Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
WoW ain't addictive
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gen. Death
Bum in a Box
Bum in a Box

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:34 pm 
Post subject: WoW ain't addictive
Top Reply with quote

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5327497459334792260&q=%5Bepix%5D&hl=en

That made me think
Rolling Eyes

It has some good arguements

and the guy who is explaining everything,
I know him, and I played with him on my realm (server)
The wronging of the past must be made right in the present.
GotMilk? wrote:
The ones I would recruit are not the ones going "HOW DOES I JOIN TC?!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Xfire Username MSN Messenger
Stealth
▲RAWR TRIANGLE RAWR▲

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:39 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

First thing watching him, his actions and stances were not swaying me in his favor. He was very passive. He had excelent word choices, but overall it wasn't that great.

He's mainly talking about why people play. Not really the actual addicted people...

They say it's "addiction" not because of how many hours you play, but if you NEED it. Your brain codes itself to need the game. Ever get pissed and throw a controller on the ground because you were pissed at something you did in a game. That's being too close to the game and is a minor form of addiction.

He meantioned Playing Space Invaders for hours on end and that no one would play for hours. My mom did that. She played it everyday by herself.

He also said playing a video game is a hobby like playing golf etc. That may be true, but he doesn't address that it can be addictive like anything else.

Example: 40 Year Old Virgin. He collected action figures. If you touched them and tried to pull them out of their boxes, he would explode. One because they were valuable, but the main reason was the fact they were his "comfort." He NEEDED those collectables. His gf had to talk him out of him and even in the process he complained that she was making sell his things and that it made him uncomfortable.

I've gotten into it for about 16 mins so far and I may check the rest later. But he basically restates the same things from what I've seen and doesn't give very good examples to back it up.

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bender
The First Bi-Sexual (mostly gay) Robot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:54 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

wow, this guy seemed to change his argument of proving how WoW isn't addictive, to just proving how bad the media is very quickly, and it seemed to me how he was explaining how people could get addicted to WoW, and that it's fine to embrace it. That is his opinion, but it has nothing to do with proving whether the game is addictive or not.

Some of his examples are pretty dumb too. He compares someone practicing basketball night and day to someone playing WoW, but he gets mad that the gamer will be called an "addict", and the baller is a "sportsman". Well in the end he is just proving the ignorance of the public i guess, because practicing basketball all day would make you addicted to basketball, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. So basically he proves how both of them are addictive, that still doesn't show how WoW isn't addictive.

And then another example is him going to a bar every week, and how that differs from him meeting some ppl at some volcano to talk in wow. It seems to me he again completely missed the point he was trying to prove, as that is more like tradition and not addiction (there is a difference)

Plus, he points out how you don't need to do anything in the game, and there is no drive, which is false to get you hooked. If there is no drive for people they won't play the game, and it will fail. Blizzard wants you to play the game a lot, and continue the experience.

His talking then gets to deciding on how WoW is like a community, and who that isn't wrong. I don't really see this as a wrong thing, and then he goes on to say if it is addictive or not again, he is trying to prove how this game is not addictive by proving how other things that we have become addicted to have been accepted and it is no different from WoW.

Now im not gonna post anymore things as I watch because I'm pretty sure im regurgatating a lot, and i have a feeling he's going to prove the same thing over and over, proving how being addicted to WoW is a fine thing

BTW The issue he should be acknowledging is that the game seems to be so compelling that someone plays it, likes it, and bam- addiction
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Xfire Username MSN Messenger
Gen. Death
Bum in a Box
Bum in a Box

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:33 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

In the end he has a documentary about a kid who plays WoW,

You can't hear it very good so Ill paste that docu here so you know what is said in that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bffnx86IEpU
The wronging of the past must be made right in the present.
GotMilk? wrote:
The ones I would recruit are not the ones going "HOW DOES I JOIN TC?!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Xfire Username MSN Messenger
RK-Mara
Uber Dick Wad

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:09 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

He has some good points, but it's still addictive. Some people can only think about WoW and can't stop playing.
Raed
Stoned Angry Gamer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:13 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

What a dumb game in the first place.
Stealth
▲RAWR TRIANGLE RAWR▲

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:20 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

The best arguments are debated arguments. He would have been more persuasive if another person had been there countering. All he would have to do is to win or at least match his competitor.

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kordoba
Sailor
Sailor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:47 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Stealth wrote:
The best arguments are debated arguments. He would have been more persuasive if another person had been there countering. All he would have to do is to win or at least match his competitor.

Jack Thompson versus Adam Sessler? Very Happy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmJ7IXeqG7k
Stealth
▲RAWR TRIANGLE RAWR▲

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:07 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I wish Jack Thompson would die.

User-posted image
Hirmuinen
CT Certified Sales Rep.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:28 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Stealth wrote:
I wish Jack Thompson would die.

Really?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM7cwLTSnkQ&eurl=
Stealth
▲RAWR TRIANGLE RAWR▲

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:14 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Jack Thompson doesn't ban video games because they are "bad" he does it for the money and the "bad" side of it may be a minor thing he believes in, but it's not why he's an attorney.

If he won every case and removed all the gore/slasher games. He would attack Mario Party for hitting people over the head with a hammer. I guarentee it.

I just feel bad for his son as he'll never play those awesome games such as Halo because they are "too violent."

User-posted image
Bender
The First Bi-Sexual (mostly gay) Robot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:50 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

lol i love how ppl own this guy

like when he said how Britain has a law to not sell m rated games to kids along with their constitution or written law, and sessler owns him on it (cause i believe that Britain has unwritten common law or something)

and then on the other person is like how do you explain that crime in youth has gone down or something, and hes like thats not true...even though that guy has the friggen stats right there

and btw what was hirms point posting that video and saying really?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Xfire Username MSN Messenger
Stealth
▲RAWR TRIANGLE RAWR▲

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:43 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I think he was agreeing with me and then emphasized more shit he's done.

User-posted image
ChrisT
John Jameson
<font color=#50C5FF><b>John Jameson</b></font>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:33 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

abc made him look like an ass
Phantom_Shadow
Sailor
Sailor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:19 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

i dont have time to watch the movie, but i can attest to the fact that wow is addictive. its the only game where i've played to 3 am.

that probly why i havent been seen for a while... well, that, school and my girlfriend

EDIT: also a guy in my guild's fiance broke up with him over WOW
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: