Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
Helpful stuff for new players

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pharaoh Man
Sailor
Sailor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:12 pm 
Post subject: Helpful stuff for new players
Top Reply with quote

I see that Hirmuinen, Eugene and Kirov have just picked up Dota 2, and other members might give it a try someday. This game is not really noob-friendly, but I'll post some guides that might make the transition a bit easier.

Welcome to DOTA, you suck.
http://www.playdota.com/guides/welcome-to-dota-you-suck
This is the best beginners guide anywhere. It applies to both Dota and Dota 2, and even if you're an intermediate player I highly recommend (DEMAND) you read it. All the way through. It will immediately give you an idea of what you're supposed to be learning. (You may skip the part about vendors and which items they sell, that only applies to Dota, not Dota 2.)

Dota 2 Wiki
http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Dota_2_Wiki
Cut and dry resource for reading abilities, items, etc. when not in game. Also explains very basic concepts like armor and move speed if you just want to get into the gritty details about the game. Spend a little time clicking around there in your downtime.

Dotafire
http://www.dotafire.com/
Archive of build guides and strategy. If there is a specific hero you want to practice, read the highest rated guides and see what skills/items they build. Also works as a handy alt-tab guide since the skills and items are at the top of the page. When I was learning to play I would keep a guide on my second monitor to help me build.

Player Statistics
www.dotaholic.com
www.dotabuff.com
These sites give detailed information about your play. Just interesting stuff to look at once you have a few games played.

I'm also available to help answer questions or give advice.
BarytaQ
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:50 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I've been playing with bots exclusively for the past few weeks and it's a decent way to figure out how to play a hero. It won't get you anything but the basics of how a hero plays, but it's a good way to set a base for knowledge that the sites Pharaoh linked and actual gameplay will give you.
User-posted image
Hirmuinen
CT Certified Sales Rep.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:38 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

You shoudn't have posted this for me I'm master in Dota. My fat percentage is near 0 and I masturbate daily. My click per second is 205.

As far as I am considered you should be the one asking my help.
Hirmuinen
CT Certified Sales Rep.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:21 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

In all seriousness. I liked to play as Axe because:

1. It felt like tank with its big axe. So it seemed like guy who could do damage.

2. It had this suprise blood shout or something that slowly drained enemy life and slowed him down over time. Really powerfull. It was like a support class ability that not one opponent that I played against could forsee. Killing quite many of them.

3. It looked great.

4. No one ever choce this class. So it's unique. This is the most improtant factor to me. I don't want to play as everyone else does.

What I didn't like:

1. Everyone seemed to assault towards me(because I didn't realize what I was playing as), but it opened an opportunity in which I could be agressive and assault, because nobody expected it from me. I played like 10 matches from where I was like 6/10 times the top player. As soon as I changed this agressive tactic, I totally sucked with Axe.

2. From 4 abilities I see only 2 useful ones, I try to avoid the barbarian shout(1st one, in which enemy draws to you and you gain shield bonus...) because it is totally useless. But those two abilities are great ones. Slow the enemy down and AXE him to DEATH. Fucking great.

3. I feel like I'm much better player when it comes to tactics than my opponents, but because I had no stopping power(stungs, truly control ability) all my flanking efforts worked because of stupid enemy.

So what class should I play as?
BarytaQ
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:39 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

The only useful thing about that shout is the armor bonus. You can use it to mitigate some damage while jungling (Killing NPCs in the woods) and during teamfights, but that's about it.
User-posted image
atatme
Atatame Who?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:08 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Its also great for making it so squishy heros can't run away from the mean scary axe. Even if a hero tries to spam invis and you shout, he will have to break invis and attack you. Its an incredibly useful move
Hirmuinen
CT Certified Sales Rep.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:48 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

atatme wrote:
Its also great for making it so squishy heros can't run away from the mean scary axe. Even if a hero tries to spam invis and you shout, he will have to break invis and attack you. Its an incredibly useful move

I didn't know that. That is great.
Hirmuinen
CT Certified Sales Rep.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:51 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I like how the Russia is marked on top of Sweden. But who cares about geography.

I was also called a retard today, can't disagree with that. It was fair judgment.
Hirmuinen
CT Certified Sales Rep.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:04 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

That wiki is quite useful.

Do my items stack if I were, let's say, buy like 6 fast gloves(attack speed +15). So with six I would get +90 attack speed?

I played one round with this dude and thought it sucked:

http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Shadow_Demon

Apparently I failed to realize why my poison attack did no damage..
Eugene
Sleepuls

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:46 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Stuff stacks unless the item says otherwise (certain passives don't stack with each other).

AS does stack with itself though
Eugene
Sleepuls

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:41 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

So I had a game where we didn't play dota for the longest time, then we played some dota and it was fun.
Hirmuinen
CT Certified Sales Rep.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:10 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Eugene wrote:
Stuff stacks unless the item says otherwise (certain passives don't stack with each other).

AS does stack with itself though

Does Vanguard, the shield thing stack?

I think I learned something today while playing as Axe. Does his passive attack happen more often when more enemies are attacking him?
BarytaQ
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:44 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I don't think the damage reduction thing from Vanguard stacks. For the Axe thing, yes the Counter-Helix will happen more if more people are hitting you, I think it's a 17% chance to happen every time he's hit.
User-posted image
Hirmuinen
CT Certified Sales Rep.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:18 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Right on. Bow to Axe bitches.

I saw a guy wearing 3 of those vanguard things. Fucking money well spent.
Eugene
Sleepuls

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:03 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Hirmuinen wrote:
Right on. Bow to Drow Ranger bitches.

I saw atat wearing 3 of those vanguard things. Fucking money well spent.

Fixed that for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Dota 2 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: