Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
Dishonored: Knife of Dunwall

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Aladdin's Castle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eugene
Sleepuls

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:48 am 
Post subject: Dishonored: Knife of Dunwall
Top Reply with quote

When I heard that the first DLC for Dishonored will be centered around Daud, the man who plunged the knife into the empress, I could not contain my excitement.

Daud was a character I grew to like, despite the small amount of interaction I had with him I wound up finding out that he has deep regrets for killing the Empress and I wound up sparing him on my 2nd playthrough.

Daud, is like Corvo. He has the same supernatural powers, but he commands a legion of supernatural assassins so he is instantly 100x more awesome.

So Knife of Dunwall picks up about 6 months after the beginning of Dishonored. After the death of the Empress you are told a name by the Outsider and so goes your quest to find out what the hell the name means. The journey takes you all over Dunwall, as you aim to eliminate key targets on your quest to find out what the hell is going on.

So what is new?

You get some cool new toys such as smoke grenades, stun mines, and a blink that pauses time. Not to mention you can go full lethal and have fun with so many fun abilities such as summoning assassins and just causing general mayhem.

The level design feels familiar but at the same time is given a new twist and you will wind up replaying a mission just to take in the sights. It seems Arcane Studios has learned from having 40% of the game take in the slums.

More sidemissions in the main missions including having to go around and grab stuff for Granny's recipes which are cool bits of black magic that reward you with a rune.

So what stayed the same?

Dunwall is Dunwall. The enemy didn't get any new toys to throw at you, at least none worth mentioning. You still have gadgets/blade/magic to help you navigate levels and the rune/bone talisman are still there. it is Dishonored with some new stuff added on.

So what changed?

While Dishonored pushed you more towards a no-kill/no-detection play through which usually offered cool alternatives and the best ending/level-designs; Knife of Dunwall does the exact opposite. In the very first level it wants you to blow up a factory, leaving your target at the hands of another. Enemies are places in a way where blink-choke will not work and instead you are FORCED to use your 10 sleep darts per level. While you can skip some, I really missed the ability to slowly take apart a room using only blink and choke. In fact, the high chaos ending will reward you with a boss fight while the low chaos ending is a simple epilogue.

So what about the story?

I liked it. It started out slow but by the end of the second level it had me hooked and I was very excited to see how it plays out. Which is really disappointing because it just ends in the third mission.

The game is three missions total, and it feels rushed. I got the sense that Arcane was getting ready to do this 5-8 mission campaign where the ending is your meeting with Corvo and the good ending is you live, while the bad ending has you die.

No, it just ends and you are given a choice to kill or not kill a character you really could care less for.

Knife of Dunwall is like eating a burrito. The first few bites are amazing as the guacamole, chicken, cheese, and beans mix together to create an orgasm of flavor. However, it all ends poorly as you burrito runs out of guacamole and you are given the choice between corn or lettuce. Both are decent but you don't really care for either.

So was it worth the 10 bucks? yeah, I think it was.
Do I recommend it? No, I really don't. If it was longer or ended better I would have loved it but it just left a poor non-guacamole filled pit in my stomach.

I give Dishonored: Knife of Dunwall a 2/5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Aladdin's Castle All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: