Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
upgrading computer/new build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Computer Tech Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hirmuinen
CT Certified Sales Rep.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:31 am 
Post subject: upgrading computer/new build
Top Reply with quote

my current set which im saving for the new one:

-2X ati 4850 hd
-psu 750 w
-hdds

what i want is i7 and new memory ddr3 and motherboard that supports these new things.

Couple of questions, will my power be enough for all of these and will be radeons be a big bottleneck to the i7?

Also vista sucks, can i just install win7 over it without the need to reformat or anything?
ChrisT
John Jameson
<font color=#50C5FF><b>John Jameson</b></font>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:11 pm 
Post subject: Re: upgrading computer/new build
Top Reply with quote

Hirmuinen wrote:
Also vista sucks, can i just install win7 over it without the need to reformat or anything?

Assuming you have disks/keys
Yes, but why? A reformat won't take much longer and would provide a cleaner install. Also you can do everything from the Win 7 bootdisk so it requires minimal extra effort.
Hirmuinen
CT Certified Sales Rep.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:43 am 
Top Reply with quote

ChrisT wrote:
Hirmuinen wrote:

Yes, but why? A reformat won't take much longer and would provide a cleaner install. Also you can do everything from the Win 7 bootdisk so it requires minimal extra effort.

I dont know i have never done it, will it destroy every file on my hd?

Also one more question whats the difference between i5 and i7 processors. On specs they look pretty close but the price is higher on the other.
massive
Captain Ass Kicking Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:26 pm 
Top Reply with quote

Hirmuinen wrote:
ChrisT wrote:
Hirmuinen wrote:

I dont know i have never done it, will it destroy every file on my hd?

Also one more question whats the difference between i5 and i7 processors. On specs they look pretty close but the price is higher on the other.

Yes a format will destroy every file - but why not just buy a new Hard disk since you're spending money already. Even if you buy a small one (i.e. 750GB - 1TB easily under $100) Then you can always connect the old HD to copy files over and save as a backup.

i7s are SO much faster than i5s - Major feature difference of i5 vs i7 is Hyperthreading is disabled on most i5s. Hyperthreading actually makes Windows think there's 8 processors on an i7 when in reality there are only 4 on all i7s.

The best i7 Bang for Buck IMO is the Intel Core i7-2600K @ 3.40GHz you'll be able to get for under $300. Check out this site for Processor rankings: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php Pay attention to CPU value to get a great deal.

I would get a K series i5 or i7 (ie. i2600K) because they have unlocked multipliers for easy overclocking.
Hirmuinen
CT Certified Sales Rep.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:58 am 
Top Reply with quote

massive wrote:

i7s are SO much faster than i5s - Major feature difference of i5 vs i7 is Hyperthreading is disabled on most i5s. Hyperthreading actually makes Windows think there's 8 processors on an i7 when in reality there are only 4 on all i7s.

The best i7 Bang for Buck IMO is the Intel Core i7-2600K @ 3.40GHz you'll be able to get for under $300. Check out this site for Processor rankings: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php Pay attention to CPU value to get a great deal.

Thanks very helpful. I was wondering which i7 processor to chooce because there are so many of them, I will go with the i7 2600k then.
RCSI
The YARR Master
The YARR Master

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:01 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

If you do a lot of threaded intensive tasks (video encoding/rendering/etc.) then get the 2600k, otherwise get the 2500k and apply the extra you would save toward some other component.
massive
Captain Ass Kicking Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:18 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

RCSI wrote:
If you do a lot of threaded intensive tasks (video encoding/rendering/etc.) then get the 2600k, otherwise get the 2500k and apply the extra you would save toward some other component.

Booooo! Laughing
ChrisT
John Jameson
<font color=#50C5FF><b>John Jameson</b></font>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:24 pm 
Top Reply with quote

massive wrote:
Yes a format will destroy every file - but why not just buy a new Hard disk since you're spending money already. Even if you buy a small one (i.e. 750GB - 1TB easily under $100) Then you can always connect the old HD to copy files over and save as a backup.

Best approach IMO. You could even do 2x250 GBs and put them in a RAID0 for super cheap (under $100).

Just a quick (first pass) search and I found this 500GB:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136769
That would give you a pretty fast 1TB drive
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Computer Tech Section All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: