Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
E3 impressions thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Aladdin's Castle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCSI
The YARR Master
The YARR Master

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:05 am 
Post subject: E3 impressions thread
Top Reply with quote

I'm heading off to E3, I'll post any impressions for things I try here.
RCSI
The YARR Master
The YARR Master

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:25 am 
Post subject: Control VR
Top Reply with quote

I got to try Control VR yesterday paired with the DK1. Having only used the Oculus Rift two times so far, I thought using my hands in a virtual space was comparable to the experience of the OR. There was some discernible latency in tracking your arms, but it was bad to use at all. I tried the Moon demo that they had in their Kickstarter video, with my guest and me moving about among the lunar rover, flag, decent stage of the lunar module, and the SEV. I then learned the concept of virtual buttons I can physically move my finger to and press. One of the Control VR guys there kept saying something like, "Use your right arm to press the bottom buttons." I thought he kept mentioning the Wii movement controller, yet nothing was happening. I finally picked up on the buttons on the left side of my arms, suddenly to turn on the song Livin' in the Sunlight, Lovin' in the Moonlight. Another button, amongst three, launched tennis balls. Best experience I've had while gaming, even if it was for 15 minutes. As for the Wii controller, I could enable thruster packs hover above the moons surface, which was fun.
RCSI
The YARR Master
The YARR Master

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:26 am 
Post subject: Oculus Rift DK2
Top Reply with quote

Demo: Alien: Isolation
Tried the DK2 for all of 30 seconds before the demo ended. Also, considering this is my first time with the OR, the impression will be long, for prosperity sake. My absolute first impressions was this: Oh, alright, this is good. Some things to note, considering the venue for trying the DK2, there really was no time to adjust the headset, thus my FOV was not very high. As such, I could easily see the edge of the screen without even trying. However, I expected this, so this really is no fault of the hardware itself.

The DK2 was put onto my head, with no adjustment, unfortunately the demo froze the first time around and the representative had opened two instances of Aliens afterward. Luckily technical support fixed the problem. The demo opened with an overview screen, getting you familiar with the scanner layout and how to tell a Xenomorph is approaching. This is set on a 2D virtual screen, which I thought was nice. With the demo working, I started off in a small room already looking around the room, I was ahead of the representative explaining how I can look around, I barged into the next room. At this point I looked around, noticing the dead body laying up next to a cart and barrels. At this point I remembered to test leaning in, finally taking the time to look at the my characters tiny arms holding the scanner, including the scanner itself. After trying this, I briefly noticed the screen door effect, however during the course of the demo, it was not something that immediately popped out at me. I started to proceed down corridors with rotating lights and pipes breaking, venting steam, until I came to a junction. I could either go right, through a closed door, or I could go down another hallway to the right. I went right, which was a bad idea, as a Xenomorph was at the end of the corridor, so I immediately went right back to the door, button mashing the four right buttons until the door popped open. Only I was too late, I turned to my left, with the Alien rushing toward me and grabbed me. The Xenomorph was large as I was starring directly at its chest. During this encounter I physically moved back in a fit of hysterical laughter, shouting "Get back, get back!" while flailing my hand in in the air. Then the demo ended. I can only assume the demo was built specifically for the OR to test the waters, so the demo did not feel like it will be representative of the retail game.

From what I can remember, control was really good, at least from my short play through. Apart from being able to look around, I could look around using the right thumbstick as well, and move with the character through space on the left thumbstick.
RCSI
The YARR Master
The YARR Master

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:31 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Short write up of Fable Legends, but the set up was four heroes againsnt a villian. I was the villian, haha! It was like a simple RTS game, with predetermined pawn spawns, I think. However, I could change the placement of mines in pre-round. During the game I could control which special moves I could use among the 4 units I had. I could also move them anywhere else as well. The goal is to wipe out the hero onslaught, of which I managed to do with careful timings of set wooden walls I could move up or down to surprise the heroes. Overall, it was fun, especially in light of a developer guiding me through the process.
RCSI
The YARR Master
The YARR Master

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:47 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Tried out Project Morpheus to see how it compares to Oculus Rift DK1 and DK2. I got paired with Eve: Valkyrie. Initial impressions where that the sub-pixel arrangement compared to DK2 was better (LCD vs pentile OLED), however it blurred worse when compared to the DK1 for quick head movements. I felt the DK1 was better in the blur department, as it didn't do so heavily. Field of view was the lowest among the three headsets as well. If I were to compare the headsets as standalone devices, just paired to a controller, then my ranking would be DK2>PM>DK1 If Sony manages to include the motion controllers along with the headsets, then out of the box my ranking may be PM>DK2>DK1 Unfortunately I did not go back to try out PM for the Knight demo, as they were handing out fast-pass like tickets for certain times capping at ~350-400 per day.

After trying Control VR, I feel hand control in future VR titles will be the major addition to solidifying many VR applications. They really add so much to the experience of VR. While it is not needed for every demo, such as flight sims and other joystick-like experiences, it definitely adds on to the immersion factor. I don't see motion control for hands making it within the first rounds of consumer VR except for Sony's solution, but it will need to be added or extended into the second round of VR applications.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Aladdin's Castle All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: