Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
Help with some new parts for a new pc
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Computer Tech Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nugget
Hax0r
Hax0r

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:22 pm 
Post subject: Help with some new parts for a new pc
Top Reply with quote

I've been debating all summer if I should build a new pc or not. The past few days I've picked out a few pieces that I think I'll buy in the next week or so. Do you think this parts will work together and/or have any better suggestions?

Antec Twelve Hundred 750 Blue Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case 750W Power Supply

EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/xCool LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-870 Lynnfield 2.93GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I7870

CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1333C9

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Also have these in mine for HDD and RAM:

Western Digital Caviar Green WD15EARS 1.5TB 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ[/list]

As of now I'm going to reuse my video card and cd/dvd drives and upgrade them at a later time.
User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Xfire Username
Atomiktoaster
Sailor
Sailor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:11 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

That won't work at all. You have a LGA 1366 motherboard and an LGA 1156 CPU.

I'd look for a LGA 1156 motherboard and use 2x2GB DDR3 1333. Not sure which CPU I'd pick.

What's your current GPU?
Nugget
Hax0r
Hax0r

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:57 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Currently have a 512MB GDDR3 XFX GeForce 9800 GT
User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Xfire Username
Brutus
BuffNerd
BuffNerd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:06 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Would also recommend the Raptor 10,000 HDs. It makes a noticeable difference without a noticeable price.

Probably dont need SLI plurality mobo either if using an older card. By the time you update you likely get way more performance out of a single newer card (that isnt that much more expensive than a new duplicate of your current video card).
Atomiktoaster
Sailor
Sailor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:17 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I'd go SSD, rather than raptors. If you don't have a heavy program load, you should be able to get away with a 64 gb boot drive, maybe 80.
Nugget
Hax0r
Hax0r

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:26 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Just saw this bundle on new egg and it looks worthwhile

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.476024
User-posted image
Nugget
Hax0r
Hax0r

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:29 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I think I narrowed my search down to two bundles

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.476024

which i would use my current sound card with

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.480126

which i would use my sound card and video card for the time being.
User-posted image
Atomiktoaster
Sailor
Sailor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:22 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I'd go with the first one, of the two. You get the bigger PSU, if you want to SLI ever. The GTS 250 isn't a huge upgrade from a 9800, so that's not a great deal either.

It's up to you whether you want to go 1366 instead of 1156. I might lean toward the cheaper architecture still.
Nugget
Hax0r
Hax0r

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:21 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Atomiktoaster wrote:
I'd go with the first one, of the two. You get the bigger PSU, if you want to SLI ever. The GTS 250 isn't a huge upgrade from a 9800, so that's not a great deal either.

It's up to you whether you want to go 1366 instead of 1156. I might lean toward the cheaper architecture still.

So the second one then because thats the one with the larger PSU?
User-posted image
Atomiktoaster
Sailor
Sailor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:55 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Yeah. I got confused since I had both tabs open.
Nugget
Hax0r
Hax0r

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:12 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Parts were ordered as of noon today

- Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
- GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
- GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-1GI GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
- Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930
- COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler
- COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
- OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK
- COOLER MASTER Silent Pro RS850-AMBAJ3-US 850W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active
User-posted image
Brutus
BuffNerd
BuffNerd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:14 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Cool. I had my first DOA the other day - a high end corsair PSU. :/

Always good to see folks making stuff themselves. I cast my first lead bullets the other day. The savings works out to about $40 an hour for DIY bullets. Razz
Atomiktoaster
Sailor
Sailor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:11 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I had a Corsair HX1000 go bad in less than a week. It wasn't DOA, but a bitch to troubleshoot. I sent it back under the warranty to Corsair without much fuss.
Brutus
BuffNerd
BuffNerd

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:00 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I sent mine back to newegg. bad parts ftl... no more corsair.
Nugget
Hax0r
Hax0r

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:47 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

The beast is now unleashed and ready to hax0r
User-posted image
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Computer Tech Section All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: