Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
Announcing the "Three Mans" tournament
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:56 pm 
Post subject: Announcing the "Three Mans" tournament
Top Reply with quote

w00t! It's good to be back Very Happy

So I wanted to come back with a bit of a bang and have something big to kick things off, and this is why I'm annoucing a new and totally different style of tournament - Three Mans.

What the fuck is "Three Mans" ???

The Three Mans tournament will work as follows:
- Teams are comprised of three and ONLY three players. There are no reserves or subs. Therefore, matches will be played 3v3.

- The tournament style is, AFAIK totally new to BFP, it is an "open ladder challenge". To gain points and rank, teams challenge other teams to matches on any regular BFP map they choose and play. Teams earn points and go up in rank depending upon the rank of the team that they beat.

- There will not be externally scheduled or regular matches. Teams play other teams whenever they wish to or whenever they can. They can also play as many matches in sequence as they want on whatever map in whatever game mode.

- There will be a "scoring deadline" when the tournament ends. Whoever is in first place at that time is the winner.

What can you do?

Well for a start you can begin to talk amongst friends and form some teams among yourself. I'm already playing with Jabber and Logohere if we get this thing going.

The reason I chose 3v3 is because smaller teams will allow for more teams and more play overall, coupled with the open challenge ladder system, which I think will work better than prescheduled matches.

I need some help from the smart tourney guys who usually organize shit. If BFPE is still around, I'd be glad for a lot of help organizing this. No clue what to do about admins or anything.

The scoring/ranking system will take a lot of thinking because as I said, it is not a straight up points victory - your wins are weighted depending upon the standing of the team you play. Not only will that be tough to figure out the minute specifics, but it's also going to be tricky to create a way to figure out how people will be scored when shit kicks off and everyone is neutral.

Please don't post team signups here, but feel free to discuss them with others. Thanks in advance!!!
GotMilk?
Shaniqua

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:55 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

You. Own. kthnx
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Xfire Username
Brutus
BuffNerd
BuffNerd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:02 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

3 on 3 on what maps? Kinda limited...

Not sure how the ladder thing will work - can you splain more? Liek with examples for the elderly. Wink

I was thinking small teams too but make people work with other squads on a rotating basis. Like week 1 team a + team b vs teams c+d. Weak 2 a+c v b+e. I know this gets huge exponentially but we wouldnt have to do all variations.

Then it would be like 6 vs 6, and good on more maps - though I was actually thinking 4 man teams origianlly cuz 8 v 8 is pretty cool games on most maps. Combo-teams would build comms/freindships between people that dont usually chat... And new guys dont get discouraged cuz they get a chance to win sometimes with good folks.
Special Jimmy
Neo-Kaufmanist
Neo-Kaufmanist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:17 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Ownific idea, no doubt. 3 guys to a team is the best kind we could have in the mod. In previous tournaments, teams of 5+ have always found themselves unreliable, or unorganized. 3 people is more of a team effort. I love it.

But more specifics should be taken, I mean, that's how all these tournaments wrong themselves, people confuse the small things, turn them into big things, and it ruins the fun for everyone. Let's not let that happen, agreed?
Wang Chung wrote:
MikeSty 22: they say Rome wasn't built in a day
MikeSty 22: but they never had the Fucking Cut Throats
CountChocula
Warning- may cause CountChoculitis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:35 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

yeah, I already told him that if he could pull this off, it'd own so very, very much..

I was thinking new maps for the tourney, but wang sez no.. though I think some of brudio's new maps would own it (atlantis, .... that other one with the impregnable church, etc)
[20:43] -≠∫ĆŤ∫≠- ŜρξčļαГ јỈмMﻻ: we'll aim for bender
[20:43] -≠∫ĆŤ∫≠- ŜρξčļαГ јỈмMﻻ: but use a lot of napalm
Bunny
Chips' Wench

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:39 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Special Jimmy wrote:
But more specifics should be taken, I mean, that's how all these tournaments wrong themselves, people confuse the small things, turn them into big things, and it ruins the fun for everyone. Let's not let that happen, agreed?

Agreed, and it's a great idea Wang, I'm sure people will be glad to see a new event
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:19 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

3 on 3 is probably our best bet. On ANY map that the two teams agree to play on that is in the BFP. We can add official maps, but my point is, I don't want teams to pull a truly custom map out of their buttcheeks and expect people to play them on it. I'm all for new official maps though. But allowing people to challenge others on ANY map removes the whole "this map sucks mantra". If you don't like the map, attempt to renegotiate, or just don't fucking play.

Jimmy pretty much hit the nail on the head with the 3v3 deal, and I'm glad a lot of people are getting my point. Instead of playing 5v5's with ridiculous horde rosters, we get a LOT more matches and teams at the cost of two active players and all the bench players, and I think it's a good tradeoff.

Here is the initial draft for the ladder system:

1) There will be 5 weeks of play total.
2) The first week will be "prelims" which will determine your rank in the regular season. In the season, your initial rank depends on your prelim win%. For the prelims we will set a minimum and maximum # of matches, so a team can't win ONE challenge and say "perfect!" and call it quits. I'm thinking min of 3 and max of 5-6. Hopefully we can get this done in 5 days and then solve potential ties on the weekends
3) Regular season lasts one month, and teams are given their preliminary rank order. Score means nothing - only wins count because of different modes of play
4) Algorithm is created to determine your rank after challenging and winning against a team of another rank.
logohere

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:05 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

YARRR!

User-posted image
K9 Carlos
Old Fart
Old Fart

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:01 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

This for just us or for the whole community? If for everyone, need to get it posted up on BFPE and BFP.

SupaFly wrote:
barreling axe is like throwing a hot dog down a hallway these days

Quote:
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.

User-posted image
User-posted image
User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Xfire Username Yahoo Messenger
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:48 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

K9 Carlos wrote:
This for just us or for the whole community? If for everyone, need to get it posted up on BFPE and BFP.

Everyone. I'm just making a "preliminary annoucement" to get some feedback <3
Jabberwocky
Helmsman
Helmsman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:20 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

if you guys want, i can work up a database system with a php script and maybe even a nice looking frontend for this thing, so teams can go on the website, report their matches, and see the current rankings of all the teams. Once we figure out how to calculate the rankings, i can program a script that will do it automatically every time a match is reported.
K9 Carlos
Old Fart
Old Fart

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:30 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Jabberwocky wrote:
if you guys want, i can work up a database system with a php script and maybe even a nice looking frontend for this thing, so teams can go on the website, report their matches, and see the current rankings of all the teams. Once we figure out how to calculate the rankings, i can program a script that will do it automatically every time a match is reported.

Your hired. And Wang, good idea.

SupaFly wrote:
barreling axe is like throwing a hot dog down a hallway these days

Quote:
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.

User-posted image
User-posted image
User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Xfire Username Yahoo Messenger
Bender
The First Bi-Sexual (mostly gay) Robot

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:41 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

yes cool

2:50 AM - -=|CT|=- Dr. Crunk: whenever a girl is like "oh what are you thinking about"
2:50 AM - -=|CT|=- Dr. Crunk: i say nothing cause saying dudes wouldn't go over well

3:34 PM - El.Tawxic: I wish I was a horse
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Xfire Username MSN Messenger
Roscoe
Sailor
Sailor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:53 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

very good idea, this will be awsome! Cool
Brutus
BuffNerd
BuffNerd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:03 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Details are in the bag... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Site News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: