Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
Autoscramble & Vote Scramble

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Team Fortress 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Messy Recipe
El Gran Capitán
<b>El Gran Capitán</b>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:32 am 
Post subject: Autoscramble & Vote Scramble
Top Reply with quote

I planned on doing this awhile ago but only just now started looking into it... I've currently disabled voting on the server (all voting), because we tend to have enough admins around to kick people, and because lately it people have been doing the vanilla TF2 vote scramble or map restart votes fairly often, which even when they pass seem to piss people off and make them leave.

Normal vanilla TF2 autoscramble and autobalance are still on, though I think the scramble is not that good, in that it seems to not scramble sometimes even when one team is repeatedly winning.

I've also updated the gScramble plugin, which seemed to not properly be detecting some commands (such as !votescramble), even though some parts were working. Currently, it is not really enabled in that it won't ever actually attempt to scramble or balance -- the vanilla TF2 stuff is still handling all of that. But it should be able to force a scramble.

I did set gScramble to have what I think are some pretty good settings for both though, in case we switch over to that -- such as not autobalancing engineers with buildings, or scrambling medics with ubercharge if a scramble is triggered during a round. Don't think any of that will kick in until we actually start using it though.

I think one downside of potentially switching to gScramble though is that it's not quite as clean as the vanilla scramble. It kind of just outright kills everyone to switch them, and adds time to the setup clock to put it back to 60, whereas the builtin one does it between rounds. Also gScramble's voting doesn't use the nice menu, it makes people use the chat commands. But it can do a scramble without resetting the clock until map reload, and a passed scramble vote can be made to only take effect upon the round ending.

Anyway, I think we should experiment with different settings a bit and see what stops steamrolls without being too annoying. gScramble has options to scramble based on score or stats ranking too instead of just randomly, or to scramble based on relative kills or points instead of just round wins, so it could be a lot more effective.
junkyard
Sailor
Sailor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:52 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Nice, I was actually thinking of bringing up this topic myself.

First off,

Messy Recipe wrote:

not autobalancing engineers with buildings, or scrambling medics with ubercharge

hnnnnnnnnnnnng

On topic, I agree with disabling the votescramble for the time being. Its true that even when the vote passes, the majority of people are still pissed off about it.

I'm not sure what the trigger is for tf2's scrambler, but I have noticed it kicking in sometimes when it probably shouldnt, and not kicking in when it definitely should.

Personally, I like the sound of using the gscramble more than the vanilla one. While it's true that the vanilla scrambling between rounds is a tad cleaner, gscrambling mid-round resets the clocks, which kind of makes it more of a do-over than an interruption. At least in my opinion, hah.

The lack of menu seems like the only real downside to me. I have no idea what I'm talking about, but is there possibly a plugin for making custom in-game popups? If there is, maybe it would be possible to make a notification that someone has started a scramble vote in chat, to draw more attention to it? (Not to make more work for you D: )
BarytaQ
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:53 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Usually the autoscramble is triggered if a team has won 4 rounds in a row (Egypt 1-3 on offense and the Egypt 1 on defense)
User-posted image
Berry Punch
Pony HATER

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:29 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Autoscramble usually makes the worst kinds of scrambles that don't benefit the team on a losing streak.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Team Fortress 2 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: