bed room / office. Very Happy

No way to discourage runabouts, they are the fastest and most flexible vehicles in the game. If you put them in they WILL get used - and more often and for more stuff than anything else.

Sloops suck... Razz Well, they are ok defense vs runabouts I suppose (same firepower but much more rugged) I guess but I'd take the Privateer any day. Twisted Evil
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:26 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I hate the sloops too, but they are much better at defending from light runabout attacks than a privateer.

If your privy is getting raped by a pair of runners, you're pretty much fucked even with a decent crew. The cannons aren't flexible enough. With the sloop, you have 3 shitty swivel cannons to protect your ass.

So much for the carrying the flag around strategy. I suppose I'll just have to do what you said and make the privateer and sloop tip the balance. I think I'll throw some gnats in for kicks.
SupaFly
Gunner Fan Club President

Location: sunnydale mental institution (for the mentally unstable) ((like me)) (((supa)))
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:10 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

put in the old sloops!!!11!!!!

get em outta usafs map, theyre all coded for .31 & everything
GotMilk?
Shaniqua

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:21 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

SupaFly wrote:
put in the old sloops!!!11!!!!

get em outta usafs map, theyre all coded for .31 & everything

QFE
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Xfire Username
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:11 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I really don't feel like tearing apart the map just for that. AFAIK, there are stiill some bugs and shtuff. Plus, i think the current "light gunboat" sloop will work a lot better. I don't want a "seafaring" mini gal.
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:56 pm 
Post subject: Re: Feedback for Wang on Anchor Arch.
Top Reply with quote

Wang Chung wrote:
Brutus wrote:

Fuck you. Just kidding! I hate to admit it but in a way you're right. I think i'm gonna move the blue flag to the center of that ridge or some shit, and then take the red flag OUT of the church. This will make it a bit easier to get too.

Quote:

Hey, they just mentioned the Alamo on Sports Center Very Happy
Doing what I just said should fix that. You can hit the blue base in the ass or some shizzitnit. I really dunno about the red side. I think if I move the flag out, it will be better. It's possible to slip down the spires and hop into a boat

Quote:

What is "that hill"? You have a good point though.

Quote:
4. Make/let people think or act within a few moments of spawning.

Working on this. Definately.

Quote:

The issue here is that it wasn't really supposed to be vehicle heavy. Now I realize how the priv/sloop have a huge impact. Definately going to put some more 24pdrs and such. I think the matchup for the runners are fine.

Quote:

Swimming to ships is fucking retarded. Period. I'll fix this.

Quote:

I think that this is the case. I'm leaving the strategies to the people. I'm gonna work on the bridge network so infantry support is feasible and shit.

Quote:

I agree with you completely but I need a bit of help, and by that I mean specific suggestions. What should I do? Smile

Quote:

I agree with your intentions of this, but I don't think it's necessary for me to make such a straight path as you have said. That would require a lot of heavy-duty reshaping, and as much as I'd like to make a map everyone loves, i'm not really willing to do that.

I really agree though, the fun is chasing and shit - not defending some retarded bunkered up flag. I think during the alpha two test, the flag was touched like three times total.

Here are a few ideas I have:

1. Spread the spawns - right now I have one physical spawn per control point. That's retarded. To alleviate some of the travel issues, i'm going to place multiple spawns. For example, on the red side I may put a spawn over by that dock. On the blue side I may put one by the 24pdr tower.
2. Un-bunkerize the flag - make them far more accessable, but combine the spread spawns with spread defensive positions to protect the flag

The more I think about it, the more I need to make the ships easily accessible. It's just dumb if you get the flag, blow everyone up and hop in a boat. Currently it takes them a week and a half to get to a boat. You're home free pretty much. I REALLY need some spawn spread + easier boat access.

I was really dissapointed in myself for making such a big slow map that prtty much sucked. The new version will be a lot quicker.

Quote:

Take your clothes off .. I need a model!

I'm very curious - what do y'alls think about the aesthetics of my map? Does it look nice? Eh? I spent a lot of time on the texturing and shit. Neeed feedback.

Still need more feedback from non-Brutus, as well as the questions that have not been answered fully. The more you help the less the map sucks.
SupaFly

Location: sunnydale mental institution (for the mentally unstable) ((like me)) (((supa)))
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:49 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

brutus hit all but the most nitpicky of mine...

trees!!!!! lots of em!!!!! all over!!!! itll give infantry a lil more cover from boats

textures are good, i liked the color of the map (the overall picture) but in gameplay, the player models stood out too much, thats why i say trees & bushes

and seriously, try to get the old sloops in... they would own the map & make it really fun... and i wanna see privateer vs old sloop fights (maybe even new vs old???? that would rule!!!!)
Stealth
▲RAWR TRIANGLE RAWR▲

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:40 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Welp, I give up at the mapping... I finally reinstalled BC to the default directory AND reinstalled BF1942 to the default directory. I also put the pirate.lst and .cfg files in the BC folder.

Unfortunately.. I ran BC without putting the pirates mod folder back into BF1942... and when BC didn't work, I uninstalled BC and unstalled BF1942, reinstalled it back to my E:\ drive, realized my mistake... and was pissed afterwords. Confused

Anyone have a better mapping thing than BC? I don't want to go through all that crap again...

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:55 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Dude, BC is the easiest mapping program Sad There is another one called ED42 (editor42) but it's waaaaaaay harder. I'll help ya with BC.

Anyway, I'm working on version 3. Let me list some changes:

First, I set up a spawn system much like the one that Brutus had in Getaway, but not quite. There is only one flagpole per team, but each team has two selectable spawn areas. Now RED can spawn on that jungle-rich island, and BLUE can also spawn on that high cannon island. There are 3 runabouts per team now, and they are very easy to access. I made a minimum of two physical spawn areas per flag, so that's 4 spread spawns per team. No more whorage!

I fixed most of the bridges and added a ton more. You can now island hop without touching the water on most of the center islands. Quite frankly, i think it's badass. I also did a hell of a lot of work on that volcano mountain. It has a rocky cliff all around it with a lot of protection, as well as a shipwreck (the front part thingy) hanging off the cliff. Plus, there is a TON of smoke coming out of the volcano. All of the bridges work fine (you can get on all of them) and you can get up that ladder now. I did a good bit of terrain work and texture work, but I still need to decorate some of the islands.

Also added some more ammo, but there needs to be more. yeah. Working on it now. I think you guys will like it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Below Deck All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: