Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
Top 5 Boss Battles

View previous topic :: View next topic  
K9 Carlos
Old Fart
Old Fart

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:47 pm 
Post subject: Top 5 Boss Battles
Top Reply with quote

From MSNBC, http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19082757/

Quote:
Top 5 boss battles

The first video games to hit the scene were simple. Like pinball, these early games had no predetermined ending point and the amount of points you could rack up seemed endless.

But it wasn't long before complex story lines, new and different levels, and bigger "boss battles" were introduced. A boss battle, which usually occurs at the end of a level or at the end of a game, pits the player against a powerful enemy. Winning the battle gives the player a sense of accomplishment and pride. Losing, of course, is a sore spot for the hapless gamer who just can't get past the pesky boss.

These are our favorite boss battles. Read the list and then tell us your favorites.

Quote:
Ganon from 'The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time'

Link, the hero in the "Zelda" series, is no stranger to Ganon, as he gets to battle him often. But their battle at the end of "Ocarina of Time" was one for the ages, thanks to the bait-and-switch Nintendo pulled on us all.
The battle with the human Ganondorf seemed so simple that it was almost anti-climatic to save the princess and run from the crumbling castle. It was easy almost too easy to be the end of a "Zelda" game.

Up from the ruins rose Ganon, looking more ferocious than ever, and instantly you knew this game was far from over. That epic clash, fought while fires burned and lightning crashed, helped to define the boss battle.

Quote:
Psycho Mantis from 'Metal Gear Solid'
Konamis Metal Gear series has had its fair share of great bosses, but our favorite has to be Psycho Mantis from "Metal Gear Solid." This gas-mask wearing nut case was definitely an original.

First of all, Psycho was a mind reader who could predict your attacks. He could even take control of another character and get her to attack you too. In short, a tough boss and difficult to beat.

But the best part was that Psycho Mantis could really mess with you. He could rumble our controllers at will, and read our memory cards and comment on other games wed played. And just for fun, hed turn the screen black as if the game had suddenly crashed.

Yeah, he was a fun and creepy rival

Quote:
Hydra from 'God of War'
Battling Hydra in Sonys "God of War" was like battling multiple bosses at once, because this sea snake had three heads and they were all on the attack.

And these heads were huge! The size alone made you wonder just how to kill them. And when you finally do by impaling the lead head on a mast of a ship youre bound to feel more relieved than rewarded.

Hydra breaks the boss battle rules a bit by showing up early in the game rather than at the end. But boy, what a way to start a game!

Quote:
Sephiroth from "Final Fantasy VII"
Sephiroth pops up in a few different titles, and whenever you see him you know youre in for a fun fight. But our favorite is his appearance in Square Enix's "Final Fantasy VII."

This battle is not entirely different from others in the series, but the game's intricate storyline makes it special. This boss battle was so good that the player couldn't help but to get drawn in. That investment meant the battle meant more than just getting to the end of a level winning this one meant revenge.

Quote:
Akuma from 'Karateka'
If youre old enough to remember the Apple IIe, you probably remember Broderbunds "Karateka." This great side-scrolling fighting game had you rescuing your princess from Akuma, who had taken her captive and hidden her deep inside his fortress. To get to her, you had to battle Akumas minions one by one eventually leading to the boss himself.

Even though the game was relatively short, this final battle felt epic because of everything you went through to get there: the numerous guards, the booby-trapped gates and that dang squawking bird! Akuma's pet could peck you to death so quickly. Whats more, you only had one life, and no save feature. Screw up and you had to start the game all over again.

The real kicker? After you defeated Akuma you had to run into the princesss arms to finish the game. If you walked up to her in a fighting stance, she would deliver a swift blow that would kill you instantly that blow has to rank as one of gaming's most soul-crushing moments, ever.

SupaFly wrote:
barreling axe is like throwing a hot dog down a hallway these days

Quote:
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.

User-posted image
User-posted image
User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Xfire Username Yahoo Messenger
CountChocula
Warning- may cause CountChoculitis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:36 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I've played all those battles except I've never even heard of the last one... probably because I'm too young... but Psycho Mantis definitely needed to be higher.
[20:43] -≠∫ĆŤ∫≠- ŜρξčļαГ јỈмMﻻ: we'll aim for bender
[20:43] -≠∫ĆŤ∫≠- ŜρξčļαГ јỈмMﻻ: but use a lot of napalm
Bunny
Chips' Wench

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:58 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

That last one is pretty funny Laughing

I heart God of War.
Drunken Monkey
Hooked.On.Phonics

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:21 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

i have never played any of those games Sad

if You Ain't Tracks, You Ain't Shit
Comradekil
Helmsman
Helmsman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:27 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I felt rather accomplished defeating my rival in the final pokemon battle on pokemon blue oh man it was a good fight
Cpt. LandLubber
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:12 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I always thought LeChuck as a zombie in MI 2 was pretty tough (not kidding). I had no idea what to do and was too stubborn to find a walkthrough.

Ahhh, I get so nostalgic whenever I think about Monkey Island <3

Monkey Island theme for other nostalgics
Atomiktoaster
Sailor
Sailor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:55 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Psycho Mantis was a lot of fun, but not hard if you knew the right trick. I have to agree on Sephi and Ganon (in pretty much any edition of Zelda).
JaFaR
Sailor
Sailor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:01 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Cpt. LandLubber wrote:
I always thought LeChuck as a zombie in MI 2 was pretty tough (not kidding). I had no idea what to do and was too stubborn to find a walkthrough.

Ahhh, I get so nostalgic whenever I think about Monkey Island <3

Monkey Island theme for other nostalgics

Rhyming insults in "three sheets to the wind", anyone?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: