Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
Needed: Calc 2 tutor
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pharaoh Man
Sailor
Sailor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:23 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Hey Erwin. What you listed for Calc 2 and 3 are all included in my Calc 2 stuff.

None of it is particularly soul crushing hard, but there's so much material. I'll remember how to do trig substitutions and I'll forget how to do polar coordinates. There's so much stuff and my exam is at Monday at 8am.

I'm pretty terrified to be honest. I'll study a lot this weekend and try to get some help.
Erwin Rommel
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:51 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Well good luck. I'm sure we'd be happy to try and address any specific questions.
Messy Recipe
El Gran Capitán
<b>El Gran Capitán</b>

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:24 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

The way to conceptually remember polar coordinates (and spherical, but you're prolly not doing that in II) is just to remember that they work the way people actually think of the locations of things. That is, if you're going to point at where an object is, you're not going to think of it as "x steps over and y steps up/down," you're going to think of it as "in that direction, this far away." Polar coordinates are just that: the angle is the direction and the radius is how far from the origin it is.

If you have to convert, then that's also remembering trig. Razz If that's the part you're forgetting then it sounds like you should probably focus on getting really comfortable with triangles. Make sure you know how the equations for X and Y here are obtained from "SoCaToa" and such:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Polar_to_cartesian.svg
Erwin Rommel
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:47 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Pharaoh Man wrote:
Hey Erwin. What you listed for Calc 2 and 3 are all included in my Calc 2 stuff.

Are you on semesters or quarters? We're on quarters so Calc I-III is a single year.
Raed
Stoned Angry Gamer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:43 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I've found Khan Academy to be a great help.
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:53 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Khan Academy is decent but I feel like it's kind of sloppy? IDK, I've just never personally gotten a lot from them, but others disagree. He does cover a lot of material. He was on 60 min recently.

For math tutorials, this guy is better... should have posted this before:
http://patrickjmt.com/

Also there are online lectures from MIT OCW somewhere.

Anyway, sounds like PM already had his exam??? Hope he did well...
Pharaoh Man
Sailor
Sailor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:42 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Hey guys. Just got back. I used the following guides to study over the weekend, I just picked one my friends recommended and didn't have time to shop around for the best:
http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcII/CalcII.aspx

The cheat sheets came in handy. I'm pretty sure I failed the exam despite my study, as most of the things I studied (reinforcing my strong suit, series and con/divergence) were not represented well on the test, and it was 70% integrals, which I'm poor at.

I'm just guessing I have a D overall in the class, which would be my first D ever. I have mixed feelings about it, sad that I'm too dumb to understand math, happy that a D is good enough to progress with my degree. I guess I'll know in a week when grades are posted.
Erwin Rommel
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:52 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

It's almost certainly not being too dumb.

It sounds to me like some of your fundamentals might have been weak coming in. It's almost impossible to learn something new when you're always having to remind yourself of the definitions of things.

This is easily the #1 problem my students have had in every class I've taught.
Pharaoh Man
Sailor
Sailor

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:08 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I got a 70 on my final.

By my calculations this is the exact minimum score I needed to get a C in the class. A 69 would have put me to a D.

I had no idea what I was doing but maybe my diligent scribbling got me enough partial credit. Maybe the professor showed mercy. Maybe my calculations were wrong and I needed a 71 to get a C, and I got a D regardless.

In any case, it certainly wasn't because of my expertise with calculus, and I'm proud of myself.
RCSI
The YARR Master
The YARR Master

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:32 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Either way, congrats.
Erwin Rommel
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:04 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Pharaoh Man wrote:
I got a 70 on my final.

By my calculations this is the exact minimum score I needed to get a C in the class. A 69 would have put me to a D.

I had no idea what I was doing but maybe my diligent scribbling got me enough partial credit. Maybe the professor showed mercy. Maybe my calculations were wrong and I needed a 71 to get a C, and I got a D regardless.

I've done this. "This person needs a 70. If I give 4/6 points instead of 3/6 on this problem, they'll pass. Otherwise they won't. Eh, why the hell not?"

Quote:
In any case, it certainly wasn't because of my expertise with calculus, and I'm proud of myself.

Not sure if it's worth being proud of then, but congrats nonetheless!
atatme
Atatame Who?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:00 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Quote:
Not sure if it's worth being proud of then, but congrats nonetheless!

It could be a very strong stance on his ability to problem solve
RCSI
The YARR Master
The YARR Master

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:40 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Stealing your thread for a moment to post my scores:

Just took my final, 76 (completely blanked on a Taylor series problem) keeping me at a B- in the class. Overall I could have done better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Crow's Nest All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: