Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
Computer for GF (and yes I'll actually do it this time)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Computer Tech Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Royal Assassin
Deckswab
Deckswab

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:04 pm 
Post subject: Computer for GF (and yes I'll actually do it this time)
Top Reply with quote

I have a list of parts that I have for a project I'm building for a girlfriend of mine for when she moves out of her parents home (as a present).

anyway here is the list of parts. note this does NOT include the case or any case mods such as lighted case fans and crap (i'm getting this stuff at newegg, while the case and case-related stuff comes from xoxide). This is the 2nd revision i've done to it. I've added notes to note changes from my original idea.

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 Socket 939 ULi M1695 ATX AMD Motherboard. (NOTE #1) $66.99

Video Card: SAPPHIRE 100144L Radeon X1600PRO 256MB GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card (NOTE #2) $111.00

Power supply: ASPIRE ATX-AS520W BLACK ATX 520W Power Supply $59.99

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 1GHz HT Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3200BPBOX - Retail (NOTE #3) $152.00

Memory: (2x) WINTEC AMPO 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model 35145588-P - (NOTE #4) $69.99

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA NCQ ST3120827AS 120GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM $69.99

CDWriter/DVD writer: LITE-ON Combo Drive Black ATAPI/E-IDE Model SOHC-5236V-61 - OEM $24.99

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home With SP2 - OEM $89.95

MISC: Battlefield 2 PC game $44.99

total: $685.08

NOTES:

#1: Was formerly an ASUS p5nd2-SLI board. Replaced because of the switch to AMD core. Also because SLI board is not nessecary when using an ATI VGA card.

#2: was Formerly two XFX geforce 6600GTs. Replaced due to costs, and lack of SLI on current motherboard.

#3: Was formerly an Intel LGA775 socket Prescot 3.0GHz Cpu. I've been told multiple times by many people to try AMD for gaming boxes, so I decided to try that route instead. Also rotated out due to slightly more expensive costs.

#4:Was formerly x2 512mb of DDR2 ram. Replaced because AMD boards require ddr1. its still the same amount of ram though (1gb)

#5: (not anywhere on the list) I had a hyper +6 Heatsink in here, but I removed that. I might be going to liquid cooling for my own computer, so if I do, hers will get my Zalman that I have on here. otherwise if I don't, I'll add the Hyper 6+ back on here.
Wang Chung
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:10 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145440 wtf?
Royal Assassin
Deckswab
Deckswab

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:58 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

does it make much of a difference? if so, how so?
theboomboom
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:39 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

You got a lucky lady Royal. Both your mem and the mem he posted are compatible, and I actually think he uses corsair valueselect (i know i do). Its good stuff and it looks like it'll only cost ya a little more. Now if you needed to save a wittle dinero, you could probably cut back in a lot of places, unless your gf knows whats up with comps. And all of that stuff should be pretty upgradeable in the future, so if you were really cutting pennies i suppose you could go with half the ram and maybe a slightly older video card and then eventually upgrade them when you need to.

Also, don't forget about monitors, keyboards, speakers, mics, etc (but I suppose she already has those).

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Xfire Username MSN Messenger
Royal Assassin
Deckswab
Deckswab

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:51 pm 
Post subject: Ajustments
Top Reply with quote

Heres some adjustments I've made to the original plan. Note I'll only show the adjustments here, not the entire list.

I've made a few reviosns to the list. Note though that I'll only post the CHANGES, not the whole list over again.

MOBO change: ASUS A8N5X Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

VGA card change: GECUBE RX1600PRO-512M PCIE Radeon X1600PRO 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

thanks to the killer bananas forum members for the suggestions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Computer Tech Section All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: