Affiliates
---------------------
Navigation :: The Cut Throats
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
Vid card upgrade
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Computer Tech Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theboomboom
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:22 pm 
Post subject: Vid card upgrade
Top Reply with quote

I'm looking to upgrade from my AIW card to something like a Geforce 6800. I stumbled across this card and it looked pretty cool.
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814121216
The three things I noticed people either praising or cursing in the reviews are the 512mb of memory, the 128bit memory interface and the GDDR2 memory type. Would this card be good for gaming, or does the memory interface and memory type rule it out as a decent card?

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Xfire Username MSN Messenger
massive
Captain Ass Kicking Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:12 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

decent card for AGP. Too bad you don't have PCIe, the you could pounce on di baby:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121213
Stealth
▲RAWR TRIANGLE RAWR▲

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:34 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I currently have the GeForce 6800, but it's PCI-E

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
theboomboom
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:24 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

This is the other card I am looking at.
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814130274
Obviously, it is better for gaming. But, it would break boomboom's poor little piggy bank.

Do y'all should I skimp now and then get some freaky fast PCI-E setup later, or just go with the 7800 so it'll last longer?

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Xfire Username MSN Messenger
firefox_71
Old Fart
Old Fart

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:29 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

Go for broke and get the 7800 so you don't have to buy again for a while Wink

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Xfire Username Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RCSI
The YARR Master
The YARR Master

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:29 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

They have agp now Shocked

I'd also say go for the 7800 now.
DapperDan
Stoned Angry Gamer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:05 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

7800 now!

DD
massive
Captain Ass Kicking Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:18 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I dunno if ya skimped now, how long do you think you'd be satisfied before regretting that purchase? That being said, back in the day I would always stretch and buy the best could afford AND THEN I would sell my old board to my nephew (6 years younger) and recoupe some of the money for my next purchase Wink Got any young friends or relatives who are gamers and maybe want your old stuff?

The long term upside: the older ya get the less purchases like these seem to hurt!
ChrisT
John Jameson
<font color=#50C5FF><b>John Jameson</b></font>

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:32 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

firefox_71 wrote:
Go for broke and get the 7800 so you don't have to buy again for a while Wink

Dude 7800 on Ultra High settings FTW, and yes that's ultra high, you gotta HaX with msword 2 get it
theboomboom
Elite
Elite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:45 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I suppose in about a year or whatever I should have enough to upgrade to PCI-E, and that 7800 is lookin sooo sexy Very Happy

Thx for teh help

User-posted image
SupaFly
Gunner Fan Club President
Gunner Fan Club President

Location: sunnydale mental institution (for the mentally unstable) ((like me)) (((supa)))
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:35 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

ill vouch for the 7800.. bf2 on full settings ftw
DapperDan
Stoned Angry Gamer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:28 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

FYI, I went from a 6800GT PCI-X to a 7800GT PCI-X recently, and the difference is significant... so yeah, get the 7800!

DD
thuibeui
Deckswab
Deckswab

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:35 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

My video card is outclassed. I still use a GeForce 6200 I got for $40 Canadian. Its all a poor student could afford.
firefox_71
Old Fart
Old Fart

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:33 am 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

I saw one of those 6200's with 512MB on NewEgg or tiger the other day, is that the one you have? I'm curious to know how well it plays

User-posted image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Xfire Username Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
thuibeui
Deckswab
Deckswab

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:10 pm 
Post subject:
Top Reply with quote

It is a 128mb 4x/8x AGP card. It has 4 pipelines and a core clock of 350 mhz.

With it, I can play BF1942 with all video qualities turned to the max. However, I cannot play FH even if I turn down the video quality so I guess that the problem is with my processor, not the video card. I don't have that many graphics intensive games so I can't tell you how well it performs on something newer.

Nevertheless, it beats the tar out of the integrated stuff I had before. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Cut Throats Forum Index -> Computer Tech Section All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: