Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
Free copy of CKII for any CT who wants it

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Aladdin's Castle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erwin Rommel
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:45 pm 
Post subject: Free copy of CKII for any CT who wants it
Top Reply with quote

I just got a free copy of Crusader Kings 2 for pre-ordering Europa Universalis IV.

I already have it, so I'd be willing to gift it for anyone who wants to play it.
Hirmuinen
CT Certified Sales Rep.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:07 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

If no one else takes it, I'm interested in it.
Erwin Rommel
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:42 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Well no one else has commented, I'll get it to you next time we're both online.
Hirmuinen
CT Certified Sales Rep.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:13 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Man this game is hard.

Recommend me some faction to start with, some that arabs don't utterly destroy me. As Byzantium which I have tried multiple times, I can't rise big enough army to counter the early pressure. Theres just too many of them.
Erwin Rommel
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:41 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Byzantium is very hard since you simultaneously need to worry about internal and external struggles. The Muslims will eat you alive at the first sign of weakness, though they are also happy to fight each other.

Ireland is usually the recommendation for beginners. It's often called "tutorial island". Start as some Duke (or count, if you're feeling ambitious), fabricate a couple of claims on your neighbors and arrange some marriages with nearby rulers. Within a couple generations, you should be able to take over half the island, and then you can declare yourself king of Ireland. This will give you De Jure claims over the rest. Most will actually swear loyalty if you ask.

Now focus on Scotland or England (the latter only if they are still weak from war). You can try to get a claim on their throne through marriage (did I mention making good marriages is important?), or try to pick them off duchy-by-duchy. When you control 80% of the British isles, you can declare yourself Emperor of Britannia

Ireland is good at the 1066 start since no one really cares about you. The vikings are long gone, and England is too embroiled in its own three-way war to worry about you.

------

A couple of general pieces of advice:

1. If you haven't picked it up yet, there is a basic chain of command:

Baron<Count<Duke<King<Emperor

Each can swear loyalty to any of the ones above. Kings will almost never swear loyalty to emperors, but emperors can create vassal kings. You can't play as a baron, and why would you even want to?

2. Make sure that you always have good council members. A good council lessens the sting of having a terrible character. Invite characters to your court if you need to.

3. Wars always have a specific goal. Winning the war will get the aggressor that goal, and nothing else. This is not Total War, or even Europa Universalis.

4. Try to marry your daughters to people matrilinearly. This means the children will be of her dynasty. This is probably the single best way of getting people in your dynasty to have claims.

Try to keep careful control of your inheritance laws:

There are four basic styles of inheritance available to Christian feudal lords (Pagans, Muslims, and Merchant Republics all get their own things)

Gavelkind = Divided among your children
    Primogeniture = Oldest child gets it (usually son, but it depends on your gender laws)
    Seniority = Oldest member of you dynasty gets it
    Elective = Your major vassals get together and elect the next ruler

As a beginner, I would recommend getting to Primogeniture ASAP. You will probably start at Gavelkind, and that means your realm will tend to break apart with each ruler's death. This is historically accurate in many cases (Charlemagne's grandsons, for instance), but very hard to control.

Seniority will mean that you constantly have old rulers that die soon. This isn't very fun.

Elective is AWESOME once you know your way around the political game. Basically, you need to keep good relations with vassals and they will vote for your choice of heir. This way you can basically choose your successor explicitly. Even if all of your sons are terrible, maybe you have a great nephew.
Stealth
▲RAWR TRIANGLE RAWR▲

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:56 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Oh shit, you chose Byzantium Lol. I'm playing an Ironman Byz on EUIV right meow.

Easily one of the hardest nations to play in just about every Paradox game. Historically, they fell at the hands of the ottomans, so usually they have a handicap. Ottoman has a big army that steam rolls shit.

I'd also offer another tip. It goes hand in hand with what Erwin said, but it's important to know the titles.

City/Temple/Castle<County<Duchy<Kingdom<Empire

Try to find a group of a few counties together that is held by a Duchy. This is where the bulk of your levies will be raised. If you control all of it, no one can contest you here.

At the baron level, just give away your titles except for in this Duchy you have chose. Give away the county to a random person who hold no titles. It's the simplest way to keep them from being strong.

At the Duchy level, you can only have two Duchies. Usually, I only create two Duchies and refuse to make more if I'm not a king. If you give away a Duchy when you're not a king, you gave away that land to someone to form their own country essentially.

At the King level, I hold two duchies, and I give away any new Duchies I acquire by giving away one plot of land plus the duchy to a random person with no holdings.

Empires the same, but I usually only have two king titles and don't make any more.

Hopefully, You understand the De Jure thing.

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Erwin Rommel
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:08 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Stealth wrote:
At the Duchy level, you can only have two Duchies. Usually, I only create two Duchies and refuse to make more if I'm not a king. If you give away a Duchy when you're not a king, you gave away that land to someone to form their own country essentially.

At the King level, I hold two duchies, and I give away any new Duchies I acquire by giving away one plot of land plus the duchy to a random person with no holdings.

Empires the same, but I usually only have two king titles and don't make any more.

Doesn't the two duchy thing only apply to king and above? I was under the impression that a Duke could hold any number of duchies without a penalty. It never really comes up either way, since you usually can become a king at that point.

I know for a fact that an Emperor can hold any number of king titles. This gal was pretty badass in one of my games:

User-posted image
Erwin Rommel
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:32 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Stealth wrote:
Oh shit, you chose Byzantium Lol. I'm playing an Ironman Byz on EUIV right meow.

What are your opening moves for a Byzantium game?
Stealth
▲RAWR TRIANGLE RAWR▲

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:33 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Ah yeah, that's right. Been a while since I played.

If you're a Duke only, you can hold onto the titles. However, when you do that, you normally need to hold onto both the Duchy and one plot of land in the Duchy. Drop the land and you can't give away the Duchy unless it's to someone who holds the land. Or at least, I believe that was the problem when I did it.

As for Emperor, I usually avoid World domination, which is why I stick to just the two king titles.

For EUIV, the key to Byz is to get the Ottomans to fight the Mamluks. But before they can do that, you will be at war with them first. (It should note that I do not have the DLC)

I declared war on a small nation, Serbia immediately. Then, I held all of it's provinces. When I've conquered all of them, I declared war on the next adjacent nation, Wallachia. If ottomans haven't warned me already and joined them when I declared war on Wallachia, I'll take Wall's provinces and then Annex Serbia. Yay. Ottomans can't annex me now.

If they joined the war, I would wait with Serbia's provinces conquered and Ottomans can't annex me. I can also declare war on Bosvia and try to acquire their land with my forces in that area anyways.

Eventually, the war exhaustion will climb for the Ottos and Mamluks should take advantage of this. One of two things would then happen. Either Mamluks will declare war on the weakened Ottomans or the country will start to revolt. In my game, they revolted and I now own almost all the provinces to the West of Constantinople which defected to me. Year is 1462.

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hirmuinen
CT Certified Sales Rep.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:52 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I thought Byzantium would be rather easy to start with. Like already in war and fairly strong faction, not only would you be able to start fighting without too much political hassle, but also be a hub for crusades and so on. Plus Byzantium has always been very interesting not only because of the location, but as cultural mix between west and east.

Damn...Ireland.

How about Sweden? Weak neightbours and still can take part in wars. All while playing this song in the background: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wSBIaeHJ6w
Stealth
▲RAWR TRIANGLE RAWR▲

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:13 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

The bigger the nation, the more people you have to manage, the more internal revolts you have when your king dies.

I currently don't remember the size of Sweden, but if it's smallish, you're good. I'd play with a Duke at the most for now.

User-posted image
Erwin Rommel
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:01 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Hirmuinen wrote:
I thought Byzantium would be rather easy to start with. Like already in war and fairly strong faction, not only would you be able to start fighting without too much political hassle, but also be a hub for crusades and so on. Plus Byzantium has always been very interesting not only because of the location, but as cultural mix between west and east.

Damn...Ireland.

How about Sweden? Weak neightbours and still can take part in wars. All while playing this song in the background: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wSBIaeHJ6w

In 1066, Sweden is kind of interesting since it is still halfway pagan. The king is catholic, but his brother is a pagan duke who controls half the territory. Step 1 would be converting or deposing your brother. Even then, he still has a claim on the throne.

Incidentally, I tried playing as the pagan brother a couple times and the AI kicked my ass within a couple months every time.

Paralleling what Stealth said, there's no shame in starting as a duke who is a vassal of someone else. You could try a duke in France or the HRE. Both are far enough away from the Muslims that you won't get conquered (right away, anyway), and you can scheme to get the throne for yourself.
Stealth
▲RAWR TRIANGLE RAWR▲

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:00 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Erwin Rommel wrote:
Stealth wrote:

What are your opening moves for a Byzantium game?

I don't know if you've started on this yet, but they changed some of Byz's rules.

Athens is your vassal and he gets raped as soon as the ottomans declare war.
My new opening move is Trezibond(sp?). It has a core and it'll get you a place to hold a province.

Also, if you're at -3 stability, it forces you to accept any proposal from the ottomans (Probably something that was already there, but never was got -3). They still can't annex you, but will pretty much take Constantinople.

They removed the CB from Serbia, so you'll take that stab hit. You could still theoretically grab it's land(don't annex) and then immediately declare war on Bosnia and annex it's land. Ottomans wouldn't be able to get past Serbia to touch you.

User-posted image
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Aladdin's Castle All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: