Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
Any experience with 120Hz monitors, or IPS panels?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Computer Tech Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Messy Recipe
El Gran Capitán
<b>El Gran Capitán</b>

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:42 am 
Post subject: Any experience with 120Hz monitors, or IPS panels?
Top Reply with quote

I'm debating between getting two Dell monitors: The U2311H and the AW2310. The U2311H is an IPS panel, which apparently has better colors but may be a bit slower and possibly have a purple glow when showing black or darkness....the AW2310 is a normal TN panel, but is definitely faster and has a 120Hz refresh rate. It also supports NVIDIA 3D. And I bought a GPU that will definitely be able to push out enough FPS to make use of that refresh rate (the GTX 580).

Has anyone ever used either kind of monitor -- or maybe even one of these? So far I've only used 60Hz TN panel screens....my current screen on my laptop has great colors anyway though because it's got RGB LEDs instead of the standard WLED.

I'm not sure if I'd notice a difference with either of them -- but I do notice miniscule jitters in FPS so I may notice the faster rate too, and on the other side, I am used to the wide color range I currently have.
2shoes
1337 CT badass bow
1337 CT badass bow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:19 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

i have the AW2210 not too bad everything looks nice on it extra usbs on it helps out

...if pirates stays on bf1942 i'd hate to see the community grow even smaller, but i know i'll always be around and i hope the rest of you will too!

Special Jimmy wrote:
This mod is rightfully ours, and fuck everyone that stands in our way.

fair winds and following seas, lil shoes 8/3/94-6/23/09
Messy Recipe
El Gran Capitán
<b>El Gran Capitán</b>

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:42 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Do you notice any difference in from the higher refresh rate? Or for that matter, have you tried 3D stuff on it?
Legomaniac
Deckswab
Deckswab

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:03 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

While the other monitor may have 3D support, I would suggest going for an IPS panel. While I don't have one for my computer, my modded Nook Color has one that produces an astonishing 178 degree viewing angle.

I don't think this is the specific model that you mentioned, but engadget recently had an article on a Dell IPS panel with a 2 million to one contrast ratio at a decent price.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/25/dell-ultrasharp-u2412m-display-features-1080p-resolution-and-ips/

Basically with my nook color, even though the resolution isn't the highest, the quality of screen is noticeably better than a non-IPS lcd. In fact, when I had my Nook Color out in class 2 people, independent of each other, commented on how nice of a screen it had.

But you are right, faster responding IPS panels that allow 3D are brand new, and really haven't hit the states yet in affordable fashion, so if you want 3D you will probably have to wait on the IPS. There are some out there, but only in China at the moment.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/28/ips-and-3d-come-together-in-mitsubishis-new-23-inch-display/

Hope this helps, too bad you have to choose between the superior viewing angles and color saturation of and IPS and 3D capability, but for now this is the way it must be. Good luck with your purchase regardless, after all you do want something you stare at all the time to be of good quality.
2shoes
1337 CT badass bow
1337 CT badass bow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:08 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

USAF 777 wrote:
Do you notice any difference in from the higher refresh rate? Or for that matter, have you tried 3D stuff on it?
nope on the first and nope on the second

...if pirates stays on bf1942 i'd hate to see the community grow even smaller, but i know i'll always be around and i hope the rest of you will too!

Special Jimmy wrote:
This mod is rightfully ours, and fuck everyone that stands in our way.

fair winds and following seas, lil shoes 8/3/94-6/23/09
Messy Recipe
El Gran Capitán
<b>El Gran Capitán</b>

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:08 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Hmm well after reading your guy's advice I was thinking of the IPS.... but then I looked over the specs again, and noticed that the Alienware actually has a slightly wider color gamut. Confused

Also I'm not sure if viewing angles is really as much of a plus since I'm always in front of it, and all the ones I'm looking at have full tilt/pivot/swivel/height adjust to compensate if I'm ever not. So I might still get the AW2310, as I am also kinda curious to see what 120Hz is like....though, that new 24" you linked uses LED (the others are CCFL) and first words I've seen on the speed indicate it's less than a frame behind CRT.

Anyway, I remembered that my dad's home office setup has two monitors (really two systems with Synergy), one of which is about due for an upgrade if only to match the other, so I might try em both out anyway and then send one of them to him as a replacement for that.

Shoes: Are you sure yours is set up with a Dual-Link DVI cord (needed for 120Hz), and set to use the higher rate in games and the desktop? If so.... do you notice a difference if you turn it back down to 60Hz? I've seen some people say that without comparing side-by-side, they don't notice the upgrade at first, but that they do when they go back to the lower rate after being used to 120.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Computer Tech Section All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: