Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
Biggest Disappointment of the Year, at least I think so.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> TV, Music and Movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eugene
Sleepuls

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:21 am 
Post subject: Biggest Disappointment of the Year, at least I think so.
Top Reply with quote

In 1963, during the month of November, one William Hartnell stunned British TV audiences everywhere as he stepped inside a Police box bigger on the inside. That shows was Doctor Who, it is the longest running sci-fi show on TV, with this year being its 50th.

The BBC execs have promised a huge celebration, an episode that invades TV!

I was excited, in the past we have had the 5-hour war games. The regular 2 hour stories, the 5 Doctors which was the 25 year special, was 2 hours long. In the relaunch in 2005 we saw 1-2 hour stories. The regeneration episode of the 10th Doctor was a 2-hour special broken on Christmas and New Years.

What could they cook for us up this year?

60 minutes...

Sherlock, is 90 minutes per episode.

The 25-year special was 2 hours.

The 50 year special, which is rumored to have all 11 Doctors, the first TV appearance of the 8th Doctor, the return of classic enemies, and so on.

60 Minutes...

I have never been so disappointed at a studio exec in my life. In comparison, Big Finish is featuring a a 2 hour audio drama with at least 5 of the currently alive Doctors, and possible rumors of the other 3 alive ones showing up. They have half the budget of the BBC.

User-posted image
AlMightyBob
Dictator-Elect
Dictator-Elect

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:24 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Cause quantity > quality, right?
Eugene
Sleepuls

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:08 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I am sorry that is such a stupid fucking argument. Is quantity better than quality? It fucking depends. Would you rather have 100 bucks or a really nice looking penny? Would you rather have 3 burgers, or 1 really good one?

My whole point is: In the past, they have had amazing specials. They can do amazing two-parters, hell BBC is throwing all kind of money at Doctor Who. They can make a really good and long episode. It just feels that after all the build-up, and talk of a special a 60 minute one is a let down ESPECIALLY because we only get 7 episodes this year as opposed to the usual 14 AND they got rid of two-parters despite having some great ones.
Stealth
▲RAWR TRIANGLE RAWR▲

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:53 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Let me clarify his point.

Overall, it sounds like you're preemptively judging an episode that hasn't aired yet, which could be one of the most amazing episodes to air, even if it's only 60 minutes.

Has Doctor Who let you down yet?

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Eugene
Sleepuls

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:06 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

It has, in the most recent season there was an episode called the power of three. It built up to this amazing tension, it had everything we wanted. Usually there would be a part two where The Doctor wraps everything up and defeats the baddy. However in the last five minutes we find out who and why, only to have The Doctor deus ex machina the problem away.

Granted they can do some powerful 60 minute episodes, but for all the build up I am really scared it will be a let down and fail miserably like the "Two Doctors" episode of the 80s.
Vlad Piranha
Dictator-Elect
Dictator-Elect

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:56 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Beware of writers trying to build something up in an effort to make it more profound, especially if it's to please a particular crowd. That breeds dangers like fan service, political preaching, or pretentious, existentialist crap. Whether you liked it or not, it was obvious that The Dark Knight Rises was jumping the shark as hard as it could in an effort to outdo critical expectations and blow the audience's hair back.

My favorite TV series of all time, Sliders, only had one episode that was nominated for an award. Ironically, that success ended up derailing the series. The writers took a show that originally had stories relatively independent of one another (X-files style) and began to build an overarching plot based upon that one episode that poisoned everything. This is what happens when you alter your course in an effort to seek validation of some kind.

I recently saw the final episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000 for the very first time (at long last) and was pleased to find out that the show didn't simply end abruptly due to cancellation, but was given a conclusive finale. The genius of the episode is that, aside from the winding down, it was 'business as usual'. The guys did what they always did and made no compromises. In the end, that was more satisfying than any 'two hour, prime-time television event' could ever have been.

After 50 years of aging sometimes disgracefully, the James Bond series celebrated its milestone with Skyfall. Word got out during production that it was made very low budget compared to previous entries, due to financial difficulties with MGM. Many fans thought the news signaled doom for the film. Fans were shocked that, without grandiose special effects, the film was forced to go back to formula and ended up being the best Bond film in recent memory (Check Quantum of Solace against the existentialist crap argument above).

My point is that high expectations can lead to huge disappointment. Just be glad that Dr. Who felt like being Dr. Who that night and nothing else. The absence of bad news can sometimes, in itself, be good news.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> TV, Music and Movies All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: