Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
digital distribution services
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Aladdin's Castle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hirmuinen
CT Certified Sales Rep.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:54 am 
Post subject: digital distribution services
Top Reply with quote

I know a lot of here uses Steam and all, but what other services are you using?

I have been using Gamersgate lately and they have improved the thing quite a lot. Theres now 50% discounts everyday and currently theres two 50% offs(Stalker clear sky and World if Conflict complete) and one 60%(Men of war). Yesterday there was Mount and Blade 50% off, too. I bought Civ4 from there this other day and Hearts of Iron complete both 50% off.

You can download them as many times as possible and the best part is that you don't need to use any proqram to play the games.
RK-Mara
Uber Dick Wad

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:27 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I've used GOG on a few occasions but other than that, I stick to Steam. I prefer it when I have everything neatly in one client.
theboomboom
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:58 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I've used both the EA and the IGN client, and what I've found is in a matter of months the games that were available exclusively with those two services showed up on steam, so I'm stickin with steam from here on out. Makes everything simpler.

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Xfire Username MSN Messenger
Hirmuinen
CT Certified Sales Rep.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:18 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

There are some nice deals at Direct 2 Drive:

http://www.direct2drive.com/d2dturns5

Games like CoH gold(both CoH's package), Bioshock, World in conflict complete and Hearts of Iron2 complete. All for 5$ each

Mirrors Edge and Red Alert 3 5£/5€ for Europeans.

Direct 2 Drive is slow though. Downloading Mirrors Edge and it won't just download faster than 300-350kb/s, which is not even half what I could do.
anonymousity
Stealth's Wench
Stealth's Wench

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:06 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I had some bad experience with the EA downloads manager, twice has it disallowed me to play a title I purchased due to some registration error in their system. Since I've used Steam for basically everything, and D2D for some games that Steam doesn't have.

Check out this article on what some Gearbox developers have been saying about Steam/Valve.

http://kotaku.com/5376708/gearbox-prez-lets-off-some-steam-about-valve
Hirmuinen
CT Certified Sales Rep.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:08 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

anonymousity wrote:

Check out this article on what some Gearbox developers have been saying about Steam/Valve.

http://kotaku.com/5376708/gearbox-prez-lets-off-some-steam-about-valve

Yeah kinda screwed situation there. Valve being the competitor and starting to get big games rights to distribute(Fear2, DoW2, Empire TW...). Monopoly status, which is never really a good option if you are looking for best products. You can see this with Steam and how Valve runs it, they don't have dedicated people running the program and no Europe/other office where they would have people working on it. So if theres a problem with Steam it will only be worked really late other than NA area or during weekend you would have to wait till late monday.

Partly why I have started to look and try other services and so far Gamersgate is the only one I would use besides Steam(and my games woudn't be tied to single platform that could be stolen/closed). Steam is bad, but still miles better than any competitor when it comes to download speed and usability.

Right now the D2D downloader goes on 100kb/s.
Messy Recipe
El Gran Capitán
<b>El Gran Capitán</b>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:37 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Impulse
Vlad Piranha
Dictator-Elect
Dictator-Elect

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:00 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I've heard that Blizzard has some sort of system where you can register your games and download the full versions of them at any time, sort of like Steam.
RK-Mara
Uber Dick Wad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:48 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Vlad Piranha wrote:
I've heard that Blizzard has some sort of system where you can register your games and download the full versions of them at any time, sort of like Steam.

Yeah, you just have to register your games on Battle.net and after that they are free for you to download.
Hirmuinen
CT Certified Sales Rep.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:09 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

East India Company for 5$. Lasts for this week.

I'm tempted to get this one, but there are very mixed reviews of it. Then again this is a pc game that is being patched and updated, so the small problems might not be there anymore...

Review after patches.
Quote:

Mikrobitti, magazine: 5/5

"Empire: Total War rewrote naval strategy gaming, but East India Company leaves ETW way behind. If you liked ETW, you're going to love EIC, which is first strategy game since Civilization IV to have more or less all the pieces come together."

"Functional economy, spectacular naval battles and excellent AI make East India Company a game that future naval-RTS games are going to be compared to. Must buy for a friend of quality games.
"

Erwin Rommel
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:25 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Dude, it's 5 bucks. I've wasted 5 on far worse things.
RK-Mara
Uber Dick Wad

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:52 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I'm not sure how trustworthy Mikrobitti is when it comes to game reviews. Tapio Berschewsky is a good editor but the new editor-in-chief doesn't give a damn about games. Kind of makes sense with Pelit (Games) magazine belonging to the same company. And according to Pelit, Nitro Games is working hard on patching up the game and the best of all, they are listening to the customers.

Anyhow, like Erwin said, it's just $5. I spend as much on a single beer in downtown clubs.
Erwin Rommel
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:20 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I bought it and tried it out in-between being busy with everything else imaginable.

It seems drier than the TW games. It has a much larger focus on the economic end of things.

The beginning, at least, is a bit boring. You have a single fleet of ships and sail back and forth with goods, (hopefully) making a profit. Eventually you get to unlock bigger ships and so on. I didn't get too far past the first part, so I can't really comment on it. I don't know if I'd pay retail for it, but it's worth $5 for sure.

The naval combat doesn't seem quite as intuitive as ETW, but it's not bad.
Hirmuinen
CT Certified Sales Rep.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:34 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

THQ 50% off week

Games like Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl 5$, Company of Heroes gold 5$, Red Faction Guerrilla 20$, Warhammer 40k Dawn of War Platinum 7,5$...

Edit. Just bought Stalker again, downloading at 800+ kb/s. Much faster than D2D.

Some nice Stalker mods to improve/change graphics and experience: STALKER Complete 2009 and L.U.R.K., latter one being the gameplay/game changing one.
Hirmuinen
CT Certified Sales Rep.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:50 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Team Fortress 2 for 2,49$ at Steam it will end in couple of hours.

Aaaaand it's over :>
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Aladdin's Castle All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: