Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Aladdin's Castle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlMightyBob
Dictator-Elect
Dictator-Elect

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:22 am 
Post subject: Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
Top Reply with quote

Chivalry is primarily a first-person medieval war cry simulator with some great melee combat mechanics attached. It evolved from a popular HL2 mod (Age of Chivalry) and was kickstarted last year into a fully-fledged UDK title.

No singleplayer here, it's all about diving into a server and swinging your sword/mace/spear/fists at other bow/hammer/axe/cutlass wielding folk. The meat of the game is the combat. It has to be good and, thankfully, it's great. If you played PVK2, it's kinda like that but better. There's a few good tutorials to explain how it works better than I could here and here. You can have some really intense duels and if you lose, you never feel like it was unfair or the game fucked you over. You did something wrong and you can improve for next time like any skill. It's just god damn satisfying. Chivalry has got that good feel. When you slash someones head off it just feels right. Even getting your own head slashed off is more than a novelty.

The other great part of the game is the sounds. There are tons of different voice clips for each class on each team, a bit like TF2. Pressing Z or X brings up a menu if you wanna taunt someone with a little shakespeare or yell 'You're welcome!' right after you stab their face in. Sprinting and pressing C unleashes your battle cry which might be the best part of the game.

Quick mention to the classes you can play as; there's plenty of playstyles accomodated. There are 4, each with a specialty: Vanguard, Knight, Man-at-Arms and Archer. The first 3 are melee focused and, well, the archer is an archer.

Man-at-Arms is your light, speedy class. His special lets him dodge in any direction with a button or double-tapping in that direction at the cost of stamina. You wanna move in quick with this guy and hit without being hit back.

Knight is your slow, heavy damage dealer. His specialty is just being a tank with more health.

The Vanguard is inbetween those 2 and can fuck you up with his long, piercing weapons. His specialty is the ability to do a charge attack with his main weapon by sprinting and leaping at the enemy.

Finally, the Archer is a solid support class. Their specialty is to fuck up your duels by sniping you from behind that rock. Actually, they get a 50% backstab bonus.

Once you pick your class, you pick your 2 weapons (primary and secondary) and a misc. 3rd item like a shield or a fire pot. You unlock more weapons by getting kills wth them. 25 kills with a sword will net a similar sword and then 75 kills with that one will get you last one in that set. They tend to be sidegrades rather than upgrades so you're essentially unlocking new playstyles which is a nice touch. You'll run of things to unlock at some point but it'll last you a decent amount of time.

This game is just pure fun. The skill ceiling is extremely high so you can always improve and feel challenged and if you wanna just run around with your fists out screaming for the hills then you can do that too. Possibly both at the same time. I like Chivalry, it's a game made with love. If the theme was pirates rather than medieval knights then I think a lot of you would be enjoying it already too.

Dumb bonus video!
BarytaQ
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:10 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Ok, so after this awesome review and watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvW5h5KqxU4

I must have this game.
User-posted image
Messy Recipe
El Gran Capitán
<b>El Gran Capitán</b>

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:27 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_3VZDb7pj4
AlMightyBob
Dictator-Elect
Dictator-Elect

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:47 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Cheapest you'll find it just now is probably on GMG with this 20% off code: GMG20-FDSCL-AQQXD

Goes on sale somewhat often though, I've seen it go for about £6 (like $10).
Erwin Rommel
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:47 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Look it's Siege:MW, but actually playable.
Hanna Banana
Sailor
Sailor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:46 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Messy Recipe wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_3VZDb7pj4

Dammit Messy! I was totally going to post that video.
atatme
Atatame Who?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:00 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I picked up this game last night, its mad hard. I love hard games. Its also incredibly fun and super satisfying whenever you crush someones skull
AlMightyBob
Dictator-Elect
Dictator-Elect

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:36 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

66% off on Steam for the next 18 hours only!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Aladdin's Castle All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: