Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
match making keeps you at 50% win rate?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hirmuinen
CT Certified Sales Rep.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:47 am 
Post subject: match making keeps you at 50% win rate?
Top Reply with quote

I read some Dota 2 forum and on one thread mutiple people posted similiar:
Quote:

I have 782 wins, 90% of which have been played alone.
To this day, my win rate doesn't go beyond 50%.
If you play alone, winning or losing is just a matter of luck.

Now of course if it matches you with people at same level so it's logical that you would have 50% rate, but the way it does it is that it adds couple of new players or lower tier players on to your team so you lose, vice versa matches you with much higher tier players.

I don't really know about this, but I have seen the same thing happening to me aswell. I had 6 win streak with decent games, weren't stomping or anything and then came the horrible matches where my team was outright destroyed and other bs games.

In these first 6 games this game is actually fun, not because of winning but because those were fun to play. And then comes the horrible games just to even you up, and that's when you are thinking should I just stop playing this all together. Not because losing matters, but ending up in games where all russian players are fucking hostile, angry and pinging on the map to a point you can't stand it anymore. Not fun.

It feels really strange compared to something like StarCraft 2 where you are constantly matched with pretty equal players(unless getting smurfed or some higher tier player who gets ranked for not playing for a while). But in Dota 2 it feels really inconsistent, I need to go through these horrible games to get back into the fun games, and that sucks.
atatme
Atatame Who?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:19 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

You must understand how difficult it is to create a ladder system in DOTA 2. Not only do they have smurfs, they have people playing in parties with vastly different skill variables, and its 5v5, so you have to find 5 players whose total skill variables are as close to even as possible. Plus, there are so many different regions, which means different metas. A skill variable of X in russia may not mean the same thing as a skill variable of X in China or North America. When you have people who click on every possible gateway because they don't care about lag/language issues and would rather just find games faster, then they make it even MORE difficult to figure this out. Starcraft has it easy, most people just play 1v1 and don't care if the 4v4 MM is less balanced than the 1v1 is
Eugene
Sleepuls

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:09 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Atatme pretty much hit it on the nose. I want to add that it is harder also because people stick to what works for them. So in SCII for example you will see someone stick with the same 2-3 starts that work for the matchup. In Dota2 with over one hundred heroes and different ways for them to interact and different roles it is harder to balance.

Sure you could have people queue up by roles but then what is keeping people from just picking a carry and queuing up as support.

All that being said: sometimes you have good games, sometimes you have bad games. The important thing is to keep playing.
Raed
Stoned Angry Gamer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:42 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

If I queue alone, I try to look up the top three heroes of each of the players on my team. If I see that they usually play top or bot lane heroes, I will go mid. If they usually play carries, I will go support/initiation. If you feel like you've been matched up with lower tier players, you should probably pick a support. It's much easier to play a carry than to properly play support, and supports are 100% of the time more beneficial to winning the game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Dota 2 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: